• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making a tube header for the turbo side

Here's another one using a modified plate, 45* fitting and oil resistant hose that replaced the OEM set up and goes on the outside of the exhaust manifold. It came with the S-84 turbo but, since I had my own set ups, it's on the shelf.
IMG_6723.JPG IMG_6724.JPG

Those braided/AN lines sure are sexy....I think I'll add that to the someday list. Thanks for the inspiration!

Just one of the many services I offer. Race Day sells a kit for the HX-40 from Turbo to Block if you've the coin. Do it yourself will save a bit.

Your way ahead the only thing now is the 4" down pipe I'm lining up stainless parts & it's getting pricey but worth it IMHO.
Once I get this installed I'm going to evaluate the space available for a 4" downpipe. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it with this iteration. I still really want to do a center mount turbo - if/when I do that I will incorporate a 4" downpipe.

When you do yours please share lots of pics!

I will upload some pics of my drain line. I tried forever to make it all hard line but it just kept leaking no matter what I did. I used some old aeroquip line and the appropriate fittings for my drain. Worked out F*ing amazing. I just cut the stock drain plate flush where it mates up to the turbo and welded a fitting to attach there and the same where it goes into the block. Was a tight fit, but man is it a cherry setup. Let me get some pics. I've been meaning to get some since I finished the project anyways

You might have better luck with the AN though. I like it vs the hardline I was going to use because it has some give to it but still fairly rigid and can make really tight bends without kinking the hose. I like having some wiggle room when I do things.

As the 4" down pipe goes a first gen ram HX40 4" down pipe transitioned to oval pipe to clear chassis then back to round. A larger that 4" oval can be used to make an expansion chamber to allow for quicker spooling at WOT.

As the 4" down pipe goes a first gen ram HX40 4" down pipe transitioned to oval pipe to clear chassis then back to round. A larger that 4" oval can be used to make an expansion chamber to allow for quicker spooling at WOT.
Possibly.....the 3" downpipe is going to be RIGHT next to the header as it is, so I'm not sure I'll have the extra room available right now to stuff a downpipe that's any larger right now. I MIGHT be able to do an oval tube right there, but it's so close to the turbo outlet that it may be tricky for me to make the transition from round to oval in that space. Once I have it in place I will do some looking an evaluating to see if it's possible and then if it's worth the effort. The effort may be better applied to engineering a center mount turbo system instead.... :cool:

Question for you guys: I'm going to be installing new wheels in the turbo very soon. The biggest change I think is that I'm going from a 12-blade turbine to a 10-blade turbine. At the same time I'm going to a billet 60 x 86 compressor wheel too. I will be doing the turbo upgrade and the header installation separately so the effects of each can be seen more clearly. My question is: which would you rather seen installed first - the header installation or the turbo upgrade? Or said another way: which results would be more interesting to see, the installation of the header with the existing CKO HX40 turbo or the installation of the header with an upgraded HX40 turbo? I will be doing EGT, IAT and boost documentations before and after.

My only thought is can you also run 1 tank of fuel as a rough mpg check and 0-60 time with each. Yeah everything is not 100% scientific, but still good info IMO.

I'll leave out which first opinion to those it effects a lot more. Nice of you to throw out the option here.:)

My only thought is can you also run 1 tank of fuel as a rough mpg check and 0-60 time with each. Yeah everything is not 100% scientific, but still good info IMO.

I'll leave out which first opinion to those it effects a lot more. Nice of you to throw out the option here.:)
Those are good ideas, I'll see what I can do.

Yeah I'd much rather just take it apart once and do both part swaps, but it does seem like a good learning opportunity so I might as well spend the couple additional hours of labor and see if we learn anything.

So your dumping the CKO for a real Holset, or?
Well I have 2 CKOs, because the first one was eaten up by the coolant in the oil in the old engine. So as long as the bearing housing is ok, I'm going to rebuild it and then I'm putting new wheels from Turbo Labs of America in it. If the housing is toast I'll look into getting a new bearing housing or I'll just rewheel the CKO that's on the engine right now. When I do the install I will do a detailed post in my HX40 thread.

Well I have 2 CKOs, because the first one was eaten up by the coolant in the oil in the old engine. So as long as the bearing housing is ok, I'm going to rebuild it and then I'm putting new wheels from Turbo Labs of America in it. If the housing is toast I'll look into getting a new bearing housing or I'll just rewheel the CKO that's on the engine right now. When I do the install I will do a detailed post in my HX40 thread.

Got ya, I was just on Turbo labs site as I suspected that is what you were doing sounds good.

Got ya, I was just on Turbo labs site as I suspected that is what you were doing sounds good.
I tried ordering from BAE and I've had no response from them in over a week! Phone calls go to an answering service and they haven't responded to emails. So I did more searching and found Turbo Lab. They had some decent reviews and they sell on Amazon. I love buying through Amazon so I pulled the trigger. I ordered the stuff Wednesday night and I am supposed to have it tomorrow.

Back