• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High Idle Installed ..... Wow!

Got it done. Pretty easy, but a bit involved.

Thanks for all the info here guys. Problem now I have this extra mystery knob on my dash. I'm going to tell my buddies it's a self destruct switch.

Something tells me my mpg may be affected with this mod.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info here guys. Problem now I have this extra mystery knob on my dash. I'm going to tell my buddies it's a self destruct switch.

Check with your ScanTech, with mine on the idle mm3 doesn't change much from high to low. Leo

My MPG has gone down, because I let it Idle more. More run time with NO miles. But its worth it, with a nice warmer truck in the winter and a chilly cool truck in the summer. I find myself carrying two keys to lock the truck while it runs.

Check with your ScanTech, with mine on the idle mm3 doesn't change much from high to low. Leo

I would expect very little change unless you were actually adding some type of load while idling. Nice to see confirmation.

My MPG has gone down, because I let it Idle more. More run time with NO miles. But its worth it, with a nice warmer truck in the winter and a chilly cool truck in the summer. I find myself carrying two keys to lock the truck while it runs.

I can pull my keys out while its running, its called the wore out key mod. :D

:haha:
Sweet, we should add that to the sticky section!):h

Im not sure if there is a way to do it to a good set of keys but I think its awesome. I can pull the keys out anytime, its great because I have a locking fuel cap so I can keep the fuel key on the same key ring but leave the beast run.

Good job Gerald, how do you like it?

I wait until it's running smooth before I engage it, shouldn't take long if everything is right.

:smile5: I think it's super sweet.

Can't wait to actually use it...

One question though. Is it a good thing having the engine rev when it's cold out? Seems a bit aggressive.:confused:

My friend diesel mechanic said about 30 seconds of slow idle prior to engaging it. It all depends on how cold. The 1070 isn't that much faster than stock, so it probably wouldn't hurt anything, the 1300 setting is a little fast for a cold engine.

I wonder if there is a way to engauge the high idle using a spare button on a remote car starter as well as with a dash mounted toggle. Then you could start the truck, let it sit for a minute, and then engauge high idle without ever leaving the house. :)

Bill

I wonder if there is a way to engauge the high idle using a spare button on a remote car starter as well as with a dash mounted toggle. Then you could start the truck, let it sit for a minute, and then engauge high idle without ever leaving the house. :)

Bill

:confused:So how far away are you parking your truck???:confused:

In my driveway. It's just real cold here in the winters and I'm a big baby! lol Thunder Bay, Northwestern Ontario. :)

Bill

A timer would be easy to rig up, after it starts 1min later the timer would flip the switch. Then when you hop in you just flip it off.

From what I am reading the early ones (obdI) has only one high idle setting?
Getting ready to do mine and would like the option for a little higher than 1070 RPM's. Mainly for winch use or jump starting.

Getting ready to do mine and would like the option for a little higher than 1070 RPM's. Mainly for winch use or jump starting.

The obd1 used the same high idle you have now, all you do is put a switch to run power to the high idle solenoid. Mine is about 1000rpm, you flip the switch and hit the gas pedal and it stays at about 1000. You could get fancy and buy another solenoid to put on it and have another idle setting.

I think you'll be quite happy with just the 1070. Its a significant boost from the regular idle. The only time i ever use 1300 is when i jump start, but its not like I need to. Just because I went through the hassle of a 2 way switch, just to have it. Never need it. Never use it for warming up the truck.

Back