• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 3.6 VVT

So something has been going on with this and my initial thought was I had messed up the timing but the more I thought about it the less I thought I did. Did a bunch of reading and watching vids etc. Rockabilly has been extremely helpful. He sent me thisScreenshot (10).png
so I did this test and came up with about a 10* variation from what the scanner showed. So it looks like I'll be pulling the engine again to check this and the chain timing again.

Oh, for the days of a 283 SB Chevy and grabbing the timing light and just having to gap the points and set the dwell!
Last time I looked, I still had a dwell meter in the shed.
I may have given it away. Not something I keep track of.
Doubt it would sell at an estate auction.

Can't remember the last time I used it. Probably before 1983.

One of the guys here at my work thought he had gout for years and always walked with a limp. it was so bad that if he accidently tapped his foot from the side on something it would cause excruciating pain for a moment. he recently went to see a doctor about it which he was sent in for x-rays. he found out that he had a fracture that has been like that all along. needless to say he's been out for several weeks on medical leave because they apparently had to go in and do surgery to ether break the bone in that area for it to heal or something.

I was at aw hearing that he had been walking around with a broken foot all these years I've worked with him.

So I thought I'd update this. So I pulled the engine down to a long block, pretty much had to to check the reluctor on the crankshaft. Turns out it was fine. I still don't understand why the timing light showed so much difference. So I put the oil pan back on and remounted it on the transmission and subframe. My thought process doing this was maybe turning it a little backwards made the chain shift.
Finally got around to redoing the chains, when I did the stage one chains everything lined up slightly better than it ever had, the flats on the cams were never perfect but pretty darn close. This time it seemed perfect. Went to the stage two position and put that chain on and the flats didn't line up very good, worse than I remembered for sure. So I moved the chain one tooth off on the idler pulley and the flats lined up pretty good, not perfect but much better then it was. Only thing I can figure is something on the chain or idler is mismarked.
Still trying to decide if I want to try and run it this way or not.

Back