• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

H1 Hummer Cummins Swapped

Warwagon, the filter was not my choice, and yes, there are far better filters out there. When I pull down that motor the evidence will prove itself.

Sorry about the 'salt in your wounds'.

Nice pics Nate! I was the guy hanging around all weekend, so we probably chatted. :)
Maybe. I’m usually too awestruck with the toys there to actually talk to the people. Hearing someone just going , “bluh, bluh, bluh, cool.....uh......” I don’t figure is very stimulating conversation. :oops:

Not a problem Warwagon, we are all constantly learning and new things come out everyday.
Have you ever tried Outerwears pre-filters? They’re made in Schoolcraft, just south of Kalamazoo. I’ve gotten to know the owner through a fabric furniture project at work (funny how things happen). They will do custom work and their pre-filters are kind of the industry standard for a lot of racing circuits. I’m guessing it won’t keep the small stuff out that the K&N can’t, but it couldn’t hurt - especially since he likes playing in sand. They make a lot of things, not just air intake filters - I know they make covers for radiators for the dirt track guys and shock covers too...I’m not sure what else, but if you can think it up I’m sure they can make it. Is Silver Lake where he goes to play?

N8, yeah, he takes it to Silver Lake to play.
We've got the Outerwear's on the filter and BV. I'd like to get them on the shocks as well. Ha! Wrap the whole truck! What a mess to clean when he's done for a weekend.

Haven't found the pics of the drive shaft hoops we made, I'll try and remember to take pics this week.
The motor is .020 over with Mahle pistons, Hamilton cams head, Hamilton 188/220 cam, 88/66 Compound, Fire Ringed head, 14mm Studs top and bottom, Gorilla Girdle, JGS BV system, Farrel Diesel 13mm pump, .105 injector lines. The Fass pump was way better than the Raptor and we made rubber mounts to isolate it from vibration, something that anyone mounting pumps should do.
We installed Air Lockers and a MP2226 transfer case after he blew the originals up doing holeshots on pavement. The 4L80 is a manual reverse body with a billet input shaft and upgraded clutches and bands. It's held up to the abuse quite well. We settled on that after talking to Chad Hall at Rod Hall racing, they've been using them in their dessert racing H1 since 1996.
The Trans adapter is Destroked with the Ford starter, and we have started making our own plates.
Full boost is around 85psi depending on Baro it may be higher or lower actual and the plumbing has evolved to solve issues blowing sleeves.

Using a Yank T/C, haven't broke one yet.
Working on new timing gear covers over at our machine shop now and planning a waterman for his motor upgrade.
We haven't had problems with the FASS unit yet, but in talking with them they recommended deleting the supplied plug and soldering the wire connections. Apparently they've had issues with the smallish pins.

Disclaimer
I can't say that everything we did is right, we find things to tweak all the time. Periodically things break and we make it better. This vehicle is as "Street Legal" as any dual purpose Hot Rod and may or not meet emission standards set forth for the time period that the original Chassis and Motor were manufactured.
Anything duplicated from these pictures is done so at the risk of the person making or modifying the parts and those persons/entities assume all responsibility for the work that they do.

The 4L80 is a manual reverse body with a billet input shaft and upgraded clutches and bands. It's held up to the abuse quite well. We settled on that after talking to Chad Hall at Rod Hall racing, they've been using them in their dessert racing H1 since 1996.

Good to hear the 4L80 is holding up so well. I’m only making 600ft-lbs at the wheels and I worry about my trans holding up when the converter locks up. What brand did you use for the input shaft and clutches?

CK for the shaft and Alto Red Eagle.
Aside from taking it to the drag strip last year he stays away from the hole shots on pavement, so that helps.

Should probably add that the fellow building the trans used to do them for a few of the Pro 2 and 4 trucks that run here in the Midwestern area, so whatever else he did is unknown to me.

Should probably add that the fellow building the trans used to do them for a few of the Pro 2 and 4 trucks that run here in the Midwestern area, so whatever else he did is unknown to me.
Ok cool, thanks for the info

I rebuild/build/design but I don't like doing trans work, I feel slimy for days afterward. Ha! On the other hand, I'm working on mods for the 242AMG to add the 2 WD like a Selec-Trac, so I never fully get away from that stuff.

Back