• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift Pump Not Working, Where to Start

I wonder who @quadstar87 uses to do their rebuilds.
I thought if I was going to get a reman pump I would try to get a used one then send it over to them. 🤷‍♂️
The pump I sent to Big T to try out was in a box from SSDS, It was I think a fairly early one, according to the guy I bought it from He made the purchase about 15 or so years ago. Near as what He could recall about it.
How long it will run, 🤷‍♂️, who knows ?
I had thought about sending that one over to QStar and at the least have it checked out, see what kind of components is actually within the housing and what kind of a job had been done on the rebuild. Biggest thing about that, for Me, is the funds to get all that done. I have a couple of other items on My priority list for right now, when I get those handled, then, if nothing else happens, It will get done.

I only know what's posted here and frankly it's a mixed bag of rumors and complaints.

Things change. Some things don't. Google reviews on some places, yes the bad ones, can shine the light on the BS some places pull.

It's expensive to replace the head and rotor in a IP rebuild. Sadly they do wear out. See if you can find a rebuilder that will put a new head and rotor in the IP. The can warranty a worn out one all they want - it's not worth it. Some of the pumps on the bench had that "no hot start" problem. Yay! We get to change that IP again! :banghead:

I don't know what parts for the DS4 are no longer made.

I wonder who @quadstar87 uses to do their rebuilds.
I thought if I was going to get a reman pump I would try to get a used one then send it over to them. 🤷‍♂️
The pump I sent to Big T to try out was in a box from SSDS, It was I think a fairly early one, according to the guy I bought it from He made the purchase about 15 or so years ago. Near as what He could recall about it.
How long it will run, 🤷‍♂️, who knows ?
I had thought about sending that one over to QStar and at the least have it checked out, see what kind of components is actually within the housing and what kind of a job had been done on the rebuild. Biggest thing about that, for Me, is the funds to get all that done. I have a couple of other items on My priority list for right now, when I get those handled, then, if nothing else happens, It will get done.

Quadstar is cheaper at $725, but their core charge is higher at $125. Says they will use new parts where needed:

Quadstarr used to use a very good rebuilder. I have no idea who they use now that their rebuilder changed professions.

I liked the place in Michigan I used order injectors from. But it has been a while. Might not even be alive anymore. Might be as good as ever.

Last edited:
I don't have a good rebuilder. I only know what's posted here and frankly it's a mixed bag of rumors and complaints. I got my last IP from Conestoga based on recommendations here and it's working fine. Now people post here that some had issues with IPs from Conestoga. I don't know who that was, or the details, but I'm guessing it was a non-stock Moose Pump.

I've dealt with RockAuto on warranties before and they honored warranties. The issue is the return shipping cost.
How did you get a hold of anybody at rock?

I have never had any longevity out of hardly any rebuilt off the shelf parts.

I would just buy new or find a rebuilder. Some rebuilders are great. Some - not so much.

How did you get a hold of anybody at rock?

I have never had any longevity out of hardly any rebuilt off the shelf parts.

I would just buy new or find a rebuilder. Some rebuilders are great. Some - not so much.

New is no longer an option. Not liking the misdirection here. AC Delco sounding better.

Things change. Some things don't. Google reviews on some places, yes the bad ones, can shine the light on the BS some places pull.

It's expensive to replace the head and rotor in a IP rebuild. Sadly they do wear out. See if you can find a rebuilder that will put a new head and rotor in the IP. The can warranty a worn out one all they want - it's not worth it. Some of the pumps on the bench had that "no hot start" problem. Yay! We get to change that IP again! :banghead:

I don't know what parts for the DS4 are no longer made.

The head and rotor were the first parts they announced they were no longer making. When they ran out of those inhouse, is when they quit building new pumps. Talking to their production manager. They had 1 last 5 axis that made them and when it died, they ended it because just not enough market to justify another one and the program changes required.

He would not say how long they plan to make db2.
but hmmwvs are still in production until 2035 (and looking at 2045) and they have no plans to ditch the db2 talking to them.

@Big T
Seriously verify with AC Delco that they will allow you to warranty direct.

Rock auto left me in the ditch when the bosch glow plug ruined my piston. Bosch wouldn’t touch it because I bought them at rock auto.

I have warrantied other stuff through rock auto without issue- like an alternator and a waterpump for a kia.

When I bought window regulators (both rears for my suburban) that were off brand, rock auto warrantied them when they died in a month. The replacements died quickly again and then I got ahold of a person and got the $ credited and bought AC Delco ones from them instead. One of them died still within the 12 months of the original crap brand purchase- but rock auto didn’t honor it. So I called AC Delco and they wouldn’t do anything because rock auto was not an authorized dealer. MAYBE that has changed- maybe not. I just suggest taking 10-15 minutes for the calls before dumping that much cash. One way to cut through the chaos- call yourself. Hopefully it has changed.

