• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Maintenance Day

Almost broken in! Lol @ 15k miles of hard towing and high heat my oil still passed lab tests. I bet yours was good enough to run in my 6.5l lol.

Sent from: Source Unknown

7-7-13; 76,000 miles :D :D :D

Tomorrow is my first day on the new job. Waiting for my first full paycheck to show up the beginning of next month so I can double flush my tranny to get the Dex III out.

Nice. I remember at about 20k my big prefilter would start to clog up and it would shift strange under hard acceleration.

Did you ever add a lift pump? I didn't have one.

Yes I did Grady. I have the Kennedy dual lift pumps. They work well. That Napa filter worked out well. Thanks. I am using the 2nd one now. Not even the slightest hint of any rust inside the bottom of the can. And the filter media looked good.

Ok guys should we put up the bullshesh flag on this one. :mad2:

My truck was due for a filter and oil change. I had bought the shell rotella 15w-40 and oil filter a few weeks ago. Other than one fill of delo 400 I have always used shell rotella and it has never used any oil. Been busy and said the heck with it. I needed the tires rotated so I just took it by my dealer. Of course when the service adviser sees that I have shell rotella 15w-40 he starts in on it again. I don't know why they don't like shell rotella other than I think they use mobile 1 Delvac 1300 there. He starts talking like shell rotella is not that good in the duramax. I asked him to show me the proof or studies where it was not that good. He said it is a good oil but mobile one Delvac has a better additive package that is better in the duramax since it has aluminum parts. He told me that they did use the mobile one Delvac at the dealership.

Does mobile one Delvac 1300 have that much better of an additive package or should I just fly the bullshesh flag and keep using rotella?
I know I can buy the Delvac cheaper at Walmart. 2.5 gallons is about 29 bucks.

I used Rotella for 150k with no apparent troubles (as well as the 40k or so on the LLY before) and switched to Delvac for the simple reason that I can get a $25 rebate 2x per year on 5 gallons (but not if I buy at wally world) so that's what I run. If they were to stop doing that rebate I would do either. However, comma, I too have heard that the "broke in" DMax is likely to use more oil with Rotella than Delvac and, in fact I was starting to see 1 qt in 6-7k after 100k and since going to Delvac that stopped. Coincidence? :dunno: But I've thought about it. I am comfortable with either brand but maybe there's something to this Rotella negativity. Just my 2cents worth and worth that much.

Thanks Mike for the quick response. I consider that one service adviser a straight shooter and I believe that he would not intentionally mislead me. He also owns a Chevy truck with a duramax so I would say that he has done his research on it.

I don't doubt that the mobile one delvac is a real good oil. Like I told him sometimes it boils down to ones preference and it does not make much difference.

I think I might give the mobile one Delvac a try. There is an obvious savings on the price if I can get the 2.5 gallon container for around 29 bucks. I very seldom see the 2.5 gallon rotella containers at Walmart. Tractor supply has them for around 34 bucks. Generally price is not a factor since I only have to do an oil change about once a year.

The 1300 dino oil. Just to clarify is the one. But I only see it in 5 gal and 1 gal containers. I usually buy a 4 gal case and 1 single for the rebate deal.

Delvac 15W40.JPG

I used to use Shell Rotella when my truck was new. I had a couple of "Iffy" Oil Analysis results. I switched to Chevron Delo 15W-40 and Mobil Delvac 15W-40 and got better UOA's back from Blackstone Labs. I now use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-40. I feel more comfortable using Mobil 1 and Chevron Delo. Just me being quirky. :)

I used to use Shell Rotella when my truck was new. I had a couple of "Iffy" Oil Analysis results. I switched to Chevron Delo 15W-40 and Mobil Delvac 15W-40 and got better UOA's back from Blackstone Labs. I now use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-40. I feel more comfortable using Mobil 1 and Chevron Delo. Just me being quirky. :)

Great info guys, your input is valuable and I appreciate your input. It seems that Mobile One oils for diesels would have to be pretty good oil. Other than a quart or two, my supply of Shell Rotella 15w-40 is almost depleted. I think when I do my next oil change I will make a switch to the Mobile One Delvac 1300 Super oil. I really don't drive enough miles in a year to justify using a synthetic oil so I will stick to the Dino oil.

Had the same issue in my dmax, I was having to add 2qt in 10k with rotella 15/40, I actually don't use oil on rotella 5/40. I use Mobil 1 1300 in my old 6.5s now and my tractors and Mobil delvac 5/40 in my dmax.

My old 6.5l farm/work rigs drink rotella 15/40 at 1qt/fuel up and sometimes 2qt while towing. I do good with amsoil in the 95 though, that engine seems very tight for its miles and has 0 blowby.

Sent from: Source Unknown

`My LB7 didn't use any oil on 15W40 at 5K mile intervals, and doesn't use any in 10K miles using the 5W40 ROTELLA. I will say that I have an old worn out KOHLERR on a ZTR mower that I run 15W40 in, and with the ROTELLA 15W40 it uses about 1 cup of oil every 2 hours. I had some MOBIL 15W40 DINO given to me, and in 6 hours of use it hasn't used but maybe 3 ounces of oil. So for what it's worth an old worn out KOHLER 25HP with a scored cylinder in it doesn't use as much oil using the MOBIL VS ROTELLA.

Ferman's got me thinking about the worn out Onan in my JD318 I use for utility work around the farm. Guess I could try some Delvac for a tryout in it.

2015 Maintenance Day

I just finished my yearly maintenance which consisted of and oil change, all filters (Oil, By pass oil filter, Allison spin on, 2 CAT tall can spin on fuel filters and a coolant filter), coolant fluid change, and a few other things. The coolant change was a pain to do. I am at 125K, and the coolant was the original, so I got 9 years on the fluid. I know, I missed the 5yr/150K interval. The coolant came out and looked like brand new. Looked just like the orange fluid that I put back in. I did do a flush with distilled water. I refilled with Prestone Dex Cool. I did the 50/50 mix with distilled water.

I filled up with Mobil 1 5W40 Synthetic. I did take an oil sample and I am debating on sending it in for a UOA. I had about 13K miles on my oil. It came out looking and feeling like dark honey. No grit or soot whatsoever. All due to the bypass oil filter. And it does not look like I burned any oil at all. :)

My fuel filters were very clean, and I could have probably gone another year with them. My filter magnets are continuing to do their job very well! One of the better investments that I made. Along with the Bypass oil filter. The coolant filter did not have much of anything in it. But it did have 75K on it, so I changed it out seeing that I was doing a coolant change.

I did snap a few photos of the start and a few of the filters after I cut them open.

I did not bother to rotate my tires, as I am in dire need of some new rubber. I am still running the General Grabber HTS tires and I have over 80K on them. They have been excellent to me, and have performed admirably. I will be getting new rubber in a week or 2.

I am at 125K and good to go another year. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5726.JPG
    IMG_5726.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5730.JPG
    IMG_5730.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5731.JPG
    IMG_5731.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5725.JPG
    IMG_5725.JPG