• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hummer Fan clutch setup

As far as making the setup automatic coudl you use a hayden electric fan control with the adjustable "kick on" temperature setup? It's a probe that goes into the fins of the rad. HIt the set temp, fan kicks on. Drops below set temp, fan kicks off.

The hayden controllers are designed to control the low side of a relay. If you can get a relay to control the power on/off to the control box it may work. YOu could also set up a "manual override" which is on as long as you want it to be on.

Only bitch is the 24V solenoid. How would one get around that?

Use a different sol. I had no intention of using the Humvee sol. It's merely hyd static pressure from the hyd system being applied and that does not matter with voltage. I could use another sol and any kind of controller I wanted to make up. That part should be easy...They key will be getting my hands on a serp pulley. If the pulley lines up, the rest should be easy. Gotta tell you from that pic I think it will. Course on my CUCV wouldn't matter, I can get 24v pre resistor.

Yeah I saw that. Ended up there by the name stamped over the pics but they want 200$ for it shipped and I'm not gonna spend that on something I don't know will fit. I'm hoping to find a used one from a surplus supplier. I learned from my rad experiment...$$$. I got all the time int he world on this so sooner or later I'll come across a used one. May have a line on one now. Working on something. Top Secret covert stuff....:rof:
Once I can confirm the pulley fits and line up I can't see any other reason this can't work. My original plan was to use the idea Robyn gave using a Powerstroke Electirc Horton one but I ended up using my guinneau pig waterpump on my 93 and I'm not blowing 150$ on a WP just to probably break it...:D

Maybe call Ted's or other surplus military suppliers? They may have one off a wounded in action 6.5 with a serp drive...

For the record:
The on and off will be offset by quicker response of the fan. In other words you don't watch the temps climb at WOT while waiting for the thermal spring to turn on the fan clutch. Temps start to climb and 'wham' the fan turns on.

An electric booster fan for AC or a complicated pressure switch or temp sensor for the condenser will also be needed to kick on the fan. I see a AC compressor on the one engine pic, what do the Hummers use for the AC side of this fan?

For the record:
The on and off will be offset by quicker response of the fan. In other words you don't watch the temps climb at WOT while waiting for the thermal spring to turn on the fan clutch. Temps start to climb and 'wham' the fan turns on.

An electric booster fan for AC or a complicated pressure switch or temp sensor for the condenser will also be needed to kick on the fan. I see a AC compressor on the one engine pic, what do the Hummers use for the AC side of this fan?

The Hummers A/C condenser is in the back of the vehicle. Drivers side, it has two electric fans that suck air from the side and pull it threw the condenser and out the top.

I will get a pic tomorrow while I am at work.

The Hummers A/C condenser is in the back of the vehicle. Drivers side, it has two electric fans that suck air from the side and pull it threw the condenser and out the top.

I will get a pic tomorrow while I am at work.

So you are saying the humvee uses electric fans for the condenser independently of the engine fan...I like this thread alot. All sorts of good stuff coming together.

For the record:

That is exactly right and what I am driving for. it is how most Class 8 trucks work. I do think a trinary switch would work for the a/c.

So you are saying the humvee uses electric fans for the condenser independently of the engine fan....

Yes, exactly.

The condenser lays horizontally above the rear wheel. It has an electric fan on it that comes on and off with the A/C. Completely independant of the engine cooling fan.

That is exactly right and what I am driving for. it is how most Class 8 trucks work. I do think a trinary switch would work for the a/c.

All you need to turn on the fan with the AC is a signal to the relay controlling the hydraulic solenoid and a diode to prevent the temp signal from turning on the AC compressor. If I remember right the Hayden controller has the diode built in and is adjustable for activation.

Yes, exactly.

The condenser lays horizontally above the rear wheel. It has an electric fan on it that comes on and off with the A/C. Completely independant of the engine cooling fan.

That was one of my other ideas, using an old R Model condensor under the truck somewhere with Fans to free up airflow to the rad.

Back