• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gas in diesel

I'd heard about that too- adding gas to diesel back in the day for winter conditions. Hence my original thinking that perhaps the Ford fellow was ok. I've actually made "poor man's biodiesel" for years by mixing 4 parts waste fryer oil to 1 part high octane ethanol free gasoline. Not enough oomph for towing, but runs fine in my 6.5, 2003 ALH TDI and kubota tractor when brush hogging in the summer.

I've only heard awful things about the CP4- why is it still used in new vehicles?!

Ford is the only one left running it of the big 3 in a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. GM went to Denso hp4 injection after all the cp4 failures. Even after Bosch switched to the symetrical cam cp4, Cummins talked FCA into dropping the CP4, and going back to a CP3 with talk of retrofitting 19-20 models from a CP4 back to the CP3 when the CP4 fails. There is talk as well of them going to Denso HP4 injection for 22 or 23 because of the CP4 failures. So far Ford is the only holdout of the big 3, but a CP4 is still the best option for a V8 to run sustained injection pressures in the sub 40,000 psi range.

The CP4 is 2 pistons that get actuated 2 times per CP4 revolution. The pump is timed when installed which allows it to pump fuel when the injector is open so that the CP4 pump output pulses match the injector firing. This allows for it to run the highest possible pressures since you cannot get a CP3 to get it's output pulses yo match up yo the injectors firing on a V8 since the CP3 is 3 cylinders that pump once per CP3 revolution. But the CP3 DOES match up to the 6 cylinder Cummins perfectly.

When the only way possible to meet emissions is to run enough fuel pressure to cut steel plate if you used the correct nozzle, they will do whatever is necessary to do it, and the CP4 is the best option from Bosch to run 36,000-39,000 psi of fuel pressure. Last I heard was to expect 48,000-52,000 psi of fuel system pressure in the near future.

No kidding. A 2.2L, in-line 5 cyl IDI with all mechanical injection system by Bosch. My comment was meant to show the difference in tolerance between old and state of the art injection systems as to what they can inject, and yes, there was ethanol available in gasoline back then, although I owned it (got it from my grandfather) 90-92.
LOL. I would never have considered 1991- 1992 back then.

Back