• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mobil 1 15W40 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil

I think you will be ok using the oil. A couple of years back a store had a sale on Mobil 1 TD 5w40 oil by the gallon. I bought several cases. I used it when I needed it throughout the course of time. Everything looked normal. No sediment or anything from sitting.
As long as it is sealed nice and tight you'll be OK.
Maybe try some of the new synthetic 15w40 oil???

I thought Mobil 1 oil comes from a better more refined base stock? With a better additive package? As compared to some of the other oils out there.

I am sure they all say that, But I have heard those specific claims about them as well. Calling the mfr could have a definitive result. I am pretty sure ai heard them advertise they use Texas sweet- which is still the best I ever heard of.

I run this oil in my truck. Use to put Shell Rotella 15w-40 dino in it, but switched a few years ago.

The picture is a 2.5 gallon jug that I have had laying around for a few years. It does not say anything about being a synthetic blend, but now on Mobile's website, it says it is a synthetic blend. I assume at some point they must have changed the formula and made it a synthetic blend?

One question? What's the shelf life of that oil. I have had that 2.5 gallon jug in the basement for I know 4 years or longer. Just never got around to using it and truthfully had forgot about it being stashed over in the corner. Coming up on oil change time and was thinking about using it, just concerned about if it's lost any of its lubrication properties.

View attachment 71239View attachment 71240View attachment 71241

Run it. If you are really worried about it you could call the mfr and verify about the additives or the packaging failure in time, At Unical they had a recommendation of bottled oil being sold within a year of packaging so the labels wouldn’t fade, and the steel drums they had a recommendation to tell customers to attept to use it within 10 years of purchase because of rusting possibilities of the top of the barrel.

I call trybodyne about additive shelf life back when Chris had the big opening sale. They recommend use within 20 years because packaging failure could occur. When I mentioned the unocal barrel stuff and what if it was in a steel package just out of interest he said- “pour it in an unlined steel can, vacuum out the moisture when it is sealed and save it for generations 500 hears from now - it will be perfect, and maybe a good investment for them!” Then he had the weirdest laugh... thats when I knew he was a real engineer. 90% of engineers I ever met laugh a little funny and eat M&Ms by color grouping.;)

I thought I'd share a couple of videos I found online. and then I wound up watching a video about a TP bypass filter! I about 💩'd myself watching it lol all jokes aside, it did make sense on how it's able to filter oil cleaner.

this one kinda goes with what Will was saying but they are promoting Amsoil products. I am curious about the "Full" and 100% markings on bottles. also didn't know about RP being bought by Calumet. I do know through our fuel supplier at my work that Calumet fuels are dirty and nasty! they also talk about Mobil 1 badly 😑

Had a text about why (imo) not run the real expensive stuff in higher engines over 200,000. Figured share here.

Leaks. Full synthetic oils on previous conventional oil is known for leaks. If you leak away a lot of it that gets too pricy imo. Seal it up then that issue is gone.

Burning it. Get a provent or similar on there and you solve that issue also.

So don’t take it that it’s A mistake to do it, just that I think putting expensive oil in the road makes it hard to justify the cost.
I think you will be ok using the oil. A couple of years back a store had a sale on Mobil 1 TD 5w40 oil by the gallon. I bought several cases. I used it when I needed it throughout the course of time. Everything looked normal. No sediment or anything from sitting.
As long as it is sealed nice and tight you'll be OK.
Maybe try some of the new synthetic 15w40 oil???
Probably the same time I bought a bunch. I later found out the quarts were on sale cheaper by volume than the gallons. There is a thread here someplace.

The TP bypass filters have been around for decades.

Yeah the Frantz is a good system - but the rare occasion that the filter screen would allow some paper to blow through is what scares everyone. I have never seen any proof of it happening. So could be haters just running their mouth. But the rate it filters at is so slow compared to the centrifuge system means cf even not at full speed can keep it as clean or cleaner.

Frantz filter cleans as good as the cf at a certain level- lets call it 60psi, maybe 50we just dont know without that chart. But the cf does 55-60 gallons per hour. So it is cleaning a lot of the oil to whatever level it can based on oil pressure.
But the frantz is a slow, slow process. All that goes through it gets clean.
1-2 micron is very clean. But the engine gets the oil dirty faster than the frantz can clean it. So it is a slower time from new to garbage.

