• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do you hotrod a Detroit 6-71?

I'd like to find a DD shop manual or field service manual (or both) or know where to look online.

When I find out for sure what injectors are in there and if I'm 2 or 4 valve then I can get a game plan. I'd like to try the bigger squirts with a 4 valve head (24 exhaust valves :)) either buy one of get lucky and already have one. Then maybe re-pack the supercharger and add a turbo setup. Then there's the cam swap.. :dunno:

So I have this Diamond T, a '67 with a 6-71N. Dunno if it's 2 or 4 valve, dunno what injectors it has.. Yet. It's just a toy. Thought I'd like yet another truck that turns diesel into beautiful noise. :D

Nobby you out there?
There was a turbo intercooled electronic injected DDE 6-71 in 1998 that was rated at 485 HP at 2100 RPM, continuous duty this was a high performance marine application. Believe Johnson and Towers build it using all available stock DD parts.
Start with one of those, it will require beefing up the drive train if you are going to haul with the rig.
Good luck with your project.

There was a turbo intercooled electronic injected DDE 6-71 in 1998 that was rated at 485 HP at 2100 RPM, continuous duty this was a high performance marine application. Believe Johnson and Towers build it using all available stock DD parts.
Start with one of those, it will require beefing up the drive train if you are going to haul with the rig.
Good luck with your project.
The JOHNSON and TOWERS spun em up a good bit higher than 2100. Even there N/A version was rated up to 2500 RPM's. I believe the highest anybody ever pushed one up for any length of time on the rating was 435HP. There was a few 450HP versions, but I believe they were regarded as grenades. Even the 6-92 had a poor track record over 435HP.

Company I used to work for had a Koehring 666 excavator with a 6 v 71 engine. Used to put in 10 gallons of gasoline (in a 100 +- gallon tank). Was noticeably more powerful, not good, I'm sure tho.

(anyone remember them? Air over hydraulic 'thumb buttons', park one track to turn, modern, man.)

-c-

Back