• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going mechanical with a Moose Omega Marine IP

I finally scanned the dyno graphs to pdf's if anybody wants a better look at them.

Attachments

• Run 1 Graph.pdf
    322.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Run 2 Graph.pdf
    315.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Run 3 Graph.pdf
    318.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Run 4 Graph.pdf
    319.4 KB · Views: 4
I just went to Force during my lunch. I took my Ferret adapter to see if the dyno could read an RPM signal from that. It can! So we're going to shoot for another dyno session Friday the 10th. With a true RPM signal, this should be a better baseline for me to use for future testing.

Did you ask about running it in load cell or stay the same..
No, I didn't. He was doing a favor just letting me sneak in so we could see if it would work. When I'm there to do the actual runs I'll talk to him about it and see if that's something he would be interested in doing or has the capability to do.

Well this was exciting.....I was getting on the highway tonight on the way home. I wanted to do a long pull and watch my EGTs to see what they do now that I have the aFe filter installed. I was pulling good and EGTs were coming up much slower than before. I was just about to hit 1000* and probably doing about 80 when POP!!!! I thought I had blown the trans at first because the engine was still running but my acceleration was gone. Then I gave it some gas again and nope, it was driving ok. So I checked gauges and sure enough, zero boost. That would explain the smoke cloud I had made! So I babied it the rest of the way home. Surprisingly I was able to easily drive around town and not leave a smokey mess behind me.....that totally surprised me. Of course now I'm just realizing that without any boost the Puff Limiter would be holding the pump back all the time....nice. So anyway, I got home and saw this:
IMG_7517.JPG

I guess I didn't tighten the clamp well enough last time I had it apart! Plus last time I had it apart I made a huge coolant mess everwhere so I suppose it was a little slippery in there. Luckily it's an easy fix and not a blown hose, intercooler or worse!!

Well this was exciting.....I was getting on the highway tonight on the way home. I wanted to do a long pull and watch my EGTs to see what they do now that I have the aFe filter installed. I was pulling good and EGTs were coming up much slower than before. I was just about to hit 1000* and probably doing about 80 when POP!!!! I thought I had blown the trans at first because the engine was still running but my acceleration was gone. Then I gave it some gas again and nope, it was driving ok. So I checked gauges and sure enough, zero boost. That would explain the smoke cloud I had made! So I babied it the rest of the way home. Surprisingly I was able to easily drive around town and not leave a smokey mess behind me.....that totally surprised me. Of course now I'm just realizing that without any boost the Puff Limiter would be holding the pump back all the time....nice. So anyway, I got home and saw this:
View attachment 49283

I guess I didn't tighten the clamp well enough last time I had it apart! Plus last time I had it apart I made a huge coolant mess everwhere so I suppose it was a little slippery in there. Luckily it's an easy fix and not a blown hose, intercooler or worse!!
There is a tool to make a lip on that intake so the clamp will hold hose on better.

Looks like I have another tool to buy!! For right now I'm just going to wipe the inside of the hose and the outside of the tube off really well with brake parts cleaner and all should be well. This is the first time I had any trouble with a connection.

In more important news, I'm really excited that my EGTs are lower than they were before, just from that aFe filter swap. So far it has been a great purchase.

If there is any hair spray in the house from the wife (or you- who knows?;)). After cleaning it pray a light coat on there. It helps it slip on easier and gets tacky when dry. Old bicycle handle grips trick- 1980's big hair days were good for more than just music! AquaNet works really well...and has a distinctive taste in the morning

If there is any hair spray in the house from the wife (or you- who knows?;)). After cleaning it pray a light coat on there. It helps it slip on easier and gets tacky when dry. Old bicycle handle grips trick- 1980's big hair days were good for more than just music! AquaNet works really well...and has a distinctive taste in the morning
Good thinking! Works on motorcycle grips, too. So what if I do have some hairspray Will......you know what they say: "the higher the hair, the closer to God"! :p

View attachment 49283

It's more fun to blow an induction hose off the turbo at full power, esp. with the rep these engines have, during a dyno day with lots of people standing around. The proper term, suddenly: running around! :D I thought from the sound of it I blew the radiator cap off. It was at 24 PSI with the HX40II and did leave a large soot ring on the ground from the exhaust downturn.

Regardless it will need more TLC than just being put back on or it will annoyingly happen again...

In preparation for the next dyno trip I made a new elbow assembly for the exhaust vent hose. This should be more durable than just the flex tube at the bend. IMG_7542.JPGIMG_7543.JPG

I think I'd have considered hard pipe. You can get 30 ga in 5&10' lengths.
Yeah that would definitely be more durable. When I was coming up with my plan I was looking for something readily available and something I could throw in the back of the Tahoe. Like last time I went, I had 2 people with me, so I needed the back seat to be folded up. So that only left me with the little bit of space behind the seat for carrying something. I'll see how this holds up. If it fails again then I guess I need to invest in real exhaust vent hose...which wouldn't really be a terrible investment since I could use it in the barn at home to exhaust the gases if I need to run the engine with doors closed.

Aluminum flexible dryer vent duct should work just fine, Nate. After all, it carries away the heat and exhaust from gas dryers with no problem and I bet that is just as hot or hotter than your exhaust out the tail pipe is.

Aluminum flexible dryer vent duct should work just fine, Nate. After all, it carries away the heat and exhaust from gas dryers with no problem and I bet that is just as hot or hotter than your exhaust out the tail pipe is.

Should be fine. Use pot holders after any runs if you need to move it.

If my dryer hit 1550 degrees F my EGT's get to now and then I am sure the Fire Department would be involved...

I'm not worried about it being durable enough in regards to the temperature, I'm mostly concerned with it coming apart at the crimped seams from the force of the exhaust flowing through it....or just from excessive handling. If it comes apart, it's not a big deal because the operator wasn't so concerned about it, but I'd still rather get the exhaust outside for him rather than lingering in the cell. At least if it comes apart this time the semi-rigid elbow shoot shoot the exhaust towards the door rather than the wall.

Your exhaust coming out of it is no more powerful than my drier. Besides, that's what your high-speed aluminum duct tape is for, anyway!

Your exhaust coming out of it is no more powerful than my drier. Besides, that's what your high-speed aluminum duct tape is for, anyway!
Oh dang!! Did you just compare my truck to your drier?? You better have one badass drier, dude!! :p

Back