• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Long, slow build of my truck

Glad you got it going! Here is a picture of the HX wastegate controller I got from raceday. If your making one yourself, it might help give you some ideas.

Matt

Attachments

• PA120226 (1024x768).jpg
    PA120226 (1024x768).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 19
I think his turbo is different. It's the style that mounts to the braket that is molded to the compressor housing. The holes on your turbo that are used for the waste gate are most likely not on his turbo.

I'll have to see if I can find the thread with the custom waste gate actuator braket and I'll report back.

I think his turbo is different. It's the style that mounts to the braket that is molded to the compressor housing. The holes on your turbo that are used for the waste gate are most likely not on his turbo.

I'll have to see if I can find the thread with the custom waste gate actuator braket and I'll report back.

Good call Jorge. For some reason I had it in my head that all the HX35W turbos had these holes, but I see I was mistaken.

Matt

Thanks for the link Jorge. I have another idea for how to rig the waste gate, similar to Raceday's kit. Perhaps it is something I will take a look at tomorrow. 3 bar map is on order as well.

On a side note, when under heavy acceleration, I can let off the pedal at 15psi and not hear the Holset "whoosh" sound that I am used to hearing on HX40's and 35's, including the CKO 40. Any idea as to why? DE exhaust and K47 box.

Should have pics and video tomorrow, stay tuned.

Should whistle pretty good. I don't see why not. Didn't make much of a difference for me but you could remove the silencer ring. Mine whistled like no tomorrow with and without though. Also, I wasn't running a muffler. The whistle was pretty audible at the tail pipe while idleing too.

Should whistle pretty good. I don't see why not. Didn't make much of a difference for me but you could remove the silencer ring. Mine whistled like no tomorrow with and without though. Also, I wasn't running a muffler. The whistle was pretty audible at the tail pipe while idleing too.

I am running a straight no-muffler exhaust, and no silencer on the turbo. Gonna try strapping on a Super 40 with a 60mm and see how it likes that.

Well today, this happened.

hx40.jpg

There's a lot to like about this turbo vs. the HX35. For one, it has the side-mounted waste gate actuator, similar to the HX40WII. In contrast, the 35 has mounting tabs on the compressor housing, which cannot be used when the turbo is clocked for a 6.5 Also, the HX40 has an 18cm^2 housing, vs. the 12cm^2 housing on the HX35. Granted, the 40 will be slower to spool, but will have a more favorable top end than the 35. Last but not least, and perhaps most obvious, its bigger. And bigger is better. We will be strapping it on at some point in the next couple weeks, and see how it reacts.

Also, I got my 3-bar MAP sensor in the mail today, 2 days after ordering it. $18 or so on ebay. Definitely Chinese. If it works well, Ill get a Delphi one.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

Cheers

Nice score from the Cummins QSL 8.3, perhaps, you can measure the comp/turbine wheels minor/major so those of us w/CKO can compare!

Flange is different and the turbine housing is taller!

Nothing wrong with the HX35, just always like the idea of bigger and better. The 35 seems to spool pretty quick on stock fuel too, which makes me think it might be too small for what I have planned.

Jorge, I have pics and video of the HX35. I am a little embarrassed of how it looks right now, I need to get some nicer boots and clamps. I have some videos I can post later.

Nothing wrong with the HX35, just always like the idea of bigger and better. The 35 seems to spool pretty quick on stock fuel too, which makes me think it might be too small for what I have planned.

Jorge, I have pics and video of the HX35. I am a little embarrassed of how it looks right now, I need to get some nicer boots and clamps. I have some videos I can post later.

Doesn't matter what it looks like, function is function. When I built my first intake on my Caravan, the engine bay and engine looked awesome, the intake was a few different colours, spotty welds whatever, but function trumps looks.

I THINK my flange will bolt up to the 40. I am not sure. I will check it out tomorrow hopefully. If not, its simple enough to make a dp adapter. Also, the back of the turbine housing is about 3/4" farther back than the T3 flange, whereas on the HX35 it is more or less flush. I think I can shimmy the exhaust back to make up that difference. Hopefully it is all bolt up and go. But most likely not.

Since you were all asking for pics and video, here you go.

IMG_7806.jpg IMG_7807.jpg IMG_7808.JPG IMG_7809.JPG

Doesn't look that bad to me, with the exception of the clamp where your turbo meets the intake. That doesn'yt look like it would seal at all. I think your downpipe turned out great, ans I like the big blue silicone elbows.:)

Matt

Doesn't look that bad to me, with the exception of the clamp where your turbo meets the intake. That doesn'yt look like it would seal at all. I think your downpipe turned out great, ans I like the big blue silicone elbows.:)

Matt

Thanks Matt. The joint from the turbo to the intake is what I am least proud of, but it seems to work for now. I have the Peninsular upper intake adapter still sitting waiting to go on. I too like the big blue elbows. I got them at Siliconeintakes.com, which I recommend.

Here is a video I threw together of 2 runs I did with the HX. First one, truck gets up to 18psi and defuels, rpms jumping up and down +/- 500rpm. Second clip shows the truck at 3/4 throttle, approx 12psi. Seems to pull pretty well at that throttle level.

Back