• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I committed one of the seven deadly sins

Grady...whichever tune you settle on (85 was my fav) it takes time for the tranny to learn it. I was always nervous leaning on it until it ran for a while.

The 85 tune, in my opinion, is the most drivable tune out of the 4. It's always shifted great and felt super light on it's feet.

Mike, yours smokes when you nail it? I hardly ever got any smoke at all, just a light haze after the first second or two. That's what I liked about it. I'm not into rolling coal. I could care less about fogging an intersection.

The 85 tune, in my opinion, is the most drivable tune out of the 4. It's always shifted great and felt super light on it's feet.

Mike, yours smokes when you nail it? I hardly ever got any smoke at all, just a light haze after the first second or two. That's what I liked about it. I'm not into rolling coal. I could care less about fogging an intersection.

Remember I still have a functional EGR so every 100 miles or so I nail it for a cleanout. Yesterday was a much higher load of soot and I believe it's due to the extra fueling. Afterward it was heavy "haze".

What I noticed this AM on my usual hammer it routine after 55 miles of road from home was a disappointing defuel just before the shift to 2nd. That's always irritated me about the stock tune. This eve I did the same thing and did not have a defuel issue so I believe the trans hadn't learned yet.

One other thing is I'm noticing some surprising upticks in my mpg readout. I'm looking at more than a 1 mpg improvement at 150 miles into the tune. Surprising! We'll see when I fuel up and for the next tank.

All in all it's really a noticeable improvement at any speeds.:thumbsup:

Mike, sometimes the tunes play games with the DIC if you are gauging the mpg increase from that. You should see a little mpg improvement, but the DIC on the higher tunes give a slightly false reading. You must hand calculate to be more exact. Other than that, enjoy. ;)

Mike, sometimes the tunes play games with the DIC if you are gauging the mpg increase from that. You should see a little mpg improvement, but the DIC on the higher tunes give a slightly false reading. You must hand calculate to be more exact. Other than that, enjoy. ;)
I've never trusted the DIC and have hand calculated every tank ever pumped. I'm just going by comparison to what I usually see. I thought the tuner might be doing a trick with it. We'll see. Last week I got 19.35 which is the best in a year. Usually 17.75 - 18.50.

It's definitely higher. Usually I'm sitting at 190ish miles at the 1/2 tank mark; today it was over 220.

If you guys get more than 1 MPG I'm gonna be pissed. That's all it gave me...:sad:

I also have a functioning EGR. I never felt the need to disable it. I didn't want to have to buy the electronics to defeat it so I hear you there.

Other than an intake and 4" exhaust, my truck is no different from yours.

So the first tank came to exactly 18 mpg over 340 miles. Seems rather odd that this time my DIC read dead nuts with my hand calc for the first time ever...

Last edited by a moderator:
You Dmax guys ... never wanting to come out and play with the rest of us.

Sheesh. What are we gonna do with you???

):h):h):h):h):h

Last edited by a moderator:
Predator is an awesome tuner as well as a pretty good tool for diagnostics. If you go to to Diablos site and download the Dataviewer, you can actually log the balance rates. Not bad for a $300 tuner. The latest updates also let you fool around with fueling and timing adjustments.

Another thing...If you have a laptop, you really don't need the power cord. The dataplug under the dash can supply the voltage while you flash the new .crom file onto the unit itself.

Even though, I use EFILive, I really don't see myself selling the Predator anytime soon.

I still want to get a hold of a PREDATOR for an LB7 and see how they do there tuning in it. I've heard nothing but good things about them so far, and would like to use a tune from one to maybe help me smooth my tunes out some more. Pretty happy with my current tune though. She don't smoke much:Justwait2:, and kicks in nice and smooth:coal:.

I have had mine for 4 years now on 60 but after reading this thread I am going to change to the 85 hp tune...

2nd tank 380 miles and 18.45 mpg. Once again the DIC was right on. Keep in mind I haven't corrected the tire size yet so I'm still using a 1.07 multiplier for the miles (285s).

Glad to hear you like the Predator and it worked out for you Mike. Double bonus that you are getting the uptick in mileage as well!

Here's a question. If I'm getting ready to tow the loader which is about a 14-15 k load in total, should I drop back to a lower tune than the 85?

Back