• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Motor oil in your diesel fuel

The other part not mentioned as of yet is filtration can remove solids, but it does nothing for the chemistry of the used motor oil, yes grandpa & uncle billy ran tractors & truck for years on used oil, those were low psi injection and "dumb injection systems' we are talking 20,000 psi here in DMAX trucks, ever hear of extrude hone, they put grit into solution and polish parts (remove metal) now it's gonna take longer with minute solids but over time it's gonna degrade, plus your 2 micron filter a nominal 2 micron or an absolute one?

That is the solids part of the equation, now we have water and PH , just through normal condensation (& humidity) absorbtion you get water in your oil, also any trace coolant leakage from cooling system making it to your oil, heavy metals from normal wear and tear for moving engine parts, detrergents & additve in oil all combine to make a weak acid in your oil, (Bio-D makers treat their brew to proper Ph for a reason) now what comes from YOUR truck is probaly okay, but just what other crud might be in collected oil from elsewhere, IMO saving benefit does not justify the risk, and yes us 6.5 guys don't have high psi fuel systems, but our Achillies heel is the optic sensor/disk.

Until we got something saying otherwise I have to defer to mfr of fuel systems that used motor oil, trans or used anything that hasn't been properly blended for use as bio-D ain't good for longevity. Do what you will, IMO I would not be doing it to my "old 6.5" even less ambitious to do it on a common rail high psi, high $$$$ fuel system/engine. yes we all experiment but "wild catting" vs scientific study IMO you get a lot of wrong guesses before you get to the desired outcome, I don't have the $$$ to go SWAGging on my ride, (SWAG Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

Oh before you go saying TD is just grousing, I used to test/treat fuel 621,000 gal for ship propulsion/power generation use, and 40,000 gal for helicopters (never had a helo crash or ship quit moving when I was "Oil King" musta been doing something rite) been a while since I had to do that on regular basis; but I do got a piece of paper somewhere when I graduated from propulsion & aviation fuels school (top of class from that school BTW) that says I'm qualified to opine on things like fuel quality.

But I still have to be cognizant of fuel used in turbines I work on and fuel properties are something we are very keen on, we get many turbines that fail because of poor fuel issues, hot spots burning combustors/turbine blades because fuel nozzles (injectors) no longer atomize they direct spray solid streams of fuel at only 700-800 psi at max power, (imagine what a gunked DMax injector at 20,000 psi does to piston tops) .

Granted turbines fire at a lot higher firing temp than our Diesels do but junk in fuel has same negative effects in any I.C.E. , I would not add any junk period to my fuel, clean new oil 2cycle would be okay; but heck it's hard enough to find quality fuel from fuel stops, and you are voluntariliy adding crud to yours, ain't smart IMO, but as others have said do what you will.

Then there is the whole "legal/taxation aspect" we won't go there that is P&R topic; Al Gore et als in tree hugging crowd can K.M.A. I don't believe the global warming hoax, nor the obscence profits being made while "saving the earth" by "green elitists".
Tim, I don't even have the words to say in response to this post.........freakin' awesome........thanks for explaining what I have been thinking about all these other "alternative" fuels, namely used motor oil or ATF. I work too hard to pay for my expensive truck to test it on different fuels and "see what happens", but some will do what they may. Maybe they'll run 4ever, maybe not. I am guessing not. Cheers......:cheers2:

The other part not mentioned as of yet is filtration can remove solids, but it does nothing for the chemistry of the used motor oil, yes grandpa & uncle billy ran tractors & truck for years on used oil, those were low psi injection and "dumb injection systems' we are talking 20,000 psi here in DMAX trucks, ever hear of extrude hone, they put grit into solution and polish parts (remove metal) now it's gonna take longer with minute solids but over time it's gonna degrade, plus your 2 micron filter a nominal 2 micron or an absolute one?

That is the solids part of the equation, now we have water and PH , just through normal condensation (& humidity) absorbtion you get water in your oil, also any trace coolant leakage from cooling system making it to your oil, heavy metals from normal wear and tear for moving engine parts, detrergents & additve in oil all combine to make a weak acid in your oil, (Bio-D makers treat their brew to proper Ph for a reason) now what comes from YOUR truck is probaly okay, but just what other crud might be in collected oil from elsewhere, IMO saving benefit does not justify the risk, and yes us 6.5 guys don't have high psi fuel systems, but our Achillies heel is the optic sensor/disk.

