• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2005 Yukon XL

I’ve been running a snapon MM250 (“muscle mig) model 15 (can’t remember who it’s actually made by) but used it on the job at the truck equipment shop in the late 90’s, again at the plastics to fuel company about a decade ago. Other than that just occasional use at home.
Been an amazing welder- the stinger isn’t good, but swapping it out for a normal one and it’s great. If y’all see them used for sell- get it. The newest Miller is better, but the Miller available up until about 2007- the snappy was better. Has 100% duty cycle. That is a key thing in mig welders to check out before buying.

I’ve been running a snapon MM250 (“muscle mig) model 15 (can’t remember who it’s actually made by) but used it on the job at the truck equipment shop in the late 90’s, again at the plastics to fuel company about a decade ago. Other than that just occasional use at home.
Been an amazing welder- the stinger isn’t good, but swapping it out for a normal one and it’s great. If y’all see them used for sell- get it. The newest Miller is better, but the Miller available up until about 2007- the snappy was better. Has 100% duty cycle. That is a key thing in mig welders to check out before buying.
I saw a 120v Snap On unit for $500 in the local Marketplace. Most of the little welders are 20%, some 30%. This little YesWelder is 60% at max amp. Friggin crazy.

Two things that will cause it to plug, moisture in the line(usually from the air compressor) and too small of an air compressor ( pressure drops without you realizing).
I ran it on our Quincy compressor at work. Guessing it's 80 to 100 gallons, with a water separator in line. Still has moist water at times if you don't drain the tank, and the separator which I did. Usually not bad in the winter either, more so in the summer.

if your able to on the HF blaster, shoot plain air through it and check to see if it has good suction from the pickup tube in the media can. I'm wondering since you increased the jet size that it may have altered it's ability to have the best suction. as far as the gun it's self goes, I have seen guys use a simple air suction blower (the kind that picks up water or other liquid with a small hose in a bucket) and use them as sand blasting guns. something like that might work for the type of media your using.

one other thought is the play sand from the local home depot works great too after it's been dried out.

So the main reason I bored it out was that I couldn't get any media to pass through on my first test run. Chalked it up to POS HF junk, once I head about mods I figured I would try it (otherwise was gonna scrap it as is). It's definitely better now than before, which is what makes me think it's the media. I ran it through a big 200lb blaster pot before, and this was my remnants. The big blaster was highly industrialized, and I be could handle the "medium" media. Will find out tomorrow when I pick up finer media if my hunch is correct.

The YesWelder showed up. So far looks good. Has some ergonomic issues with hooking up the MIG gun (connections stupid close, requiring pinky use to tighten), should only need to do this once. The roller drive lock is plastic, and difficult to remove to change rollers. Only have to do this once unless I swap wire sizes. Also the tint wing nut is fumblesome to mount while holding the 2lb spool preventing a "birdsnest".20230112_165851.jpg
The unit also came with an arc welding gun. It is ready for action, installed the wire. I want to replace the nozzle with a flux core version for visibility. Really need to be able to stitch weld 16ga, and 22ga metals on the Yukon.

I'd think you'd want to use gas for sheet metal. I've heard flux is quite a bit more aggressive and dirtier
Original intention was to use gas with my FP130, but since it is MIA I can't keep waiting for it. Watched quite a few YouTube videos on flux welding light steel. Gonna try my hand. Supposedly Flux is hotter (resulting in easier burn throughs), and like you said dirty from the flux coating. I'm not too worried about weld appearance on the rockers as they will be covered by the plastic door sill. We will see, going to practice a bit before touching the truck with some postcards.

Found a local 2000 Sierra 1500 for parts about 40 minutes away. Gonna dress like an Antarctician tomorrow with my old man, and hopefully collect a front bumper, drivers headlight bucket, maybe some fender flares, etc. I want to grab the rear bumper as well if its not rotted and straight, P.O. knifed a trailer to mine. From research I am more confused as people say fleetside truck bumpers are wider than SUV. SUV is the same dimensions as flareside. Just need to swap my plastics for the latter. I have a hard time believing the difference in width if the front bumpers have no difference? I measured my current bumper, and its 70-inches across. Will see if I get a different measurement tomorrow.

Back