• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do you hotrod a Detroit 6-71?

Vid was with engine cold, but yeah I agree on the rack adj and inj height needing set. The lope goes away completely when at op temp.

Vid was with engine cold, but yeah I agree on the rack adj and inj height needing set. The lope goes away completely when at op temp.
It normally will if the rack is semi close, but the cold lope is a dead giveaway it needs to be done.

Should have added to my post #18 that Diamond 'Reo' came to be after the merger with White and Autocar. No more Diamond T trucks.

So it looks like I need to pull a rocker cover and confirm some things. Then go on the hunt for some age old Detroit diesel tools. Height gauge etc..

If you have a dial caliper you can use the tab that comes down from the bottom to measure height, maybe save a 20 bucks on the tool.

Most all the marine guys I see set the racks have used dial indicators instead of the height gauge. That way they can dial them in closer than just a go no go gauge.

Cool, got a few of those. Been watching some yootoobers do Detroit racks and it looks fairly easy. Have to develop a feel for it.

Your 4-53 would probably respond well to some bigger squirts and a good tune, that's probably what I'll do.

Yeah, I don't want to discourage you from it, my guess of 3grand would be buying new parts in a kit. Do some research to find a few turbo options, then pick on up from ebay. maybe some rebuilt injectors, then a used bypass. The rest you can make no problem.

You don't have to have the supercharger bypass to make a turbo work on a DETROIT. They offered quite a few engines with turbos that fed right into the turbo without a bypass. If you want the full benefit though, the bypass is a nice peace. I would imagine an old GM-X would probably work just fine on a 4-53. Then your stuck looking for injectors, but at least they are fairly cheap.

Why not? Does the 4-53 throw out any soot? If not a turbo may not do much until you can stoke the fire some. (injectors)

If i run her wide open she burns pretty clean, let her fast idle(1200 rpm) for an hr and the fuel will be running down the stack.

Wet stacking isn't uncommon on older diesels. If at WOT with a full load it burns clean, then a turbo isn't going to do anything, maybe even reduce your output some. You would need bigger injectors to take advantage of the added air.

Wet stacking isn't uncommon on older diesels. If at WOT with a full load it burns clean, then a turbo isn't going to do anything, maybe even reduce your output some. You would need bigger injectors to take advantage of the added air.
Do you have a model number?,..i have no clue what is in there now

Do you have a model number?,..i have no clue what is in there now

It depends on what injectors you have now. It should be stamped on the injector itself. From what I could find it looks like the 4-53 was available up to 150HP from DETROIT in a N/A application, so an injector swap may be all you need to up your engines output. If I had to guess I would say an N55 would probably get you up to a decent output. You could go crazy though and run up to a N125(or at least you used to be able to get them that big), but that would be DANGEROUS amounts of fuel unless you were built up for it.

Back