• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just Ordered An HX40WII

Thank you. Not trying to hijack your thread. Your truck runs and hard. Seeing that steering wheel brings back some memories of growing up in my dad's 92 pickup. Anyway, I bet you notice a huge difference once you tie down your rear end. Your truck sounds great and runs hard. Im way too scared to push the boost numbers you are though. if you could get more fuel the sky's the limit so long as your block holds together. I dont like anything over 20 on my motor without head studs. Not to mention the 200k + miles
I didn't consider that a hijack whatsoever. Anytime you want to post a video of that beautiful truck of yours haulin tail in one of my threads, please feel free! :D I'm only running a max of 18 psi boost now, as it dropped about 2 psi after installing the intercooler, and I decided to leave it alone until I have an IP that will deliver more fuel. I noticed in your signature it says you have a homebrew cold air kit on your truck. Any chance you could post pics, as that on my short list of to do's right now. Thanks

Matt

I didn't consider that a hijack whatsoever. Anytime you want to post a video of that beautiful truck of yours haulin tail in one of my threads, please feel free! :D I'm only running a max of 18 psi boost now, as it dropped about 2 psi after installing the intercooler, and I decided to leave it alone until I have an IP that will deliver more fuel. I noticed in your signature it says you have a homebrew cold air kit on your truck. Any chance you could post pics, as that on my short list of to do's right now. Thanks

Matt

Well, its changed a little since the HX35 went on. In highschool I built a box from 18 guage sheet metal. Painted it up and did chrome trim along with a 6.5 turbo diesel logo on it. It was cherry. Fit to the insulation on the hood and almost doubled the area around the filter. Capped off the resonator, added a 4'' K&N and called it a day. Since I did the HX35 I lost some room on the air intake side enough that I had to trash the old box. Im now running the 4'' silicone intake system many go with when upgrading the turbo. Paul gave me his old cold air intake kit from heath and I have now rigged that to work. IM using the metal heat shield box and the S&B filter, my K&N had seen better days. I have done a little more work on it recently. I removed the plastic snorkel that funnels the air from the grill into the side fender, looked really restrictive and since the S&B kit somewhat leaves the air box open I figured with the plastic snorkel out of the way it would ram air straight through the grill and back to the filter. I also have the cowl induction hood (Functional) and that doesnt have any insulation so the new box doesn't seat to the hood. Future plans are to move the battery to the stock air box location. Then re-rout the intake to sit right behind the front grill and build a box that blocks engine heat. With the electric fan setup I have the truck stays nice and cool for the most part. Next spring I plan on moving the oil cooler out from in front of the radiator. I have already bought an aftermarket fan equipped trans cooler and mounted it (red-knecked) to the skid plate. Plans for that are to move it under the truck and build a custom skit plate with a laser cut 6.5 or chevy logo back lit red. I will check and see if I can dig up an old pick of my intake

Thanks SS, and that looks like it was a very nice box. My turbo is similar to yours with an HX35w compressor, and wheel, but I'm using the CKO 14cm turbine housing, and cartridge. I'm trying to work out some sort of cold air kit, or find a K47 before the hot weather returns. I sure like the way your truck runs, but I don't think I will ever pull a 0-60 as quick as you, with my 3.42 gears, but when my tuck goes into OD/lock up at 75, it pulls like a freight train to past 100. I haven't tried to top it out, as it really needs better tires, and a little front end work before I'll feel comfortable going that fast. :eek: Thanks for the great reply, and pic!

Matt

Yeah, that's a PDQ truck SSForce has got. FWIW, the air filter kit he has was the used AFE set up I was running for a while. It was gifted from Bill long before he started selling his own designs. I added a new AFE filter to it but when I went to the new units Bill was/is selling, I passed it along...'See a need, fill a need.'

