• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Grey/Blue smoke at idle?

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
What does it all mean, balance rates are good. Someone told me I might be losing my turbo.....:sad:

Clean your ERG with an electronics spray cleaner. That fixed my problem.

I don't have a ERG on my truck, Nor a EGR.....truck runs pretty good, no idle issues, good mpg, no power loss, no hard starting, just a strong diesel smell and blueish/grey smoke at idle

I don't have a ERG on my truck, Nor a EGR.....truck runs pretty good, no idle issues, good mpg, no power loss, no hard starting, just a strong diesel smell and blueish/grey smoke at idle

Sorry - I wrote ERG instead of EGR but I didn't mean that either. I meant to say clean the MAF sensor in the airbox (I hadn't had my late afternoon cup of coffee yet). That fixed the problem for me. Good luck!

Try loading your stock tune back in first and see if it still does it. If it clears it up, you can go back and adjust your fuel delivery below 800 RPMs.

Try loading your stock tune back in first and see if it still does it. If it clears it up, you can go back and adjust your fuel delivery below 800 RPMs.

I forgot to mention that I have been running my stock tune for a few months now....well except for the speedometer change.
I will clean the MAF sensor, with some luck that will cure the problem

I tried cleaning the MAF and that worked for a few days, I am back to smoking again. I could never get rid of the diesel smell tho....

right now it isn't smoking at idle, I am wondering if this isn't temp sensative. I checked the balance rates again and they are pretty good. Nothing to complain about.

Could just be the quality of fuel. Are you just buying fuel at one location?
Does it do it smoke all of the time or for instance only at cold start up and or only at full operating temperature?
Do you run any sort of a additive or fuel conditioner?

I buy from mostly Flying J's and use Lucas diesel injectors stuff. Maybe i will lay off the Lucas for a couple of tanks and see what happens....

This truck is laying out the black smoke when I get on the throttle, I passed a caddie and couldn't see it for long because of the smoke, it seems to get into passing gear way too soon.....mileage has dropped to about 19 mpg too....runs good if you are nice, smokes really bad when you romp on it. Still have the blue smoke at idle....all turbo hoses seem tight and balance rates check out pretty good.....wished I knew what was wrong. Dealer told me it was time for injectors......don't agree with that with the balance rates I am showing

My balance rates are still within spec on mine, but I get ALOT of blue smoke just off idle. Problem started when I put in my injectors, plan on putting in a set of BOSCH ones to clear it up.

Balance rates good.

What about fuel and rail pressure?

Loosing any coolant?

What tuning are you running?

Switch fuel brands. Change filters. I use Diesel Kleen white bottle year round. Opti Lube is a great additive also as is Stanadyne.

Sounds like a bad injector/s to me though. Need more tests to determine.

My balance rates are still within spec on mine, but I get ALOT of blue smoke just off idle. Problem started when I put in my injectors, plan on putting in a set of BOSCH ones to clear it up.
when Idling at a intersection.....greyish/white smoke at idle, take off and blue smoke. Climbs hills without going into passing gear and idles pretty good. Balance rates are good. Fuel rail pressure not sure. maybe I will check it next....but I am sure it is the injectors. Looks like all I will get is 150k out of a set. :mad2:

I hate to tell you this but your injectors are leaking. I have been down this very path to many times. Replace them is the only fix.

when Idling at a intersection.....greyish/white smoke at idle, take off and blue smoke. Climbs hills without going into passing gear and idles pretty good. Balance rates are good. Fuel rail pressure not sure. maybe I will check it next....but I am sure it is the injectors. Looks like all I will get is 150k out of a set. :mad2:

You described all of my problems with my PENSACOLA remans. It just developed the puffs of grey smoke at idle the other day when I was doing the A/C. My GM ones should hopefully be in FRIDAY.

Back