• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gonna build a race truck

My thoughts:

different truck. like said above, K2500HD isnt light. keep the beloved 5speed truck stock-ish for reliable towing. I vote find a C1500 shortbed/ reg cab with a v-8 and automatic, and stuff a 6.5L 4L80E in it.

and this one will blow some minds: wouldnt an auto be better? yes, I asked if an auto would be a better choice! :) I would think for drag racing the auto would do better, especially for loading up a big turbo setup to get it to spool.

If your gonna do that, why not go all the way and get a S10? It'll have a better p/w ratio than any full size truck...

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

yeah i was thinking about an s-10 seeing as they can cram a 350 in them with some shoe horning it should fit

I can almost guarantee it will, it will fit in a ranger, and I've seen pics of a d-max in a s-10..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

IIRC I dont think so..

Edit

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35931

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

i would like to be atleast in the 11s
I know you don't want to hear it, but a 6.5 is most likely not going to get you there. Even in a stripped down S10 tube chassis at 2000 pounds(if you could get one that skinny) you would be hard pressed to get there with a 6.5. This 6.5 is a STOUT db2 truck running close to 30 pounds of boost and ALOT of other mods, and he is still only running mid 14's to high 13's.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dY00EOYVP0

To run in the 11's, he'd need in the neighborhood of 800-900rwhp out of his 6.5 depending on the chassis and weight of the vehicle. I don't see that as doable, even with a large stack of cash and multiple corporate sponsors. Just a reality check. To dream is one thing, but hallucinating is a whole other.

Don't be discouraged. Keep in mind I think it was Hypermax did build I think a 700-800hp 7.3L IDI back in the day. I got the pictures of it. So it is definitely doable. That was then. With all the leaps and bounds in diesel performance market today, think what could be done now

You forget one little thing that I have reminded people of early on - the 6.2/6.5 is a LIGHT duty diesel. The block and bottom end are not designed to handle the kind of power required. The 6.9/7.3 Navistar IDI is a MEDIUM duty diesel, the bottom end and block were designed MUCH stouter, as that engine was originally designed to be used in Class 4, 5, 6 vehicles, and was shoehorned into Ford pickups, just like the Cummins ISB 5.9 MEDIUM duty diesel was into Dodge pickups. BTW, I believe that Hypermax did it with the Direct Injected 7.3 Powerstroke HEUI, not the Stanadyne-pumped 7.3 IDI.

So, buy a brand new P400 long block. Modify it to run at 16:1 compression. ARP stud everything in the motor. Build a drive system to mount either dual Stanadyne rotary pumps, or a highly modified Bosch 8-cylinder P7100. Highly modify the injectors to handle triple the fuel flow of stock and will pop at 3200-3600 psi. Design a compound turbo system to run at 80-100 psi to deliver enough air for the amount of fuel you will need. Design and modify a set of precups that will work under those cylinder pressures and injector flows. Add a multi-stage nitrous and water-meth injection system. Find a transmission to back it and is built to handle that kind of projected horsepower (lots of luck, try a drag racing Powerglide).

Now what do you have? $25,000 to $40,000 in an engine and another $3,000-$5,000 in a tranny that someone with an LBZ Duramax, a good after market intake and exhaust, a set of 150% injectors with a dual CP3 set up, a good custom EFILive tune and an upgraded SunCoast Allison transmission and less than $6,000 total invested will blow off into the weeds pass after pass because they're running 800+ HP at the crank with that set up with a block and bottom end and transmission from the factory that's designed to handle it.

But hey, like they say, with enough money anything's possible! Dream on with your 11 second 6.5 drag truck and bring a large check book.

I see no reason why the 6.5L couldn't be made the handle that kind of power. And it was a 7.3L IDI. If I go back far enough I think I may even have some emails left over from when I talked to them about it. And I am sure if he wanted a Duramax, he would have just bought a Duramax. I re-state my point earlier in the thread that I think the OP wanted to keep the 6.5L. Not go to a Duramax.

Here is some of the information I dug up on the 7.3L IDI.

Think idi can't make big horsepower? Back in the early 1990s, max Lagod of Hypermax put together an extraordinary engine package for a customer yearning to compete in sled pulling. With nothing holding him back, Lagod designed a 7.3L that included two Garrett turbos (which were state-of-the-art then but probably not manufactured anymore), a Bosch inline P-pump, custom injectors, a fabricated intake and exhaust manifolds, and slight cylinder head work.

Surprisingly, much of the factory engine components were retained, such as the crankshaft, block, and pistons-although the connecting rods were heat-treated. Compression on the engine was 15:1, which called for ether-assisted startups. Soon after entering this wild IDI into area-sanctioned sled pulling events, the engine was banned. Not to be discouraged, the owner turned to drag racing. Rumor has it that the truck graced with this 7.3L beast put out 1,200 hp and ran quarter-mile times in the 9-second range!

That was taken directly from Diesel Power Mag. I think it can definately be done. On a budget, no. It would require an outrageous amount of money and a fabricator who knows his shit.

1200HPIDI.jpg

Again, they started with a MEDIUM duty diesel, the 7.3. Ditched the Stanadyne for a Bosch P7100, two turbos, radical injectors, sounds like what I outlined above, but THE 6.5 BLOCK WON'T TAKE IT, no matter how much wishful thinking or magic fairy dust. The 6.2/6.5 was designed as a LIGHT duty diesel, and for maximum fuel economy in light duty vehicles (pickups and blazers), not extreme stress running in medium/heavy duty use. C'mon, you're going to diesel school, aren't you? You should know the differences in light vs. medium vs. heavy duty diesel design and capabilities. Best bet would be to use a P400 block. From there, all bets are off. Bring piles of cash and plenty of Kleenex when it goes boom.

actualy i am going for a bachelors in environmental science. I enjoy working on my truck too much to do it for a job. I dont want to resent doing it.

I say put it in a rear engine dragster, get the biggest pump unique diesel has, lose the turbo and throw massive amounts of nitrous at it. It will be expensive and may only make it 60 feet but could possibly be the best 60' time ever for a 6.5.

Back