Until we got something saying otherwise I have to defer to mfr of fuel systems that used motor oil, trans or used anything that hasn't been properly blended for use as bio-D ain't good for longevity. Do what you will, IMO I would not be doing it to my "old 6.5" even less ambitious to do it on a common rail high psi, high $$$$ fuel system/engine. yes we all experiment but "wild catting" vs scientific study IMO you get a lot of wrong guesses before you get to the desired outcome, I don't have the $$$ to go SWAGging on my ride, (SWAG Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

Oh before you go saying TD is just grousing, I used to test/treat fuel 621,000 gal for ship propulsion/power generation use, and 40,000 gal for helicopters (never had a helo crash or ship quit moving when I was "Oil King" musta been doing something rite) been a while since I had to do that on regular basis; but I do got a piece of paper somewhere when I graduated from propulsion & aviation fuels school (top of class from that school BTW) that says I'm qualified to opine on things like fuel quality.

But I still have to be cognizant of fuel used in turbines I work on and fuel properties are something we are very keen on, we get many turbines that fail because of poor fuel issues, hot spots burning combustors/turbine blades because fuel nozzles (injectors) no longer atomize they direct spray solid streams of fuel at only 700-800 psi at max power, (imagine what a gunked DMax injector at 20,000 psi does to piston tops) .

Granted turbines fire at a lot higher firing temp than our Diesels do but junk in fuel has same negative effects in any I.C.E. , I would not add any junk period to my fuel, clean new oil 2cycle would be okay; but heck it's hard enough to find quality fuel from fuel stops, and you are voluntariliy adding crud to yours, ain't smart IMO, but as others have said do what you will.

Then there is the whole "legal/taxation aspect" we won't go there that is P&R topic; Al Gore et als in tree hugging crowd can K.M.A. I don't believe the global warming hoax, nor the obscence profits being made while "saving the earth" by "green elitists".

Very well stated TD, I wish I was half as eloquent as you.

Tim
Respecting your credentials....
Do you think its ok to run a 1/2-1 ounce of Supertch Outboard 2 cycle engine in our diesel tanks ???

Not to butt in, but the 2-cycle, as long as TCW-3 rated, seems to be good for adding lubricity to ULSD. I have been using it for 2 years and get better mileage, a little quieter engine, and haven't had any problems. In the lubricity additive study, it was found to provide good lube over many other diesel additives, but keep in mind, that is the ONLY benefit. It doesn't disperse water or add cetane boost, etc.......living in Texas, you shouldn't have to worry about the other stuff, but even if you did, just run a little Stanadyne, FPPF, or Power Service.

Many thanks KB

I'll be adding some TCW-2 s cycle oil before I head back home tonight.
I have about 15 gallons of dino diesel in the tank. Am I ok with an ounce of the oil per gallon ?

Yeah, no problem. If you have about 15 gallons of diesel, buy one of the small bottles at Wally when you get the gallon. You can also reuse that small bottle for future measurement when adding to your tank. The small bottles are 16 oz., so I would just put the whole bottle in and run it until you fill up again based on what you say that you have left in the tank. Let me know if you have any more questions. BTW, you are in Richardson? My wife and I live in Sanger......

Tim
Respecting your credentials....
Do you think its ok to run a 1/2-1 ounce of Supertch Outboard 2 cycle engine in our diesel tanks ???

Hey sorry to not have replied sooner but I've been out of pocket http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=2922 many use 2 cycle oil for additive, no harm in that at all, it's is formulated for that purpose, may be overkill if already using a fuel additive designed for Diesel fuel

Well it's been 2 months now since I have started using the 2-cycle oil at every fill up. Started out using 1/2 oz of 2-cycle oil for every gallon of fuel, and did that for about the first 5 fill ups or so. I have now bumped it up to 1 oz for every gallon of fuel. That is where I plan on keeping it from here on out. I also throw in about 8 oz of Power Service along with the oil at fill up too. Like what was said before by KB, the oil won't give the cetane boost like Power Service will, so that's why I use both. Since running the 2-cycle and Power Service for almost 1000 miles, I can tell a difference. Engine runs a bit more quiet, and I have gained about 1 mpg as well.

For the 2-cycle oil, I have a used Power Service bottle that I use to measure the oil. Easy to read how much is in the bottle on those.

Back