@Big T
Seriously verify with AC Delco that they will allow you to warranty direct.

Rock auto left me in the ditch when the bosch glow plug ruined my piston. Bosch wouldn’t touch it because I bought them at rock auto.

I have warrantied other stuff through rock auto without issue- like an alternator and a waterpump for a kia.

When I bought window regulators (both rears for my suburban) that were off brand, rock auto warrantied them when they died in a month. The replacements died quickly again and then I got ahold of a person and got the $ credited and bought AC Delco ones from them instead. One of them died still within the 12 months of the original crap brand purchase- but rock auto didn’t honor it. So I called AC Delco and they wouldn’t do anything because rock auto was not an authorized dealer. MAYBE that has changed- maybe not. I just suggest taking 10-15 minutes for the calls before dumping that much cash. One way to cut through the chaos- call yourself. Hopefully it has changed.
I still haven't figured out how ypu actually contacted anybody at rock. I tried for 2 days and they got back to me over a month later.

It was a Moog part and all Moog would say is contact the seller.

It was when they still had people you can talk to. Now they don’t answer calls. Cant do anything besides emails now, and yes they suck at responding to that.

Go back and look at my old posts before they were a vendor here and you’ll see i used and recommended them before. Now... it better be something I don’t care if I have to wait a couple months for.

It was when they still had people you can talk to. Now they don’t answer calls. Cant do anything besides emails now, and yes they suck at responding to that.

Go back and look at my old posts before they were a vendor here and you’ll see i used and recommended them before. Now... it better be something I don’t care if I have to wait a couple months for.

This ^^^ is why my original Facebook account is still frozen. They do not have any in-person support and no e-mail contact.

So in summary:
1) They don't make new heads and rotors for the DS4 IP, so no new IPs and no new parts to rebuild used IPs. So let's fight over who uses new vs used parts, as the point is moot.
2) AC Delco 2 year warranty vs 1 year warranty from QuadStar? Reality with warranties (we all know this) the part is either bad on the initial install, or it goes the distance. I will call AC Delco today.
3) They still make parts for the DB2. Conversion is a PITA. Need a manual transmission. I'm just trying to make this truck go for the remainder of its useful life and the suggestion here is a complete makeover. Elsewhere, I was told not to throw parts at it and spent 1.75 years trying to get it going, yet throwing an IP at it was the solution. See my frustration???

Checked AC Delco website (on hold with Customer Support):

Contact Us: Call Us, Email Us, Write Us | ACDelco

How can I get my warranty reimbursed if the retailer/location/online retailer I purchased my part (e.g., battery) from is no longer open?
First, verify your part is within the warranty period using your purchaser’s receipt. View all parts warranty information here.
You will then need to purchase a replacement part and contact the Customer Support Center via the contact options below for further assistance. Ensure you have receipts available for both the original purchase and the replacement on hand for the claim. If approved, the reimbursement will cover the lower cost of the two parts. Purchase a replacement part here.

So it seems I can handle the warranty direct with AC Delco so long as I have the original receipt.

Update: Finally spoke with AC Delco Customer Service. They said that RockAuto is a 3rd party vendor who does not get their parts direct from AC Delco, so they cannot verify authenticity of the part and thus cannot honor warranties. Suprisingly, they said Amazon is their only authorized on-line vendor and warranty will work there:

Amazon.com : AC Delco 19209059

And nowhere do I see a core charge.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@Big T DB2 conversion is possible with an automatic trans, it's just that much more of a PITA and more expensive with the need for a standalone controller. But certainly doable with enough persistence and stubbornness lol.

I've never had a DS4 issue in 6 years of being a 6.5 owner (Enormous knock on wood) but was planning on conversion even before parts began to be discontinued for power and reliability reasons. Same reason I go manual trans- in my opinion, fewer computers is better. Kinda same reason I still use a flip phone, thing hasn't tried to force a software update on me yet 🤣

@Big T DB2 conversion is possible with an automatic trans, it's just that much more of a PITA and more expensive with the need for a standalone controller. But certainly doable with enough persistence and stubbornness lol.

I've never had a DS4 issue in 6 years of being a 6.5 owner (Enormous knock on wood) but was planning on conversion even before parts began to be discontinued for power and reliability reasons. Same reason I go manual trans- in my opinion, fewer computers is better. Kinda same reason I still use a flip phone, thing hasn't tried to force a software update on me yet 🤣

I just don't see enough remaining useful life on the truck to justify the DB2 conversion. Maybe if we slapped the other engine in it. Definitely would not convert to manual transmission. How much are the standalone controllers for the automatics?

Looks like MSD has one for about $210.00, the prices goes up to over a $1000.00 if a person wants to get real fancy.
I didnt check to see if that MSD came with the wire harness.

Back