• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 3.6 VVT

The only thing I like RA for recently is that I can use them as leverage to get nearly the same unit price on identical mfr part #s carried by my nearby O'Reilly's - like Wix filters or NGK double platinum sparkplugs or Wagner brake parts - WITHOUT the ridiculous shipping charges or 3-5 day wait for shipping AND the ability for instant resolution if something goes wrong!

I figured I would share this on here. I have two head jobs going on at home. One on a 2.4 chevy that jumped time due to a broken guide and bent valves. Another on a 2.4 Mitsubishi that broke a spring and dropped a valve. Luckily it got bent into the guide and did no damage to the piston. Anyway I dropped them both off at the machine shop on Monday and had a good conversation with the owner about aftermarket parts. He told me to avoid aftermarket timing chain components because they are seeing a large amount of failures from them. Same goes for lifters. He said not a single camshaft or lifter company has a warranty anymore. He is seeing issues with all years of engines when it comes to cams and lifters. Made me think of this thread so I figured I'd share.

So two steps forward one step back. Got looking at the paperwork, which I didn't in the first set, and discovered thisIMG_20221219_171821.jpg
After texting with rockabilly about it we determined I need those special washers. So now I get to see if the local dealer has them and then pull the chains back off to put them on.

So my local dealer only had 2 so they told me that they would have the others in a couple of days. Then later today they called and said one of the dealers in Anchorage had some so he had all 4 waiting for pickup.IMG_20221220_195124.jpgIMG_20221220_195131.jpg
The thrust washers seem strange to me. They appear to be a semi brittle fibery plasticky type material. Not at all what I would have thought a thrust washer would be like.
Starting a job tomorrow so progress will likely be sporadic.

So I had a change in plans, they weren't as ready as they thought they were, I'm back at it.
Before disassembly I decided to check the gap where these fit and as far as I'm concerned the washers are too thick. I took a mallet and a small pry bar and moved the cam as far as I could, which wasn't alot, and the washers wouldn't even come close to sliding in the gap. The cam has a ring that fits in a groove in the cam cap. I had Chris coat the caps and I'm thinking it took up some of the clearance so I'm just leaving them out. Besides that it ran for 150k before without issues.

So I finally got back at this, Had a pretty late night Had to take mom to the hospital. She had a stroke.
But back to the car still won't start,checked spark that's good, checked compression and low compression. 70 psi
put that cylinder at TDC and put air in it and no air out the intake or exhaust but a fair amount out the crankcase. Talked to Rockabilly about it and he rechecked my photos of my timing marks and he thinks it looks good. So I'm back in the head scratching mode. Probably won't have much time to work on it for awhile

Back