• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LB7 Injectors again....dayum

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
Well I parked the truck today....pulled the tags off and started putting my crap in my new ride. I bought a 07 Tahoe LT and now I am back into payments...My truck will need a LBZ engine swap before I put it on the road again...Right now she still runs good other than the dang smoking at idle crap again and the mechaninc told me it would be wise to replace the CP3 and FPR and supply lines while they were replacing the injectors. This totals to about 6k that I don't have and for all purposes the truck isn't worth putting that much money in it. (The miles doomed it) However I know the truck is a solid truck and I will keep it for just the motor swap....Never thought I would be back into a gasser.....dayum..

Pushing 400k with an LB7 is still pretty damned impressive Tim...

Sorry to hear it didn't qute make it though... :nonod:

Well since you have another truck to run now why couldnt you just stock up on parts, tools, and a set of balls and do the injectors and check out other odds and ends yourself? I dont trust most mechanics on their recommended parts swapping.

If the CP3 is stil lsupplying pressure, why change it? It may be worth it to have it checked by somebody who knows teh LB7 to see what is actually going on with it. I had heard you only had 7K on it since teh injectors were just done, and now it's smoking white. This sounds liek injector cups to me more than injectors. I know most of teh dealerships take no care when swapping injectors, and will yank out the old ones and loosen the cups up when doing so.

It could be the cups....I talked with a diesel guy a couple of weeks ago and he is a vendor at the other place. He asked me some basic questions and he feels that since no one is changing out the supply lines during a injector change that is what is causing the injectors to fail within a shorter period of time. All of the crud in the supply lines will start damaging the injector and then you have this failure again. I was hoping that I could get 200k out the last set of injectors....but they recommend to change out the CP3 and FPR since everything is torn apart at that point. More preventative than anything else. I don't have the time to even think about doing the injectors nor the tools. The dealer has maintained my truck since new and the mechanic is old school and does a good job.

I stil don't see why the CP3, FPR or lines needs to be replaced. Crud in the lines? This is the FIRST time I have heard this one. Cavitation seems to be the #1 failure on these as the design of them is prone to aerating and the tiny bubbles erode the seats. A balance rate and injector kill test would be where I would start.

Tim, that truck would make it 500k no problem had it not been for the injectors. Pretty sad when a poor design ruins a good, solid designed motor that's capable of 500k miles easily with proper maintenance.

Whats your total mileage right now Tim?

I am at 376k mile Nick. Truck still runs strong, just the stinking smoking at idle....I don't want to risk anything on the engine and suffer any kind of issis so I have decided that I will hunt for heads and oother stuff to convert this to a LLY. Fermanator called me and gave me alot of sound advice. Going the LBZ way would cost way more money and the end benifits would be the same as the LLY. So know I am going to hunt for a LLY motor or heads and get started that direction. I will keep the truck and let it sit until I can get the money to get it done. Meanwhile I am in a gasser. Almost used the wrong hose when I went to fill up.....on a good note the Tahoe is getting 20.7 mpg hand calculated so not all is bad.

Heck Tim, lot's of 6.5 guys put way more than $6k into their trucks:D

After talking to Pepp I have been thinking about putting tags back on my truck and driving down to see Therm and let him give me some realtime advice. I want my truck back on the road but yet I don't want to hurt it while the injector issue is at hand. I know that if I keep running it I run the risk of blowing a hole in the piston and that I don't want to do so I am thinking about doing a LLY head swap....any thoughts about that?

For an 04 the LLY swap is just about as good as it gets. Find a good LLY pick-up truck engine, ECM, and engine harness and your in business. Your % speed TCM will work, and it is plug and play.

Thanks Ferm....is this something you could do. I will try and located approved parts list.

Could, it's just a basic engine swap for the most part. All of teh wiring is plug and play for an 04. Open up the fuese panel and unplug the LB7 harness, and then plug in the LLY's. Being an 04 truck, you probably even have teh G solonoid in the trans and could flash your TCM to an LLY OS to get the lowered shift points as well.

Ok I have search and not really found anything I was lokoing for. I think I could find a LLY motor faster than I can find a set of heads and a engine harness.

6 grand engine and trans. Is that a deal? Seems to me if you gave the guy 5500.00 and talked him out of a few other accessories it would be.

All SFC needs is the engine, harness, intercooler tubes and boots, and ECM though. His 04 LB7 is direct swap with an LLY since they use teh same wiring codes, intercooler, radiator, fan shrouds, and trans(most all 04's had the G solonoid, but the TCM simply didn't use it).

I would like to see the bottom end get reused with the lly heads and see how long it would run! Not many trucks are put to high miles and then reported...

Back