• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making a tube header for the turbo side

I have to say I also like the tubing for the mounting bolts so that they are all easy access. Good idea.

I've built a few headers over the years, I gave up on trying to figure out where it will crack or warp. I just build it, then modify as needed. The brace is a good idea there, the vibration would have beat it up without it.
Thanks Will. This is my first attempt at anything this elaborate so I'm interested to see how it holds up.

Looking good. When should you have it mounted in the truck?
Thanks. Oh it's going to be at least a week and half. I still have to put the engine back together and I'm still waiting for my pistons. I've been plenty busy in the meantime though. :D

Great job on the header some production pieces I've seen aren't that good. Have you considered professional ceramic coating or wrap over painting it to keep more heat to the turbo.

Too bad you don't have extra time to waste on building the other side first. Then running the stock manifolds with new engine for a base line before switching to the headers and seeing the power/mpg/egt differences.

For sure I would love to run an experiment like that. I'll think about it some more, but there are other projects I'm not getting to right now because I am working on the hoe. Also it's going to be a huge time saver installing the manifold and turbo while the engine is out so I'd rather do that and save myself that labor. I also need to hurry up and get the thing broken in again so I can be ready for the next upgrades I have planned later this year.

Great job on the header some production pieces I've seen aren't that good. Have you considered professional ceramic coating or wrap over painting it to keep more heat to the turbo.

Thanks ditchpig. Yes I would love to do White Lightning by Swain Tech, but I don't have the budget for it right now. I'm hoping to take the stuff off next year some time and have it coated. The wrap and paint is going to have to suffice for the time being.

I got the crossover wrapped last night. It was so much easier and quicker than the header!! :rolleyes: I did have more of a problem with the 2" wrap puckering and I couldn't figure out exactly why, but it turned out well enough. I'm going to paint it up tonight and I should also have more 1" wrap by then too so I can finish wrapping the header. For some reason the picture keeps rotating, sorry.

Crossover wrapped.jpg

I finished wrapping the header tonight. I tried to cover the very ends but I couldn't get it to turn out as well as the rest. Hopefully it stays in place. I also painted the crossover. I think I'll put another coat on tomorrow night and then I'll put a coat on the header too. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Looking really good Nate. I like the way they turned out. I never realized keeping heat in the headers made that big of a difference with turbo spool.

Nice. Hopefully your rings come in today, They did not get here yesterday like I hoped.

Back