• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hummer Fan clutch setup

My crossover already has a tapped hole with a plug in it and I have a block-off plate with a tapped hole in it. So I can put it pretty much anywhere I need to. So do I need it in the hottest place or close to the thermostat. Do I need both on and off to be above the thermostats temp or on either side or what?

Thats all part of why adjustability is so important to do this. You could put it anywhere. And then you should read the dash gauge by the passenger rear head so you know what is the worst part. Then adjust to what the engine needs. Otherwise to be safe you have to have it on too early and running too late- that is gonna eat up your mpg gains you are trying to make, along with the power loss.

My theory was put near thermostat that the fan can be adjusted so it wont come on before tstat opens. That is where the tstat reads its temp so it made sense to me and it works good imo.

Thats all part of why adjustability is so important to do this. You could put it anywhere. And then you should read the dash gauge by the passenger rear head so you know what is the worst part. Then adjust to what the engine needs. Otherwise to be safe you have to have it on too early and running too late- that is gonna eat up your mpg gains you are trying to make, along with the power loss.
It never crossed my mind to put the gauge sensor in the rear of the passenger head. I like that idea. You're right about it needing to be adjustable. I found a Derale controller that is adjustable that doesn't seem to have all the electronics that the Dakota Digital controllers have. I like things that use less electronics.

My theory was put near thermostat that the fan can be adjusted so it wont come on before tstat opens. That is where the tstat reads its temp so it made sense to me and it works good imo.
t

That makes sense to me also. That's where I'm gonna put it.

I gotta source a few things out first. I am waiting on a 12v solenoid to replace the 24v one I have now.

My plans were to use a trinary switch but a friend of mine that does alot of hotrods with electric fans said that I would be better off just taking a signal from the A/C compressor clutch. He said that with the trinary switch the fan clutch would cycle on and off too much. That would be annoying with an electric fan and it would be detrimental to this type of clutch.

Ok temp probe is 1/8in NPT if I remember correct. and it is designed to come on with a/c and adding a manual over ride is no problem either.

Back