• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High Idle Installed ..... Wow!

I think you'll be quite happy with just the 1070. Its a significant boost from the regular idle. The only time i ever use 1300 is when i jump start, but its not like I need to. Just because I went through the hassle of a 2 way switch, just to have it. Never need it. Never use it for warming up the truck.

I'm the same as you Matt. I see no need to use the 1300 rpm to warm the truck up. The 1050 is all the truck needs.:smile5:

My mom seen your avatar Dieseldad97, she goes what are you looking at michael, why doesnt that girl gave any clothes on? :errr:

She's got clothes... she's just conserving fabric. Hadn't your Mom heard about the shortage?

When I get around to adding this to my trucks, I plan to tie it into the parking break circuit as well. I will probably use a time-delay relay in the process for remote starting idle.

I might even finally do this mod soon, as I have a parts truck here now I can steal PCM pins from! Well, that is if the pins are the same between 95 and 99 - otherwise I only get to do one :-(

if the truck is warmed up but left running for an extended period of time (1/2 hr or more), is it a good idea to flip the high idle on? If so, should it be 1070 or 1300? When I'm out getting firewood, on a jobsite, or taking a nap on a long road trip, I enjoy staying warm, so I'll leave my truck running. Is it safe to leave it running under 1000 rpm at any time?

1300 makes a little better heat that 1070.

For A/C, I didn't notice a difference for cooling.

I usually use 1300 or 1600 to take a nap, or keep the cab warm or Cool.

I heard the engine can carbon up if it idles for a long time under 1000 so I guess you just want to be over that.

I idle mine at full throttle.

Just kidding

I heard you get more complete lubrication of the engine due to increased pump volume at 1070 vs idle... Makes sense, I get another 20PSI...

Kennedy would likely reference kennedydiesel.com, Non vendor hot link disabledwho is one of the good 6.5 dealers. Most of the info can be found on this site in the technical library here.

Welcome to truck stop! Loads of info here to help you keep on truckin.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK quick question on 1998 if after you step on the brake it returns to normal idle ,do you need to turn off the switch at that time and then when you need it again just turn it back on... or do you just leave it on all the time?
I do a lot of short trip stop and gos and idle apx 10 min at each location...
Thanks Great info and Photos

Also what should a stock 6.5 idle at without the mod???
I am at 650-700rpm... IS this to low and if it is
What should I do to it before the mod to get it where it should be...

Thanks Guys

Ok i have a quick question. I got everything installed went to turn on the truck started went to 1krpms (Had the switch on not know) Turned it off. Now everytime it turn the key the fuse blows. Any idea why? Ive checked the ground and looked for any open wire and havent seen anything. Thanks for tha help

Are you trying to put power to that, or ground? You have an OBD-I, and the instructions are different...

Back