• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gas in diesel

jcsat1

Reaction score
This morning running late. Went gas station get diesel grab wrong one. I had 1/4 tank put gas in it about 5gals stop it rite before half tank. Filled rest way up with diesel. 2019 6.7L F250. Went to airport about 45 miles on it no probs. Should I be worries whem i fly back home??

If you top the rest off with diesel, you should be fine. If super worried drain the tank if you have a portable 12v fuel transfer pump.

I'm no expert, and I don't know where you are, but the reason for my belief that you may be ok is this- in colder climates, the "winter blend" of diesel fuel is 70% diesel and 30% kerosene. Kerosene is more similar to gasoline (from my understanding) than diesel in terms of volatility and whatnot. So you thinning out diesel with some gasoline is not all that different from the winter blends in some parts of the country.

Again there's experts on the ins and outs of petroleum such as @Will L. who can probably give more sound advice. Just my .02 :)

If unsure, it needs drained and replaced with diesel. The his is always the safest way to go.

That said...
Some details need to be found out.
is it a winter blend diesel to start with?

I don’t follow your math. How many gallons of diesel? How many gallons of gas?
What octane gas? What percentage of ethanol/ methanol is in both the gas and diesel?
With this info, I might be able to say it would be safe regardless of the next question, but if not then this applies:

now the hard one. Different engines tolerate different fuels. An old for 6.9 idi could take rou60/40 mix and would just run like crap if it is in good condition. I don’t know your engine enough to say what is safe. Calling a dealership and asking where ford sets the limit—-not your dealership and don’t use your name or truck info as that could void your warranty. So this one I can’t answer.

Don’t feel to bad. Working at the fuel companies there is a saying: 2 types of people-There are those who have filled up with wrong fuel, and those who will do it.

The CP4 is already on barrowed time because it was a horrible design from the factory. Add gasoline to the mix and your asking for issues. I've had a few customers make this mistake over the years. Most did pump or injector damage. id drain the tank and do filters. If you see glitter in the fuel filters then the cp4 is already damaged. A complete fuel system for those trucks isn't too expensive.

Oh crud! That one runs the cp4 also?!
your done. Forget any amount of gas- Rockabilly is on point.
Drain it All. New fuel and if the EPA would allow it I would add 1/4 oz atf per gallon of diesel except that would cause pollution, so we can’t do that because it could kill a polar bear/seal/ or even a tree. Maybe there is another good lubricant that makes flowers grow?

Leave it in a bad neighborhood for a week instead of driving 2 miles out and let insurance deal with it if they steal it. Hope you haven’t driven it yet.

This morning running late. Went gas station get diesel grab wrong one. I had 1/4 tank put gas in it about 5gals stop it rite before half tank. Filled rest way up with diesel. 2019 6.7L F250. Went to airport about 45 miles on it no probs. Should I be worries whem i fly back home??

:facepalm: You should have simply stopped and had it towed to drain the "contaminated" fuel tank, PERIOD. This continuing on like it was a life or death emergency where engine/vehicle = expendable cost you the minimum of your insurance deductible or worse an entire fuel system from the CP4 going Glitter Bomb BOOM!

Maybe with draining the tank and changing the filters it might run long enough to sell it. You are planning on towing it from the airport not driving it right? Hell it might not even start at the airport.

Even FCA Cummins (RAM) got their nose broke from warranty expense trying the beancounter CP4 and thus shitcanned it after 2 model years as 2021 is back to a CP3 design.

Your done, plain and simple. The cp4 will grenade at some point. It may take 10k miles, but it will go, and most likely take your injectors with it. I believe Bosch found even so much as a quart of gas added to 30 gallons will wipe a cp4 out. This is not the olden days of idi's running 2200 psi injection, cp4's run 30,000+ psi injection. And you can be pretty well assured Ford will not cover it under warranty as they know what gas contamination does to them. Your best option is to have it towed to a shop and file with your insurance company BEFORE it grenades, and takes the rest of your fuel system with it. Several have made this mistake and it can cost 10-12 grand to fix it if you let it go until the cp4 lets go.

Okay, now I’ll need to do some Bing searching. My son had bought a brand new Dodge wit a Cummins. I dont remember if it is a 2019 or a 2020 year model. Might be a good idea for him to check out installing one of these kits.
This is one we are looking at.

Slow delivery, but touted as being a good kit. Sad to say the Ford hasn't been at the top of our list for upgrades. Needs DPK, larger fuel tank and water seperator/prefilter

Just clicked on his icon- dude checked in 15 minutes after making this post and never came back.
Thinking @jcsat1 will never return.

May be still out of the country in the jungle or in a tropical paradise with no internet.......... 😱

Well maybe not, but just my guess, because he said something about getting on a plane, just assuming he flew away somewhere?

@jcsat1 None of us wish to be "harsh" as many of us are "bad examples" having no one to blame but ourselves for some major foul ups. However bad news that you still may be able to quickly correct by draining fuel and replacing the CP4 ... If it hasn't started to contaminate the fuel system from "loss of lube" already.

Okay, now I’ll need to do some Bing searching. My son had bought a brand new Dodge wit a Cummins. I dont remember if it is a 2019 or a 2020 year model. Might be a good idea for him to check out installing one of these kits.

Maybe he got a 2021 and is lucky. Otherwise ask what the warranty is worth on a 2019 or 2020. Parts, :vomit: reman injectors of course :vomit: , appear to take lemon law lengths of time to arrive with CP4 failures at 7000 miles. Maybe it's cheaper to trade it on a 2021 as resale is unusually high now: still a loss, but...

I looked close at a 2020 and had a no-tune CP3 "void warranty" conversion plan:

It's funny, because in my '82 Audi 5000 TD's Owner's Manual it even said in the Fuel Section, that if Winter Blend or #1 Diesel wasn't available in cold weather (<32° continual) that it was acceptable to use 1 gallon of gasoline to 20 gallons of #2 Diesel to "thin" it for winter use.

It's funny, because in my '82 Audi 5000 TD's Owner's Manual it even said in the Fuel Section, that if Winter Blend or #1 Diesel wasn't available in cold weather (<32° continual) that it was acceptable to use 1 gallon of gasoline to 20 gallons of #2 Diesel to "thin" it for winter use.

Old school diesel. And no alcohols in either fuel back then.

No kidding. A 2.2L, in-line 5 cyl IDI with all mechanical injection system by Bosch. My comment was meant to show the difference in tolerance between old and state of the art injection systems as to what they can inject, and yes, there was ethanol available in gasoline back then, although I owned it (got it from my grandfather) 90-92.

Back