• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Motor oil in your diesel fuel

I hate repeating myself, BUT like I said, if you can afford to "test" a $40k+ truck, that's good. I, myself, cannot. But, again, whatever works for you.

KB you have a lot of things changed on your 05 by the looks of your sig, I bet that if some one wasn't changing, testing, or willing to try new things your truck would still be stock. With all your mods it run good is a safe bet. They's guys running oil an diesel mix, have at it testing out 40k rigs. Never say never KB , to each his own. Good luck to you oil burners. What kind of HP are you guys running adding oil 4-600 Hp daily driver, sure other mod as well and it's working :yesnod:

Any input on how it would run in a 6.5? Seems like i could get used motor oil for free just about anywhere. Lookin' good allready

My buddy was running 95%,I repeat 95% :lol: in his 6.5 and has some injector issues. Not sure how it works with a reasonable ammount in a 6.5.

Any input on how it would run in a 6.5? Seems like i could get used motor oil for free just about anywhere. Lookin' good allready

additional lubricity mainly.

also a good way to get rid of it. takes the place of $5/gal fuel

can someone show some pictures of how they filter the oil? I have some waste oil i would like to use but it's just in one gallon old oil jug's, so i need to figuire out how to filter it before putting it in the tank.

I throw about 2-3 gallons of filtered used oil in every time I fill my truck up as well. At current prices, that's about $10-15 in free fuel. Truck runs better, EGT's are slightly higher with the used oil, but so far so good. As far as taking chances with a $30k truck, I figure doing anything from stock is a risk whether it be cranking the bars and messing up the suspension, running EFI and screwing up the motor or tranny, running bigger tires and screwing up the tranny or suspension, etc etc. It's all a gamble if you modify the truck from the way it was originally designed. Just use some common sense, get the engine oil tested to see how she's doing, and have fun! ):h

I throw about 2-3 gallons of filtered used oil in every time I fill my truck up as well. At current prices, that's about $10-15 in free fuel. Truck runs better, EGT's are slightly higher with the used oil, but so far so good. As far as taking chances with a $30k truck, I figure doing anything from stock is a risk whether it be cranking the bars and messing up the suspension, running EFI and screwing up the motor or tranny, running bigger tires and screwing up the tranny or suspension, etc etc. It's all a gamble if you modify the truck from the way it was originally designed. Just use some common sense, get the engine oil tested to see how she's doing, and have fun! ):h

x2 :cheers2:

Well put.

Phil, keep us updated on how your mpg's, egt's, and anything else are affected. Good luck and I'm sure you'll see some good results. I think I might pick up that gallon jug from wal-mart of 2 cycle and run some in mine to give it that extra lube for the engine.

can someone show some pictures of how they filter the oil? I have some waste oil i would like to use but it's just in one gallon old oil jug's, so i need to figure out how to filter it before putting it in the tank.

Phill use a 50 gal drum with a hand pump with a cat 2 micron filter attached pump it through into 1 gallon jug's works great

Last edited:
KBcolt....I agree. The trucks will run on a lot of things in the short term, but we are unaware of what the long term effects may be. I'm no expert, but it seems like burning used motor oil would have a lot of junk in it that could build up and cause problems.

Two stroke oil seems fine, but since I am running on B80++ the lubricity benefits are nil. In fact, I might give two stroke a try in hopes of gaining a mpg or two...

i doubt you see any change in your engine since you're already running B80 if you add any two cycle to it. a B2 blend does more to lube your engine than any of the additives on the market.

I've been running the Wal-Mart SuperTech TCW-3 stuff (blue jug) at about 256:1 (1/2 ounce oil per gallon of diesel). That comes out to just over 3 cents per gallon extra cost treating 256 gallons with an $8 jug. It's worth the 3 cents per gallon to me for peace of mind that the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is lubed to protect my original 2001 injectors with 157,000 miles on them.

It's the SUPER TECH Outboard 2-cycle engine oil TC-W3 that you are using right? I just picked up a jug of it today and plan on using my next fill up using your 256:1 ratio. Thanks for the idea.

It's the SUPER TECH Outboard 2-cycle engine oil TC-W3 that you are using right? I just picked up a jug of it today and plan on using my next fill up using your 256:1 ratio. Thanks for the idea.

That's the stuff. I started out at 1 ounce per gallon and cut back to 1/2 ounce per gallon and have been running it that way for nearly a year now. I've seen no really noticable change in mpg, idle is smoother and a bit quieter and the truck does feel just a bit "peppier" by the seat of the pants meter. The cut to 1/2 the dosage made no change in the apparent effects.

