• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! too much smoke and fuel knock?

so if i take the harness that came with my relocation kit, chop it in half, and lengthen the wire it will be fine? does the pmd ground using the bolts that hold it down? its already moved off the IP. also will water be a problem for the PMD being mounted in the bumper? or should i mount it in the cab with a little fan cooling it some way?

You can just lengthen the wires. The PMD is grounded through the harness. After the PMD is mounted to the heat sink run a small bead of RTV around the base and put a dab on the screw holes.

do you have any pictures of it? i dont think mine has a head synce. or i could be possibly talking about something other than the PMD. its a little black box that was mounted to the IP.

easiest thing would be to buy a cable and heatsink from Leroy at PMDCable. does your pmd have a resistor in it?

That is the PMD, the lower right pic shows it with the heat sink (aluminum finned thing)

yes thats what i thought. ok so my PMD is sitting on a bracket which lays it flat right next to and level with the air intake. there is not a heat sink on it or near it. would it be ok to move in the cab or bumper without the heat sink?

You need the heat sink, they aren't that much money. Check Burning Oils" website."

well i do work in a machine shop, would there be an issue if i just made one? isnt it just a piece of aluminum with some fins on it to transfer the heat? also, to extend the four wires on my harness is not a big deal for me. i am great a wiring and electrical. from looking at everything i dont see a problem with me making my own, but i would like the opinions because i dont know everything and maybe i over looked something. otherwize i could get cracking and have that thing made by tonight!

well my PMD and resistor is only 595 miles old guys lol. i just dont see a reason to pay for all this new stuff. all i want to do is move it. and if a heat sink is just a block with fins ill make my own. if moving it further away only requires that i extend the wire harness that came with the relocation kit i can do that as well. the only reason i wouldnt buy his is because from what i can tell just by looking i could do it myself for free with what i have. please correct me if im wrong. im not trying to be a knowitall by anymeans or anything like that. its simply the lack of knowledge that i have for this motor that all the questions come from :)

in that case i would move the heatsink and pmd to bumper and just buy the cheap extension harness or make your own. just make sure everything is hooked up right

Its about as sensitive a signal as one can think of. There is no reason you can't make your own if you are perfect. However, any change in resistance, imperfections, or a slight intermittent connections may cause random stalling at any time and drive you nuts.

so are you saying that i still need to buy a heat sink, or that it is as simple as a block with fins? just out of curiosity, why the bumper and not in the cab? i understand that cool air is a natural thing in the bumper, but so is water. i can make air happen in the cab. just looking for ideas! sorry for all the questions!

for the harness my plans are as simple as cutting it in half, using the same size wire, soldering the wires together, and using glue filled heat shrink ( borrowed from GM ) lol

Back