• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2005 Yukon XL

Air die grinder with a 2" diameter Dremmel circular hacksaw blade chucked up in it?
What RPM are those rated for.
There is a diamond edged cut off wheel made for right angle grinders that works for a while. Does not make so much harmful smoke as the grinder style cutt off wheels, but, does not cut as fast too.
For the air impact chisel tool. There is one bit that is made for taking a slice out of sheet metal.
In this amazon pic, the first picture, it is the bit on the far right, the bit with a sort of a notch that is bent into a little finger that hangs out.
They work fast, can make nice curves and such with them too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What RPM are those rated for.
There is a diamond edged cut off wheel made for right angle grinders that works for a while. Does not make so much harmful smoke as the grinder style cutt off wheels, but, does not cut as fast too.
For the air impact chisel tool. There is one bit that is made for taking a slice out of sheet metal.
In this amazon pic, the first picture, it is the bit on the far right, the bit with a sort of a notch that is bent into a little finger that hangs out.
They work fast, can make nice curves and such with them too.
Hmm, never used one of these. Wonder how "clean" it cuts? I will try to get some better pics tomorrow of the area. The stupid rear HVAC stuff is what makes this so rough in terms of access.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I thing you on the right track, I need the smallest angle grinder I can get. Another tool I am thinking is one of those small air saws. Basically a mini reciprocating saw. Might be easier to get that in there.
I really like my cheap little air saw.
I can use regular sawzall blades in it. The Sawzall blades seem to hold up better.

I know squat about body work.
Is there a way to layer a piece of stainless to what you have left?

I really like my cheap little air saw.
I can use regular sawzall blades in it. The Sawzall blades seem to hold up better.

I know squat about body work.
Is there a way to layer a piece of stainless to what you have left?
Me too! 🤣. Just gonna wing it here, and see what becomes of it. Nearly all the upper rocker area is covered by a plastic door sill, and the lower is just spot welds so I should be able to hide ugliness if it happens.

So your thought is my "backup" method. Cut a piece, bend, and slide it in adjacent to the Swiss cheese. I would need to seal it together somehow. But would really like to just remove this area.

Me too! 🤣. Just gonna wing it here, and see what becomes of it. Nearly all the upper rocker area is covered by a plastic door sill, and the lower is just spot welds so I should be able to hide ugliness if it happens.

So your thought is my "backup" method. Cut a piece, bend, and slide it in adjacent to the Swiss cheese. I would need to seal it together somehow. But would really like to just remove this area.
That's usually my first plan when it comes to rust.
I clean, slob on a bunch of rust converter and then figure out how to attach some stainless.

I never got to involved with body repairs. Mostly just making things work. With no regards for aesthetics.

That's usually my first plan when it comes to rust.
I clean, slob on a bunch of rust converter and then figure out how to attach some stainless.

I never got to involved with body repairs. Mostly just making things work. With no regards for aesthetics.
It may come to that, and if I can make the seal I would be ok with it. It will be hidden way up underneath so nobody would notice. All depends on the access that I can generate with pulling back and protecting the HVAC lines. I don't think I want to go through the process of removal of those lines for this. The A/C back there is inoperable, so no Freon. However, I do plan on repairing the rear A/C eventually.

I thing you on the right track, I need the smallest angle grinder I can get. Another tool I am thinking is one of those small air saws. Basically a mini reciprocating saw. Might be easier to get that in there.

An air die grinder is much smaller than an angle grinder, it's basically an air powered Dremmel tool. It's about the same size as the body of a two C cell flashlight. Has a mini chuck on the end of it to take ⅛" shaft grinding stones. I discovered that the Dremmel-type circular saw blades also fit in the air die grinder's chuck. I used the air pressure regulator to slow the air die grinder down some to below the Dremmel's RPM to use the very fine toothed 2" circular saw blade to cut without overheating.

It may come to that, and if I can make the seal I would be ok with it. All depends on the access that I can generate with pulling back and protecting the HVAC lines. I don't think I want to go through the process of removal of those lines for this. The A/C back there is inoperable, so no Freon. However, I do plan on repairing the rear A/C eventually.
I had the rear ac lines replaced on all of our Suburbans at some point in time.

I had extra copper line sets from a furnace install that were used for one set.

I'm not sure how the install went, but the local body shop said it worked out pretty good.

Unclamped the rear HVAC lines from the backside of the inner rocker to create some "space". Drilled some more spot welds, contemplating on doing the front lower quarter on the passenger side as I created a hole digging for more rust. This will help me access the wheel well which also has a small quarter sized hole in it. The drivers side is in much better shape. I am now at the point where I need the small angle cutter as discussed earlier or a long reach grinder. Might just go pick up both at HF, wish they came in corded mode instead of pneumatic.... I don't have air in the back of the shop where the Yukon sits. Its a PITA to move it up front, I just don't have that time on my lunch breaks.20230103_122833.jpg20230103_123628.jpg20230103_123645.jpg20230103_124831.jpg20230103_125308.jpg

Remember, it's a die grinder, like what is used for head porting work with grinding stones. I found that the Dremmel tool-type little circular saw blades that are about 2" in diameter with a ⅛" shaft, chucked right up in it and with the blade speed slowed down I was able to cut through thin sheet steel (like 20 ga) fairly easily.

An air reciprocating body saw that uses hacksaw-type blades is good, just make sure you have enough back clearance so you don't ram the blade on the forward stroke into a panel behind what you're cutting and bend/break the blade - or have the blade so shallow that it comes out of the kerf on the backstroke and you bend/break the blade the same way.

Remember, it's a die grinder, like what is used for head porting work with grinding stones. I found that the Dremmel tool-type little circular saw blades that are about 2" in diameter with a ⅛" shaft, chucked right up in it and with the blade speed slowed down I was able to cut through thin sheet steel (like 20 ga) fairly easily.

An air reciprocating body saw that uses hacksaw-type blades is good, just make sure you have enough back clearance so you don't ram the blade on the forward stroke into a panel behind what you're cutting and bend/break the blade - or have the blade so shallow that it comes out of the kerf on the backstroke and you bend/break the blade the same way.
I actually do have a die grinder at home, will have to see if I have a disc for it.

use a good face shield too. I had gotten a carbide de-burring bit for my Dremmel one time from Home Depot to do some light edging on something a while back. I found out that little thing will eat and I mean carve some hefty metal in a hurry. I have used that thing on some thicker steel thinking I would have burned it up several times, but it's still sharp as a tack and keeps on eating!! It's great for hard to get at spots where a cut off wheel might go too far.

Got the inner rocker cut out. I actually mounted my die grinder cut off wheel to a drill and cut a good 1/3rd of it. The last 1/3rd I used a sawzall to go in from the wheel well towards the front. Id say the piece came out nicely:
20230104_123848.jpg20230104_132711.jpg20230104_132726.jpg20230104_132737.jpg

Back