Last edited:
can someone show some pictures of how they filter the oil? I have some waste oil i would like to use but it's just in one gallon old oil jug's, so i need to figuire out how to filter it before putting it in the tank.

I will take a picture and get it up for you the next time I go to fill up my jugs.

Oh, and on another note anyone worried about settling, my truck just sat for 2 weeks without even being looked at while I was in the hospital, I came home yesterday, and she started up like the day I got her.

We always used to run 5-8 gallons of waste oil in our fords and cummins they all ran for ever so I don't think it urts anything. My sister and her d-max burn the die diesel all the time only been caught once in Col damn tree hugger cop said it was smokein too much so he did EPA on her failed it terribly and then he check the fuel and I'll be damned if it wasn't red. My dad had to explain to the cop that the truck was for farm use only and that our other truck broke down so we had to use this one and the transfer tank was also full of it, but he promised once this tank was gone we would put highway diesel back in. Lier!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tree huggers are so easy to fool.

Speaking from experience.................i wouldnt try this with an electronic IP in a 6.5. It seems to make the fuel really dark(black) and wont allow the optic sensor to work right. It will still run, but , it goes into limp mode. Had to pump out 22 gals. of fuel and add fresh. it did come out of it though. I think if you had a mechanical IP you would be fine. Probably would do it some good!! Just my 2 cents.

IIRC, you guys have to pay road tax voluntarily on every gallon of oil you substitute for diesel. Even home brew Bio diesel. If you don't and the gov't catches you, you can face fines of what you owe and beyond. my uncle did the waste oil thing with the trucking outfit he used to run, and he had to pay all of his road taxes after he got caught, about $5k

The other part not mentioned as of yet is filtration can remove solids, but it does nothing for the chemistry of the used motor oil, yes grandpa & uncle billy ran tractors & truck for years on used oil, those were low psi injection and "dumb injection systems' we are talking 20,000 psi here in DMAX trucks, ever hear of extrude hone, they put grit into solution and polish parts (remove metal) now it's gonna take longer with minute solids but over time it's gonna degrade, plus your 2 micron filter a nominal 2 micron or an absolute one?

That is the solids part of the equation, now we have water and PH , just through normal condensation (& humidity) absorbtion you get water in your oil, also any trace coolant leakage from cooling system making it to your oil, heavy metals from normal wear and tear for moving engine parts, detrergents & additve in oil all combine to make a weak acid in your oil, (Bio-D makers treat their brew to proper Ph for a reason) now what comes from YOUR truck is probaly okay, but just what other crud might be in collected oil from elsewhere, IMO saving benefit does not justify the risk, and yes us 6.5 guys don't have high psi fuel systems, but our Achillies heel is the optic sensor/disk.

Until we got something saying otherwise I have to defer to mfr of fuel systems that used motor oil, trans or used anything that hasn't been properly blended for use as bio-D ain't good for longevity. Do what you will, IMO I would not be doing it to my "old 6.5" even less ambitious to do it on a common rail high psi, high $$$$ fuel system/engine. yes we all experiment but "wild catting" vs scientific study IMO you get a lot of wrong guesses before you get to the desired outcome, I don't have the $$$ to go SWAGging on my ride, (SWAG Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

Oh before you go saying TD is just grousing, I used to test/treat fuel 621,000 gal for ship propulsion/power generation use, and 40,000 gal for helicopters (never had a helo crash or ship quit moving when I was "Oil King" musta been doing something rite) been a while since I had to do that on regular basis; but I do got a piece of paper somewhere when I graduated from propulsion & aviation fuels school (top of class from that school BTW) that says I'm qualified to opine on things like fuel quality.

But I still have to be cognizant of fuel used in turbines I work on and fuel properties are something we are very keen on, we get many turbines that fail because of poor fuel issues, hot spots burning combustors/turbine blades because fuel nozzles (injectors) no longer atomize they direct spray solid streams of fuel at only 700-800 psi at max power, (imagine what a gunked DMax injector at 20,000 psi does to piston tops) .

Granted turbines fire at a lot higher firing temp than our Diesels do but junk in fuel has same negative effects in any I.C.E. , I would not add any junk period to my fuel, clean new oil 2cycle would be okay; but heck it's hard enough to find quality fuel from fuel stops, and you are voluntariliy adding crud to yours, ain't smart IMO, but as others have said do what you will.

Then there is the whole "legal/taxation aspect" we won't go there that is P&R topic; Al Gore et als in tree hugging crowd can K.M.A. I don't believe the global warming hoax, nor the obscence profits being made while "saving the earth" by "green elitists".

Last edited:
Back