• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making a tube header for the turbo side

Biggest problem with the 80s trucks would be clearance for a downpipe. You would have to almost mount the turbo above and perpendicular to the engine, making it really tall. I've thought about doing it on my 82 but if I did I would make a new intake manifold that would allow it to sit lower.

Ok I've started working on this again finally. I have to say, it wasn't very fun cutting apart that previous work.

I was initially thinking that I would follow the same basic routing that I did before, but use 2.5" pipe further up to gain more clearance. Well as I looked at how things like the heater hose and downpipe are routed that idea didn't look like it would work so well. Boy it sure helps doing this with the engine in the truck so I can see all the obstacles!! I decided to keep the split tubes but shift it forward. You can see the result below. I think it's going to be tight to the downpipe, but have just enough clearance. I may have to dent the header pipe in a touch if it's too close, but I think that will be ok. Later this week I'll take it out of the fixture and finish the welding on the other side of the header. I'm not sure when I'll get to do a test fit - it may be a few weeks before I can have the truck down for a few days. I'll update as progress happens. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I know how ya feel with all the cutting and welding and getting stuff to try to fit. I just went through all that. Insane amount of headache. I hope your results came out as good as mine

I know how ya feel with all the cutting and welding and getting stuff to try to fit. I just went through all that. Insane amount of headache. I hope your results came out as good as mine
Thanks 6.5L. So yours is on the road?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok the fab work is done. Some of the welds look a little funny because I used the MIG to build up a couple areas so I could port them with a burr. I'm happy with the results and I think it should flow well. I decided to throw paint on it now to protect it from rust and also if it does fit without modification then all I have to do is put wrap on it and paint the wrap....this will save me some down time.

I've a question that I hope doesn't kick in an 'uh oh.'
Will there be clearance for the Turbo's OEM Oil Return Line or will that need an aftermarket solution?

I've a question that I hope doesn't kick in an 'uh oh.'
Will there be clearance for the Turbo's OEM Oil Return Line or will that need an aftermarket solution?
No there isn't room for the OEM return line, but there is room for a slightly modified return line. My return line hasn't been stock since I swapped the HX40 on, so that doesn't bother me. You know, I had forgotten that I needed to come up with the drain line solution, so thanks for that......I think........

I haven't had an OEM line since my ATT experiment many Oreo's ago either. I've a couple of set ups I've tried and just by looking at the pictures, without the benefit of 3D modeling, it would appear that a 45* right off the Turbo to the outside of the header will work. OEM tube cut and reversed, Male 8 or 10-AN at the turbo with 45* (my current set up) etc. It all depends on the Turbo too. I'm not familiar with the fitment of an HX-40 and my HX-35 I got on Flea-Bay was so much junk I haven't event tried a mock up. I can post you some pics of the ATT set up and the one I'm using now as well as another one I picked up with the S-84 if you like.

Yes please post pics, seeing other people's solitions to problems is always inspiring. Just as you suggested, I am currently running the stock tube reversed. From there I use Gates multi-purpose hose to connect to the block.

I've run the reversed OEM tube hacked off with the Gates tubing too. I wrapped the tubing for heat protection.
Pictures. I'll dig through the photo albums and see what I got.

Right. ATT adapter made from an OEM base with pipe and 10-AN fitting and a reducer to 8-AN for the line. Worked just as well with GM-whatever turbos. Not so much with the S-84.
Center. OEM cut off
Left. M 10-AN Oil Return Line adapter with line attached.
IMG_3364s.JPG

8-AN line set up.
IMG_3362s.JPG

8-AN and 10-AN Lines. Motor return fitting was fabricated with 8-AN 90* which requires a reducer on that end...I'll get it sorted out later since the truck is off-line still.
IMG_3363s.JPG

Back