• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift Pump Not Working, Where to Start

Pedal swap. 2 hours at junkyard, 2 more at home for r&r.
Ip which you are a pro at now.
Buy aftermarket trans controller- that will be a 1 day thing in itself.
Mechanical boost control if it isn’t already on that truck.

Only other thing to complicate it is if you must have cruise control, and don’t want to do throttle cable cruise control.

Then at 30,000 mile intervals you bump the timing 1/16” advance to make up for timing chain stretch if you are really worried about it. But most just do that around every 100,000 miles.

Last step is sell off ds4, pmds, throttle pedal.

and incase you think I am being biased (which I am) can everyone who ever had a db2 die in under 200,000 miles please chime in. And compare that to everyone who had to replace pmd or ds4 or APP or ground wire issues in 200,000 miles.

yes swapping to db2 is a little more work than just ds4 swap. Until you add in the first pmd swap and any other issue at all.

Cable actuated pedal?

He’s got an adjustable, 4 position Buddy tune on the PCM.

Cable actuated pedal?

He’s got an adjustable, 4 position Buddy tune on the PCM.

yes. Db2 is cable pedal. Seriously no electrical needed for db2 except the fuel shut off solenoid. Zombie day peppers even make a swap that for a mechanic device and keep it in the truck jic. and most choose a manual transmission. Only purpose of any electrical is starter and lights.

i think more db2 conversions are gonna happen as new ds4 options are gone.
Hopefully you don’t experience why so many of us never buy reman ds4. So many get worn head/rotor than fresh rebuilt is only good for 50-70,000 miles.

Yeah, those three letter build codes are gold for how a vehicle is equipped. Type of rear axle, axle ratio, engine, power option types or standard (locks, windows, seats) sound system, transmission type/model, transfer case, brake system, etc. The key is knowing what each three letter grouping means. The first letter is the systems designator, the next two the option. Example only: Y is 6.5 turbo diesel, EA - 1500 2wd reg cab long bed, EB - 1500 2wd Ext Cab long bed, EC - 1500 2wd reg cab short bed, you guys get the idea.

So my guess on those RA AC Delco and Delphi lisrings are that those are the Engine Code options those pumps apply to. Now, which vehicle types those are, I have no clue. For 1994, there was that specialized DS-4 for certain HD models only, that was dropped for 95+ in favor of using the same DS-4 on all engines.

Yeah, those three letter build codes are gold for how a vehicle is equipped. Type of rear axle, axle ratio, engine, power option types or standard (locks, windows, seats) sound system, transmission type/model, transfer case, brake system, etc. The key is knowing what each three letter grouping means. The first letter is the systems designator, the next two the option. Example only: Y is 6.5 turbo diesel, EA - 1500 2wd reg cab long bed, EB - 1500 2wd Ext Cab long bed, EC - 1500 2wd reg cab short bed, you guys get the idea.

So my guess on those RA AC Delco and Delphi lisrings are that those are the Engine Code options those pumps apply to. Now, which vehicle types those are, I have no clue. For 1994, there was that specialized DS-4 for certain HD models only, that was dropped for 95+ in favor of using the same DS-4 on all engines.

Thanks. My son will get me the codes tonight.

He drove the truck around and it’s working fine. He has a fuel leak in the valley, so probably did not get one of the injector lines sealed tight. I told him to shine a flashlight at night on the injector lines to the IP and the leak will glisten.

As this is a “borrowed” IP, I will order an AC Delco pump from rockauto, but will time it for delivery here in Montana (no sales tax) before we head down there for Thanksgiving. At least we know the problem and a fresh IP going in will be motivating. Don’t get going about reman IPs going just 80K miles. New ones went 100K to 120K in my experience and this engine has 290K miles on it with decent blow by.

Son also found my GM Tech Scan and will be doing the TDC 1.91 thing. He was asking about the tool to move the IP. I just used a flat steel bar with two bolts through it and I direct him where to find it.

I would love to get another 100K miles out of this pig. Eventually the engine will go WarWagon on us, but we have the back up engine. To put in it.

I think he's referring to the IP you pull off when swapping for the AC Delco, which, hopefully is rebuilt by them and not a company licensed to use the name. Like Schwinn bicycles are made by some company in China with a Schwinn decal on the down bar.

Conestoga has sent out some messed up pumps lately would be the concearn. And they basically screwed over the people.

I would call AC Delco tech line and ask about them re-building the ip and what exactly their warranty is and if it is honored through RA before buying it. AC Delco has strong reputation but many people resell there stuff and the buyer ends up without a useable warranty. I would be amazed if there is any warranty beyond 1 year to the date of purchase.

If I was worried about possibly having to deal with a warranty issue, I would not deal with rockauto. All is well until you have an issue. Unless things have changed, there is no customer service. I had an issue and could not contact anybody. I eventually filed a credit card dispute. Rock called months later and asked if they could help me with the issue. I didn't even know what he was talking about at first.

If you have a good rebuilder nearby, I would go that route. Or if you have a good rebuilder you can ship to.

I don't have a good rebuilder. I only know what's posted here and frankly it's a mixed bag of rumors and complaints. I got my last IP from Conestoga based on recommendations here and it's working fine. Now people post here that some had issues with IPs from Conestoga. I don't know who that was, or the details, but I'm guessing it was a non-stock Moose Pump.

I've dealt with RockAuto on warranties before and they honored warranties. The issue is the return shipping cost.

Back