• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Missy goes full retro

I agree, the 10 bolts is a light axle setup but, unless you are really thrashing them they will live a long time.

If you are doing some serious wheeling and pouring big power through the drive train with a nasty RAT up front turning HUGE tires or all the above then the troubles can crop up.

For my use the 10 bolt will live forever.

A 12 bolt with 6 lug axles would be sweet though.

Missy

I just have had bad experience with them. It doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy inside to know if it blows you lose the wheel. 2x I lost the wheel axle and all.

OHHH yessss if the end pops off the axle and the "C" clip falls out the whole shootin match is free to head on down the Boulevard.

Normally these dont break unless the rig has been wheeled hard with a lot of "side slamming"
This just pounds the "C Clips" and the axle to pieces.

Under normal use they generally give zero trouble.

A great swap would be a 9 inch Ford rear axle with custom 6 lug shafts.

These are almost indestructable.

I am not a fan of using 3/4 ton running gear in the Blazer simply because you need to do both axles to use the same wheels.

I really like the look of the large tires on the 15 inch wheels.

Not a fan AT all not EVEN of the 18-22 inch wheels on small rigs. Looks stupid IMHO

Little bandaid tire on these huge wheels.
But I hate rap music (If you call that noise music) too.

Just an old Bitch thats set in her ways.

Missy

The tire makers are going to make what sells for sure.

I used to run 16.5's on my 3/4 ton's all the time.

If it were me I would just go to the 17 inchers. All the good sizes are pretty much available to fit that size wheel and THEY DONT LOOK LIKE "PIMP WHEELS"

The extra 1/2 inch is not noticeable.

Looks real strange to see these 22 inch wheels on a BURB OMG how lame can you get.

They ride like crap too. No sidewall flex at all.

Yeah but they don't make Turbine/Hurricane wheels anymore. I love my General Lee Wheels. For now after the Bf's wear out I currently have I cna eiher run Ground Hawgs(still made in 16.5) or run HumVee Tires which are still also made in 16.5 but I love the BF's.

Second full day yesterday with the Blazer :thumbsup:

Still got some bad vibes in the drive shaft that are gonna hafta be addressed.

With a toally different shaft in there I know its not the shaft.

The dangle angle is definatley the issue.

Just going to take some time to work through the little issues that the new little beast has and get them fixed.

All in all for a 20 year old rig on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 not being achievable I will give it a solid 8.

ODO shows 39000 miles and its probably correct considering the condition of the upholstery and the carpet.

PO had installed these tweeky "Billet" throttle and brake pedal pads made from alloy.

OMG these have got to go.

Missy is definately making a "MUST HAVE" list for the next trip to the U pullit yard.

The kewl little GRANT steering wheel stays for now anyway.

The Tach uis a POS, in the way and is going into the trash as soon as I can get a dry day to crawl in there and remove the wiring properly.

Going to snoop around and see if I can scare up a factory cluster with the tach that will fit that truck.

88-91 Burb cluster or the cluster from the later Crew cabs up to 91 should work fine. (Old style body)

Drivers door window regualtor is fouled, motor runs but no Joy.

Great job for a nice warm afternoon me thinks.

Got to order a new rear rubber brake line as the fools that installed the dual exhaust allowed the line to rub on the pipe. :eek:

Looking over the Purchase warranty on the tires and the PO had them installed on December 21st :D

Still got the nubbies they do.

I am going to see if the 35-13.50 X tires/wheels will fit the rig with just the 4 inch lift. If they will clear the fenders without issue I will put them on and be done with it.

The new tires that are on the rig are a very conservative tread and will wear great on the highway but are not going to give much Joy in the sloppy stuff.

OH BTW someone (Previous owners) ??? had done a sweet job of placing all the underhood wiring in these RED wrinkle Looms.

OMG RED, what were they thinking.

Its neat and tidy so it can stay, BUT RED :eek:

Starting to formulate my plans now for getting the 6.2 diesel in this thing.

Just as soon as it warms some I really need to get off my tushy and get the 87 Burb ripped apart and the goodies all cleaned up and ready to go into the Blazer.

