• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! too much smoke and fuel knock?

I was going to mention earlier that if you could find a 3/8" thick piece of aluminum you could make a cheap heat sink, that is how Bill Heaths are. Seeing you work in a machine shop just make sure it's flat so there is good thermal transfer. You need a thermal pad or Arctic Silver between the Heat sink and Pmd.

hahaha already made one NVW 10 mins on a CNC mill ;) good and flat too! ok so if i run a clear tube off the IP is it safe to keep that way? or will the fuel eat through it. and what do i do if there are bubles?

I think others have left the clear tubing in place. If there are bubbles you have to find the leak in the fuel line. Bubbles are usually pre LP. Post LP will usually show up as a wet spot, but can leak with engine off and give starting problems.

alright good to know. i really appreciate all this help you guys! im thinking with all my symptoms it has to be a faulty injector. now in the event of it being a bad injector would it be safe to replace it with one stock injector? or do these marine injectors make enough difference that it would not run right? i have a few old stock injectors for a 6.5 but not 8 of them. i also have several sets of 6.2 injectors frome several year ranges with god knows how many miles. hopefully ill just have the cash to buy all new but i dont want to have much down time with the truck. its too much fun to drive! :)

Personally I wouldn't mix marine injectors with a stock inj. The pop pressures are different as well as the nozzle orifice diameter. It would most likely run a little uneven. People who have set the pop pressures close to one another report a smoother running engine.
If you find the injector I would just have it repaired locally if possible.

hmm thats kind of what i figured. do you think the repair shop will be able to tell me what happened to the injector so that i can prevent it in the future?

One injector died a little early. They have around a 100K life before they need rebuilt anyway. I would do the job right and pull all 8 for a rebuild. If you are sure by testing that it is an injector.

The cab is cool with the AC on. So is the OEM IP location from the factory when the engine is running. Shut it off and that is when the problems, heat, start. The cab of the truck is a greenhouse and gets way hotter than the bumper on a summer day. This is why the cab is a bad oven idea for the PMD...

yeah i know the life span on injectors, but these now still only have 619 miles. they havent even made 1000... thanks for the advice on the PMD location i did not think about that.

- Year: ___94___
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) ____c3500_____
- Automatic or Standard ______auto____
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) ___220k total 600 on new engine______
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) _____everything______
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? ______F, no egr________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) __________
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) ____Regular diesel?_____
- What fuel additives are you using? ______none_____
- Where are you located? _____MI________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter ____new_____
- Fuel filter ____new_____
- CDR Valve? ____20k_____
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at ______new_______
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at _____new______
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at _______last year______
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): ______new________
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? ____600_____ What type? ______instant heat_______
- Injectors - last changed at _______600 miles________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? _______got it this way_______
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? _____yes________
- Has this problem ever happened before? __________no_____________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. _____injectors, white smoke, missfire_________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) __none__ And? ________

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? ____yes_____
1b] Does the engine crank over? ____yes____
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? ___yes______
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? ____yes____
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? ____normal_____
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? ____yes_____ For how long? ____normal_____
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? ____not sure____
1h] Does the Service Engine Light Glow during Start/bulb check? ___no_____

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? ____________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? _________
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ___________
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? _________
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? ___________

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) _____intake no heatsink______
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? ____new_____
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. ____new_____
3d] PMD Make: ______SYD_____
3e] PMD Age: ______new_______

4] Stalling Issues
4a] Do you experience stalling only when hot? ______no______
4b] Does it stall under particular circumstances? (ie hit bump, or on accel) ___no___
4c] Does pouring cool water over the IP seem to help with restarting? _________
4d] Is stalling momentary (engine recovers)? ____no_____
4e] Does SES light come on when engine hiccups? ____no_____
4f] Does cruise control quit working when engine hiccups? ______not sure_____
4g] Does re-starting seem to reset engine, restoring cruise and power? _________
4h] Changes to dash lights or instruments during stalling events? ___________

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? ___no____
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? ____no___
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? ______no____
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? ____yes_____
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? ____no______

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges (boost, EGT) ? _____yes______
6b] Maximum boost under load? ______18psi______
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? ______yes________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? _______yes_________
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum (OEM)? _______vacuum_______

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? ______dual______
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? ____600 miles_____
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? _____yes_______
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? ___no_____
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? __________
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? ___________

Figured this may help!

alright sorry on the long response time! but it turned out injectors 6 and 2 were doing nothing at all! they have been replaced and now the truck runs great. im having a problem with my TDCO timing though. i have an SES light code that pops up only after driving down the road. the tech 2 says its TDCO timing or something along those lines. but no matter what temp the engine is at it will blow white smoke like crazy off idle untill this code pops up. after that it instanly stops untill the truck is shut off and restarted. the timing is set at -2.02 and aside from the tech 2 relearn i have no idea which way to turn the pump to reset what i belive is the base timing.

Back