Yeah, that's a PDQ truck SSForce has got. FWIW, the air filter kit he has was the used AFE set up I was running for a while. It was gifted from Bill long before he started selling his own designs. I added a new AFE filter to it but when I went to the new units Bill was/is selling, I passed it along...'See a need, fill a need.'
I've been on the receiving end of your "see a need, fill a need" as well Paul, and its nice to have people who help others out when they can. :) SS's K2500 is certainly a PDQ truck, that looks as good as it runs! Mine will probably never look that good either, as its a work truck. There is nothing more painful that doing a nice repaint on your vehicle, and then scratching it up on the job the next day.:mad::D

Matt

Well, I've decided that the next thing on my list of to do's for my truck that would yield substantial gains in power is the IP. After reading all the great things Chevypoor has to say about Conestoga Diesel's Bull Moose pump, and their service, I've decided this is the way to go. Its performance built 100cc DB2. I've decided that this is what I'm going to do, along with a set of 2200 pop injectors, but it won't fit into the budget until after Christmas. Their prices aren't to bad, so long as the pump you send them isn't so wore out it needs alot of hard parts replaced, so I set out to find a really good core.
Here is the core I found. Its a 2009 DB2831-5079 military pump with the 24v fuel solenoid. I have an extra pump with the 12v top, so thats not a problem. The pump is a true 2009 model, as its julian date cast into the case says 09, and the bar code decal reads 12/17/09. I figure one this new would make for a great core. Here are a couple pics.Any of you guys know whats up with the rubber boot that is clamped on the head of this pump? I removed it just to take a look, and its certainly done a nice job protecting the head from rust. It looks new under there. Thanks
By the way, Happy Thanksgiving!
Matt

Attachments

• PB270224 (1024x768).jpg
    PB270224 (1024x768).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PB270227 (1024x768).jpg
    PB270227 (1024x768).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 6
  • PB270235 (1024x768).jpg
    PB270235 (1024x768).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 5
  • PB270236 (1024x768).jpg
    PB270236 (1024x768).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PB270237 (1024x768).jpg
    PB270237 (1024x768).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PB270238 (1024x768).jpg
    PB270238 (1024x768).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5
  • PB270239 (1024x768).jpg
    PB270239 (1024x768).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

I stand corrected. AFE not S&B. Shows how much I look under the hood. o_O

I've been on the receiving end of your "see a need, fill a need" as well Paul, and its nice to have people who help others out when they can. :) SS's K2500 is certainly a PDQ truck, that looks as good as it runs! Mine will probably never look that good either, as its a work truck. There is nothing more painful that doing a nice repaint on your vehicle, and then scratching it up on the job the next day.:mad::D

Matt

I fully understand the work truck issues. She may look pretty but don't let her fool you. She gets down and dirty as much as any other.The tailgate has been painted twice over now since I fixed it the first time :mad: because of work. And last time I took her to work I had 1.5 tons in the bed and beat out my managers 99 powerstroke (chipped, exhaust) in mileage and speed heading 3 hours to the job.

I can't say thank you enough to Paul for all he has done. Hes a great friend who will drop anything to help a fellow 6.5'er in need. I owe him a lot. Still waiting to return the favor with his rig.

That pump looks and sounds like a great candidate. Im really excited to see what it does for your truck. I have yet to make a full pull to 100 but as soon as I do you can be sure I will post it here. :D

Glad to hear you have decided to go with the Bull Moose- hope you are as happy as I have been so far. When I was talking to the folks at Conestoga Diesel I discovered the Moose pump was developed by the current owners over 30 years ago. They have been testing and tuning and the original Bull Moose from 30 years ago put out the same fuel as a Moose Junior now puts out. On my core I used the worn out old IP and no issues getting full core. The pump comes without the IP return fitting so make sure you keep that. I asked for the Ferd tailcone on the IP which they were happy to provide for no charge. The Ferd tailcone is drilled out for a larger supply line- I had a 3/8" barbed fitting that screwed right in. Another option is they sent the Ferd brass fitting that screws in and adapts to the Ferd hard 3/8" fuel line. You could find a Ferd in the wrecking yard and remove a short section of the hard line that will attach to IP just like Ferd did. They also sent a prepaid shipping form to return the core. I sent the core on Monday and had the core check in hand on Friday.