Also, last eavening we had passengers in the back seat, and the complaint was made that the seat felt loose.

Hmmmmm looked it over and discovered that the seat was snapped into the rear locking lugs but the front HINGES were not bolted to the floor. :eek:

One of todays tasks is to get that taken care of.

A couple bolts with large washers will fix that issue right quick.

I would like to have the original type fasteners that were used BUTTTTTTTT these rigs are not prevalent in the bone yards so I will have to improvise.

Can't have the seat flopping around all over the place. :eek:

Off to get more coffee.

Missy

Well now

Crawled back under the little beastie this morning and checked some drive shaft angles :eek:

The pinion shaft and the tranny center line were out of sink by almost 10 degrees.

The allowable is 2 Hmmmmmmmmmm maybe this is why is shook so bad.

Removed the T case cross member bolts and lowered the T case and inserted the little tubular bolt spacers between the frame and the cross member.

This little maneuver got the shafts withing 3 degrees and the bad vibes are pretty well gone now.

Found that the rear seat front bolts were missing and the seat was loose. :eek:

Scrounged around and found that the seat belt anchor bolts on the old 87 were just what the Doc ordered.

Replaced the plastic sleaves on the door striker pins and that fixed the rattle on the rough road.

I think we are in pretty good shape right now.

This afternoon I will get it out as we are going to a Party and will drive it 20 miles maybe.

Here are some pix of the Blazer with its stable mate.

Missy

Attachments

• Blazer1.JPG
    Blazer1.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Blazer2.JPG
    Blazer2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 10
  • Blazer3.JPG
    Blazer3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Blazer5.JPG
    Blazer5.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Blazer6.JPG
    Blazer6.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Blazer7.JPG
    Blazer7.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Blazer8.JPG
    Blazer8.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Blazer9.JPG
    Blazer9.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 9
Moving the spacers was common practice however I never liked it and have seen them come loose. If you chop a piece of 2x2(might have been 1x1) box tube and drill it and use that it will be much stronger.

The 91 Burb is the only Burb I have now.
Ya Gotta have a Burb in the stable don't ya know.:D.

Once I get the drive line angle all tweeked in right to the knats A$$ I will go back and finish up things right proper.

The little spacer trick was a quicky to see if that would get me a lot closer to smooth.

Yessssssssss it did.

I need to loosen the U Bolts on the rar axle and remove the taper shim under the springs and replace them with one that has less angle.

The nose of the pinion is still too high. I hate to drop the T case any farther.

What would be sweet would be a CV jointed rear shaft and set the rear joint at zero and run the CV up front.

Likely will just reduce the taper on the shim to drop the pinion nose back a little and it will be fine.

Its acceptable now but can be a little better.

That tach is a KNEE KNOCKER is what it is :eek:

First oportunity is gonna see it head to the trash.
Works only part time anyway.

Looking for a factory cluster with the tach in it. Surely I can scare one up.

Next thing on the plate is to try the 35 inch tires and see if they will clear things and if so they are going on the truck. :D.

The 33's can go on the Burb and I will sell the factory Rally's and tires for whatever the traffic will bear.

I dont need all the extra round black things laying around under foot.

A simple way to prevent the T case mounting bolts from coming loose is to use Nylock nuts. :thumbsup:
End of worries.

Drove the rig this afternoon and eavening and it is lightyears better than when I first picked it up.

Much smoother and very quiet.

The KC's up front sure light up the back roads. :smile5:

ANUBIS

Finding a Blazer this clean is tough even out here on the West Coast
Now factor in the cost for a decent one plus how many are for sale in any given area at any given time and the numbers fall off rapidly.

I have been snooping since last winter and had found nothing I would bring home.

Holding out for a diesel was out of the question. Missy will put her own together. :smile5:

Missy

Missy Makes a Diesel Blazer

Make a great recipie book....

Congrats on a truly great find.
I'd lose the tach after the first WHACK. No tolerance for that sort of thing.
I doubt the wires are in series with anything.