The monster advantage of the cf is 1/10 of 1 mircon. That is smaller than the soot that gets picked up in the oil. It actually cleans the oil CLEANER than when you pour it out of the bottle! The cf cant keep up with the oil pump, but the fact that it cleans out all the contamination to that level means the oil will stay useable much longer than the frantz.

I don’t wanna talk anyone out of the frantz. The cf CAN be far better but depending on the psi it runs at. But if someone wants to improve filtering and cant or chooses not to do a cf- you should get a frantz.

I know many do the dual filter set up. Years of semi trucks doing that some using twin filters, or a primary/ secondary set up just doesn’t help enough to make sense to me when there is the frantz that does a much better job for same long term cost.

I have read, but cant verify that synthetics are better at picking up the soot and silicon (dirt) but it is harder to filter out. I have also heard that it is easier to filter out.

On the Mobil1- i have heard from multiple places that they changed composition for the worse. The stuff from amsoil (corporate not these two in the video) would seem to support that.

I just found out about this 15W40 Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 Diesel oil. I have mostly used the 5W40 Turbo Diesel Oil since new.
I just haven't hear of this new Oil.
Anyone using it that can report on it?
Mobil makes it, and I think a few other manufacturers make some.
I always thought the full Synthetic diesel oil was 5W40. Learn something new every day...

Jeff, is this the oil that you had been using? Looks like it could be available, you might have to order it which would be a bummer.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40, 1 Gal. - 122260 (ruralking.com)

I was looking on amazon to see what they had, didn't see the 15-40 but they show two different Mobil 1 5-40's one shows "turbo diesel oil" which is what I am using now, and something called "ESP" I have not heard of this before. It's a bit higher in price though!

View attachment 71551

The ESP oil might have an upgraded additive package, who knows, I am not an oil expert. I have not noticed the Turbo Diesel oil in my post at Walmart in a while, maybe they had it and I did not notice it. I'll be going by there sometime soon I will look for it, I am curious now.

I was looking on amazon to see what they had, didn't see the 15-40 but they show two different Mobil 1 5-40's one shows "turbo diesel oil" which is what I am using now, and something called "ESP" I have not heard of this before. It's a bit higher in price though!

View attachment 71551
The ESP is what I've been using the last 4+ years since changing from Mobil Delvac dino oil.

Yes @BIGR I use that bottle you posted. The Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel. I bought a crapload of it a while back. I don't believe I have any left. Local Walmart usually has it. I did buy a bottle of the ESP 0W40 I think a few years back. I used it in my snow blower and lawn mower. I really don't know enough about it. I think it is European or something. Maybe special for Benz and Volvo, etc...

Had a text about why (imo) not run the real expensive stuff in higher engines over 200,000. Figured share here.

Leaks. Full synthetic oils on previous conventional oil is known for leaks. If you leak away a lot of it that gets too pricy imo. Seal it up then that issue is gone.

Burning it. Get a provent or similar on there and you solve that issue also.

So don’t take it that it’s A mistake to do it, just that I think putting expensive oil in the road makes it hard to justify the cost.

Been running synthetic oil on my '99 for awhile, but did not record or remember how long. It's not burning up oil, but most definitely a bleeder/leaker.

Sent my wife to get some oil and in this time of shortage, ended up with Chevron Delo 400 XLE synthetic blend:

Chevron Delo 400 XLE Synthetic Blend Diesel Motor Oil CK-4, 15W-40, 2.5 Gallon - Walmart.com

Last edited:
Dam @BIGR that looks like our wally world!

here at my work we have an account direct with ExxonMobil. I have been concidering reaching out to them to see if it would be cheaper in the long run to order myself 5 gal buckets of oil or gallons from them. or from our fuel vendor. they have their house brand texaco but also carry other brands too.

So much for any Diesel Oil at Wally World, the shelf was empty except for some Delo 400 and some cheaper brand.

View attachment 71572View attachment 71573

Yelp, that's not the only section that's wiped out. The cat and dog section looks plum pitiful. That Wal Mart has had serious manager, employee issues.

I was at another Wal Mart about 45 miles to the north of me last week. I would consider that Wal Mart, a genuine country Wal Mart that's away from the big population Hustle. I didn't see any empty shelves in the pet food section, looked like it was well stocked. I wished I had checked out the motor oil section, but I was in a hurry to get out of there. I'm thinking here we have one store out in the boon docks,that's well stocked, the other that's near towns and a city that's got empty shelves what gives, other than maybe more people is shopping at the one in town. The parking lot was just as full at the Wal Mart in the boon docks, it was doing a booming business.

Back