• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High Idle Installed ..... Wow!

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
I got my high idle mod done today. What a sweet thing that is!:D My truck warmed up twice as fast.:thumbsup: For those of you who have already done this, you know what I'm talking about, but if you haven't, and you live in the "great white north", I would highly recommend it. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner! It is cheap, and easy to do provided you get the right pins for the pcm. Cost me about 10 bucks. Followed the instruction on the Kennedy site, easy, easy. Did mine a little different than most, used a 2 position switch instead of 2 switches. I have no intent on using the 1600 rpm setting, so the 2 pos. works well and eliminates the need for more holes and wires. I didn't see any point in pictures as it was soooo simple. Anyone can do it! If anyone would like pics, let me know and I can shoot some for you.

Stay warm!
Mike

I got my high idle mod done today. What a sweet thing that is!:D My truck warmed up twice as fast.:thumbsup: For those of you who have already done this, you know what I'm talking about, but if you haven't, and you live in the "great white north", I would highly recommend it. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner! It is cheap, and easy to do provided you get the right pins for the pcm. Cost me about 10 bucks. Followed the instruction on the Kennedy site, easy, easy. Did mine a little different than most, used a 2 position switch instead of 2 switches. I have no intent on using the 1600 rpm setting, so the 2 pos. works well and eliminates the need for more holes and wires. I didn't see any point in pictures as it was soooo simple. Anyone can do it! If anyone would like pics, let me know and I can shoot some for you.

Stay warm!
Mike

Sounds good Mike.

Tell me, what do you mean a 2 position switch? Did you still need 2 wires going to B7 +B8? Please explain.

Sounds good Mike.

Tell me, what do you mean a 2 position switch? Did you still need 2 wires going to B7 +B8? Please explain.

What I mean by 2 position is it has center as off, and the 2 on positions, up and down, either side of center. So in my case each on position has a wire going to the pcm, but the switch has only one ground wire and both on positions use the same ground. That way you only need one switch, 2 wires= 1 to b7, 1 to b8, and 1 ground wire. I like it. Clean and simple. Hope that helps.

I believe that switch is called a single pole, double throw. I think.

You are correct.

Pole is the number of circuits switched at once.

Throw is the number of switch points. Single has two terminals and is only on/off, double has three terminals and can have two or three toggle positions (on/off/on or on/none/on).

PCM pins for my 98 - 12089649
Mouser electronics #829-12089649 (I paid $0.18 ea. )
Mouser has all the delphi connectors and pin, you can search by GM / Delphi numbers

Last edited:
Where did you cet the pins for the ECM? And do you have a part number?

I bought the pins at the local GM dealer, a 1.50 each. The p/n's are int he procedures below.
I may get in trouble for this, but here are the procedures for OBD1 and OBD11

Fast Idle Setup
Electronic 6.5's
All electronic injected "drive by wire" 6.5s have provision for a fast idle for PTO or other use. This is particularly handy for warmup (heater) cool down (AC) as well as being easier on the engine if extended idle times are required.
The installation is quite simple:

94/5 models

Remove the glove box
Slide the PCM forward from its mounting behind the glove box. "I prefer to remove the PCM entirely"
Remove the center connector, by squeezing connector locks and pulling the pink 24 pin connector
Remove the lock for row A on top of the connector which corresponds to row B (A is the top row & B is the bottom row, the bottom row is on the flat side)
Crimp an 18 ga. wire to a terminal pin (p/n12089649) using a Packard Electric crimp tool (p/n 6285847) This tool is available from Pioneer-Standard Electronics @ 1-800-PACKARD
Insert the pin with the attached 18-ga. wire in cavity A6(the 6th hole from the right in the back, "wire side") Make sure the terminal pins lock into the connector, now reinstall the connector in the PCM
Attach the wire to a switch (user furnished) supplied with 12v with ignition on.
NOTE: this will provide 1075 RPM when switch is activated. The Fast idle should revert to base idle when the brake is pressed or if the selector is put into gear. Upon returning to park and releasing the brake, the fast idle will resume.

NOTE: Some trucks do not return to base idle uopn application of the brake. Be sure to verify this in a safe area.

'96 and up

Remove the glove box
Slide the PCM forward from its mounting behind the glove box. "I prefer to remove the PCM entirely"
Remove the center connector, by squeezing connector locks and pulling
Remove the lock on on top of the connector which corresponds to row B (Ais the top row & B is the bottom row, the bottom row is on the flat side)
Crimp one or two (depending on number of speeds desired) 18 ga. wire(s) to a terminal pin (p/n12089649) using a Packard Electric crimp tool (p/n 6285847) This tool is available from Pioneer-Standard Electronics @ 1-800-PACKARD
Insert the pin that will be connected to switch #1 with the attached 18-ga. wire in cavity B7 (the 7th hole from the right in the back, "wire side") Insert the pin that will be connected to switch #2 with the attached 18-ga. wire in cavity B8 ( the 8th hole from the right in the back "wire side") Make sure the terminal pins lock into the connector, now reinstall the connector in the PCM
Attach wire(s) to a switch (user furnished) connected to chassis ground

1070 RPM- ground pin B8
1360 RPM-ground pin B7
1600 RPM- short B7 and B8 together

Note:
The Fast idle will revert to base idle when the brake is pressed or if the selector is put into gear. Upon returning to park and releasing the brake, the fast idle will resume.

That should clarify a few things!

What I mean by 2 position is it has center as off, and the 2 on positions, up and down, either side of center. So in my case each on position has a wire going to the pcm, but the switch has only one ground wire and both on positions use the same ground. That way you only need one switch, 2 wires= 1 to b7, 1 to b8, and 1 ground wire. I like it. Clean and simple. Hope that helps.

Yes, it helps lots. Thanks!

"PCM pins for my 98 - 12089649
Mouser electronics #829-12089649 (I paid $0.18 ea. )
Mouser has all the delphi connectors and pin, you can search by GM / Delphi numbers"

Thanks for the info as mine has been waiting till I get the pins. the switch panel is in place and almost complete except for the lighting side of it. When that is done I'll post some pics of it.

Okay, Mike.. thanks! You're immortalized in the FAQs... sans pictures. They can be added to this thread when it's warmer, or when you or somebody else has time on their hands!

What rpm is your high idle? I was going to do it on my truck but didnt think it was worth it. On mine I can only get a high idle switch to run it at 1000prm.

What rpm is your high idle? I was going to do it on my truck but didnt think it was worth it. On mine I can only get a high idle switch to run it at 1000prm.

1070 RPM- ground pin B8
1360 RPM-ground pin B7
1600 RPM- short B7 and B8 together

I find myself using the 1070 mostly, 1360 when it gets really cold out, and we have had a lot of that lately. The truck warms up a lot faster than base idle. It may not seem like much, but it is a great improvement. Unfortunately, the obd11 trucks have 3 options, where as the obd1 only has one option.

Stay warm!
Mike

Exactly what I did with the 2 position swith, I usually only use the lowest setting unless i'm jumping another vehicle...

Not to mentino MUCH better for your engine to idle at those speeds than stock.

Exactly what I did with the 2 position swith, I usually only use the lowest setting unless i'm jumping another vehicle...

Not to mentino MUCH better for your engine to idle at those speeds than stock.

From what I read 1000rpm in the min for letting it idle for along time.

Back