Like I told ya, I am only considering 'Burbs (and only 89 - 91) from the 7 western .... and none of those will be coastal vehicles (my Dad lived in Seaside for many years and i have cousins in Tillamook)

those 7 western being WA, ID, MT, OR, CA, NV, and AZ.......

on a happier note since my wife has only 4 months till she graduates and not enough time to lose the 33 pounds she needs to get into the Army...... she applied for a Job with a research firm in Spokane ...... Looks like I might get to move back to the Pacific NW....

Hope the move comes around for Y'all

Spokane is a lovely place weather wise. Four distinct seasons with non of them real severe (Usually)

Western states Rigs are the only way to fly if you are wanting RUST FREE.

Just so sad to see rigs that are barely paid for all rotted out and wasted away.

Good luck on the Hunt.

Missy

As far as "Cooking up a Diesel Blazer" goes, it wont be tough at all.
I have the Old 87 "ROACHIE" Burb that has a 6.2 in it that runs great and all the underhood gear is intact and factory fresh.

Right down to the air silencer and slinky hose that connects to the core support.

Just gotta rip it all apart and "start cooking"

The only two areas that present any real Mods are the Glow contols and the fuel delivery.

I dont have a diesel fuel tank sender for a Blazer sized tank so ???????????

The in tank electric pump will have to go. (Too much pressure)

May have to bite the bullet and buy a diesel pickup/sending unit.

Just way too soon to really know what I am going to do.

For now its going to be ENJOY THE NEW TOY.

Missy sits eyeing the cook book

MGW

Hope the move comes around for Y'all

Spokane is a lovely place weather wise. Four distinct seasons with non of them real severe (Usually)

Western states Rigs are the only way to fly if you are wanting RUST FREE.

Just so sad to see rigs that are barely paid for all rotted out and wasted away.

Good luck on the Hunt.

Missy

you should see the strut towers and rocker panels on my wife's '99 Chrysler Town and Country. Going in the next week or so for 2 new strut towers ($950 ..... but I can't replace it for that ..... nothing else wrong with it)

the rust on my 94 oil burner is nothing compared to hers.

Missy

Do you ever get down to the Albany area? Pick-A-Part here in Albany recently brought in a diesel Blazer, I think an 85. I grabbed a few parts off it for my pickup. I don't remember an in dash tach, but you should be able to get the fuel parts off it that you need and maybe other stuff.

Don

Is that a "SUN" tachometer ? WOW...:D

You know they're still out there. My dad put one in my '83 when it was his, and he's got a new one on the shelf in the box. Refer to the 4th pic in my album.

The 91 Burb is the only Burb I have now.
Ya Gotta have a Burb in the stable don't ya know.:D. Agreed, I love the square body Suburbans. I just wish GM had built a factory K2500 with 454, they did not. (454s only available in C2500 'burbans.)

That tach is a KNEE KNOCKER is what it is :eek: That is a horrible location for a tach in those vehicles. See the 4th pic in my album (linked above) for where my dad mounted it, much better.

First oportunity is gonna see it head to the trash.
Works only part time anyway.

Looking for a factory cluster with the tach in it. Surely I can scare one up. This is a really really interesting can of worms. I have done chingos of research on this because I want the same thing for my '83. Yes I will be abandoning my Sun Super Tach someday. I will throw a link down below here to a site with the most info I've seen on factory tachs. I also want to add factory cruise control to my truck...whole 'nother ball of wax.

Drove the rig this afternoon and evening and it is lightyears better than when I first picked it up.

Much smoother and very quiet.

The KC's up front sure light up the back roads. :smile5:

Good news, I've been following your acquisition of this new little beasty and I'm glad it is road worthy now.

ANUBIS

Finding a Blazer this clean is tough even out here on the West Coast
Now factor in the cost for a decent one plus how many are for sale in any given area at any given time and the numbers fall off rapidly.

I have been snooping since last winter and had found nothing I would bring home.

Holding out for a diesel was out of the question. Missy will put her own together. :smile5:

Congrats again on the find. Besides, the smarter folks know the fun is in building the vehicle you want, not buying it.

Missy

Factory Tach Info I've read it, re-read it, pondered it, referenced it...still don't have it all figured out.

Back