• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mobile 1 oil filter failure or defect.

HMMM does the internal spring not being strong enough encourage a possible "cheese grater" movement???

When I mentioned glass media earlier, I should have clarified it more as fiberglass media. As in woven fiber glass media as used in the WIX XP filters and a few others, and with that comes the wire backing.
In that cutaway photo of the Amsoil filter it mentions having a steel spring, but I do not see any spring, just a flat piece of metal slightly bent. I prefer filters with an actual coiled steel spting. They perform much better.

I don't know if its that important as long as it works as designed. I have used Belleville washer for over travel shanks on tooling. Stamped springs are good for low travel applications. I do like coil springs for more dynamic loads with farther travel. But a leaf like spring in this small package might be better as you might not get enough coil turns to "spring".

"it is our policy to deny such claims because it is stated that the filter must be unaltered and intact to be given the opportunity to evaluate the product as a whole"

Fram will evaluate the filter however they tripped over themselves to throw policy at me without knowing what was going on. I let them know it wasn't the correct reply what-so-ever!

I buy Mobile 1 filters because they are NOT Fram OCOD, Not a Purolator pleat breaker, and not a Wix with a bad Duramax fuel filter WIF thread design. Looks like Wix for local supply is the better choice. About to order AMSOIL filters just for their backing of their product alone.

After watching the EPIC foul up of the Fram claim process for a 6.7 Cummins $6,692.00 - yeah PIA when they need to have your back for just such filter failures. Who owns, makes, and warranties the damn filter is more important than anything else.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...ted-piston-51-000-miles-Fram-filter-the-cause

So that was their reply to you. That is crap. But not a surprise. I can see them wanting to do a full filter analysis on an engine replacement claim to see if oil pressure was excessive and can blame on mechanical failure of oil pump bypass etc.

Sounds like typical low ranking customer service person trying to stick to the party line and company mandated response. You will have to kick it up to the next level or higher.

If you don't get satisfaction post the email address you used and person who responded. I'll be happy to email them a hello to say I saw this on a forum, we have corresponded on many threads and posts, and I have no reason to believe you misrepresented a failure of their product. Hopefully others will too. Can also post a Youtube video showing pleat failure and we can try to inflict some pain on them.

Also its a good idea to post on bob is the oil guy forum because that has a lot of oil/lube enthusiasts and will generate more outrage.

I believe voting with our dollars is a good thing, however if they don't know why they are loosing sales numbers and they won't take action to correct it. They might just think it because one of their competitors sponsored a new race car or something.

Any updates on this issue yet?
Here is a filter that I just changed in my son's car. I personally feel this is a well-built filter. It is a WIX filter made for NAPA. Nice thick can, strong synthetic filter media, spring, anti drainback valve, and strong thick base for secure mount with engine.
20150814_154759.jpg 20150814_154830.jpg 20150814_154848.jpg

Yes, it is a NAPA Platinum filter. Made by WIX, an equivolent of an XP filter.
Your right. It keeps getting more expensive for the regular maintenance requirements.
The only true way to save is to just do it yourself. You save the on labor.

I've been thinking about a washable screen media filter that would do all the big stuff, then rely on the centrifuge for the fines.
Pull the filter assembly, unscrew the body and wash it out opposite flow, then reinstall. Now clean out the CF, and add your oil in.

I know my brain ticks on the down beat, but am I crazy here? Really I just want to know what is the best filter to use, then not have to worry about them changing it to a cheap version.

Who here remembers oil bath air filters? They sure worked great. If you drive calmly, its a good system.

I gave up on working with the clowns at The Fram Group. It appears they have near zero interest in the defective or failed filter.

So I posted it up on Bob is the oil guy.

"Go pound sand" replies from The Fram Group when contacted:

"You are welcome to send this in, however it is our policy to deny such claims because it is stated that the filter must be unaltered and intact to be given the opportunity to evaluate the product as a whole."

"I included the informational form for you to submit to initiate a claim in the previous email. We are not saying that we will not look at the filter, however we wanted you to understand Fram Filtrations policy on evaluating a filter. You are more than welcome to initiate a claim and send the filter in, it will ultimately be the labs determination on disposition of the filter. I have again attached the informational form to submit a claim."

"In order for us to perform a proper evaluation, the product you submit must not be altered. Therefore, the product you send us must not be cut open, modified or altered in any way. If your evidence has been altered or damaged to where we cannot evaluate it, your claim will be denied."

Back