I picked up 7 Bosch Germany DN0SD311 marine nozzles the other day for $39. I know I still need one more nozzle but I've got that covered. I realize that marine nozzles don't really offer much advantage over the standard DN0SD304 nozzles, but I couldn't resist the $39 price tag, so I'll be using these in my injectors. Apparently these are old stock, as they are sealed in a rubber like coating, rather than the little plastic containers. I removed the covering from one, just for pics. I'll be sending these, as well as some core injector of to a friend to have them set to 2200 pop.

Here is the link to the injectors I bought. Bosch Dnosd 311 Germany Lot of 7 | eBay

Matt

Attachments

• PC030220 (1024x768).jpg
    PC030220 (1024x768).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PC030221 (1024x768).jpg
    PC030221 (1024x768).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PC030223 (1024x768).jpg
    PC030223 (1024x768).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PC030228 (1024x768).jpg
    PC030228 (1024x768).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PC030229 (1024x768).jpg
    PC030229 (1024x768).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PC030230 (1024x768).jpg
    PC030230 (1024x768).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 5
Nice Score and happy hunting for the 8th one. Mine were set at 2400psi when rebuilt. Not sure what a difference 200psi would make but, there's some discussion that they will settle in a little lower after the newness wears off. Not certain as I haven't pulled them to have them tested while the truck is in hibernating this winter. Guess I could to see how they're holding up after a year/17,000 miles.

Nice Score and happy hunting for the 8th one. Mine were set at 2400psi when rebuilt. Not sure what a difference 200psi would make but, there's some discussion that they will settle in a little lower after the newness wears off. Not certain as I haven't pulled them to have them tested while the truck is in hibernating this winter. Guess I could to see how they're holding up after a year/17,000 miles.

Thanks, and I've already found the 8th Paul, so I'm all set. The guy doing the work recommended 2200, but I'll ask him a couple questions. It would be interesting to see where yours are popping at after 17,000 miles.

Matt

Attachments

• PC050221 (1024x768).jpg
    PC050221 (1024x768).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PC050220 (1024x768).jpg
    PC050220 (1024x768).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PC050225 (1024x768).jpg
    PC050225 (1024x768).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 8
Walked outside this morning to see a drip of oil under my truck. Upon further inspection, I see one of my oil cooler lines is leaking.
thumbsdown.gif
Back when I refreshed, and installed my 6.5, I knew I should have replaced them, but the engine had already drained my wallet, and I just didn't have the extra cash. While I'm aware there are upgrade kits for these, the price difference is huge, and I have no intention of continuing to drive it, and risk having it actually pop. That said my local Orielly's has them in stock. $27 for one, and $32 for the other. So, I guess I know what I'll be doing today.
I know it doesn't show very well in the pics, but there is oil all over my frame.

Matt

Attachments

• PC060225 (1024x768).jpg
    PC060225 (1024x768).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 6
  • PC060226 (1024x768).jpg
    PC060226 (1024x768).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PC060227 (1024x768).jpg
    PC060227 (1024x768).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 6
For the sake of yout beautiful 6.5 please don't use oem style replacements. They are known to fail even when new, the clips that hold them in are a joke.

I just swapped to the SS braided lines and haven't worried about it since.

The replacement lines you get at the jobbers seem to be pretty hit and miss. May last a couple months or a couple years.

Its all about what your pocketbook can support at the time I guess.....:)

Part of the reason I ordered a kit was I was doing and engine change and oil coolers are easier to replace than flush after a 6.5 diesel SEDS (sudden engine death syndrome) event!

:)

X2 on Jorge and Great White posts. I spent the 70 bucks on Dorman replacements. A month later I was saving up for Teds engine from SEDS. Just my 2 cents from bad experience. Its funny how I used to circle check trucks I drove for a living, and hop in my own truck and drive off. Those days are gone. Nice build by the way, and my swap sucked my finances dry 3 times and a few years went by before everything was replaced to my liking. Keep up the posting and pics, Im enjoying your threads.

Back