• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help a Brother Out #2

If there was a kink in the line or a bad hose, It could let pressure through with brake pedal pressure but not release properly, but that should be visible. Front brake hoses in the salt belt will collapse under the bracket that secures them in the middle because the slt rusts the metal which expands and squeezes the hose. Rear brake hose doesn't have that bracket in the middle of the hose.

I couldn't find my grinder to cut the e-brake cable before I left for work.. however when I got to work I decided to feel that back drum to see if it was still hot which it is.. I also noticed it smells like burning motor oil like when you spill oil on the engine

Is that ground visible with the glove box out?
Yes. Many of the blower motors have a ground wire on a spade connector. Start there if yours has one and feel yo6r way back until you get to the connections to check them out.

I pull the spade connector and add another wire to it - i think about 6" long with a 5/16 eyelet. Take the dash mount bolt out and install the eyelet.

Has your blower motor been replaced? If not and the wiring is a little toasted, I would install a new blower motor.

Raybestos are good quality. Get the ones for dual rear wheels. Before you cut the brake cables you might check the cables where they join together into the bracket under the truck. See if one is loose or seems pulled out further from the outer part of the cable with the parking brake foot pedal released If both are tight it may be simply adjusted too tight

Ok I stopped on way home from work and bought 2 pieces of 3/16ths brake line (sae).
And at the advice of @Will L. I bought a line wrench..and a bottle of brake fluid also. I did not buy the rear brake hose or the wheel cylinders because all they have is duro last... I got two different lengths of brake line because I wasn't sure which length I would need.. which reminds me tdo both sides have to be the same length? I don't think they do but I figured I'd ask. I'm not sure if it's the wheel cylinder or the wheel seal that is leaking because it smells like burned motor oil back there around that drum. And I've never known brake fluid to smell that way but I could be wrong.
Now on to my next question.. I happen to notice that the brake fluid I bought says Dot 3 synthetic.. I know with engine oil you cannot mix synthetic with regular.. can you mix synthetic with regular brake fluid? Because I honestly do not know what is in it..

I may be wrong but dot 4 is basically dot 3 synthetic. I would think it should be fine as it says dot 3. Jut be sure to flush out all the old stuff.
What do when working on the brakes. To prevent the MC and ABS from getting air. While you have the system open like replacing lines or WC’s is jut keep the MC topped off as you work and let the open line drip into a cup or pan

your gonna need a tubing bender tool to shape the new steel line like the old one.

bending it by hand you can easily kink or collapse the tubing especially on sharper bends. do you have a Harbor Freight or one of those cheapy tool stores near you? you might also get away with using something round like an unopened beer to assist in bending the tubing. then bottoms up afterwards lol

Back