• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel System redone

The non turbo hmmwv and civilian up to 1995 intake tube is a really good option for doi t that. Bolts right to the intake, there is a gasket to keep it perfectly tight- points over top of cylinder 4. Made of plastic so it doesn’t allow engine heat to transfer through like metal does. Has a 4” hose attachment point.

776B8FC7-43A4-4856-AB07-26BD37FFE4B5.png8E408580-B1C4-4FF3-A7BF-14E52C4B4C96.png

It will point left or right.
I know it will point either way because of the bolt pattern, but it was designed to be used with a CAC that had its cold air pipe coming up the driver's side of the engine and then a 90° into the Peninsular intake adapter. The way it was mounted on @Paveltolz's engine meant using that tight, double 90° bend run from the turbo outlet to the adapter that really disrupts any semblance of smooth, low resistance airflow from the turbo into the intake. Might as well have used the stock upper intake for the turbo to lower intake connection with its smoother radius and just carefully relieved the transisition throat where it flattens out from the round tube to the lower intake cover to improve flow.

Yeah, pretty sure a couple of short 90's aren't interrupting a thing. I get what ya'll are saying but, with all the bends and twists in an intercooler... color me unconvinced.

In the meantime, engine went in the truck yesterday and got lit off this evening. Sounds like a happy rattly ol' diesel should. Timing gets done tomorrow. Hood gets replaced and correct front tires go back on (had to use OEM sizes to get it loaded on the trailer) then test drives begin.
Short Vid

What did you use on the firewall? It looks smooth. The other stuff I've seen used appears more "quilted" looking.
I think it was called RaamMatt. It’s a type of dynamate that was produced near Ogden by RaamAudio. The guy is no longer in the business and his site is down. Good stuff.
The hood is lined with it as well. Need to spray it all with Rubber Undercoating but, hard to do with the motor in there. So, I’ll embrace my inner Lunar Lander theme instead.

Yeah, so no undercoating in the engine compartment.

Report from the field:
“Took the truck out for a little stroll. Runs swell. Gorgeous [Northern Washington] day, back roads and a sweet 6.5. Hard to beat.”

Now I’m the one that’s green…very green. I’d be on a plane and hitching rides tomorrow but, I‘ve promised to allow him time to ‘shake it down’ as he wants to ensure I’m getting it back ‘right.’
Prudent as there’s also been a change in cams thus necessitating re-programming. Plus, he doesn’t have an ODBII truck to test tunes on anymore and he’s still doing them for Diesel Site/Heath Diesel. So, Sparky’ll be serving as a lab rat too. Now that it will accept new tunes again instead of just rolling over on the roof, writhing and choking like a kid refusing to eat spinach.

That said, I got a theory building, just trying to figure out how to word it, on why it just up and died with a new IP.

Ever since May 2020 I’ve been trying to reconcile why a motor that was ‘running ‘with the old IP that wouldn’t accept time set commands or TDC Offset adjustments and a “good” PCM tune (albeit with hard starting, a lot of initial grey smoke and initial stumbling issues until warmed up) would suddenly roll over on its back with a new IP after accepting the timing set command.

To refresh, With the new IP the engine was literally jump around in the bay, emitting great clouds of grey acrid smoke that would not clear up with a warm engine, codes a plenty and these ‘new symptoms’ persisted despite swapping in three additional IPs and multiple tunes. Even when I got the timing set to the factory 3.5 degrees and TDC Offset at -1.97 the truck was constantly writhing on its back in death throes…a smoking hole in the garage…it made no sense to me.

Right, wrong or indifferent, my theory is that the old IP and the PCM had maintained an uneasy truce with the degrading conditions of the motor. A sort of harmony allowing them to keep up with the engine as it slowly descended into madness over several years. However, the PCM’s programing and an internally compromised IP could only correct (smooth) so much. So, while the engine was not running optimally by any means, it was kept running by this electronic/mechanical handshake.

So, when I swapped in the new IP(s) and they got the new time sets and TDC Offset adjustments, all bets were off.

That’s my theory (others think I’m a little whack too) but, I’m sticking to it.

Anything found during the teardown and rebuild that would contribute to that theory, like abnormal cam lobe wear or something that would affect the overall timing relationships between the mechanical of the motor and electronics/mechanical of the IP?

Issues found during teardown:
During teardown, the valves were the only abnormality noted. They appeared to be CKO and had collapsed to almost -0.075 vs. the ideal -0.030.

Valve stems showed excessive wear but there was no scaring or other damage to the Rockers. Previously noted, it is surmised that the non-OEM/CKO valve springs were unable to hold the valves shut and air was pushing past the seats too.

The Cam was pulled and inspected. It is on the shelf as a spare for some future day and a new unit was installed. There was some slight wear on the main bearings, etching or scratches that shouldn't be there. They were 'ok' but, replaced out of an over abundance of caution.

ECM swaps.:
Sometime after the IP swap(s) I tried a stock PCM purchased through a yard and it too was a no go. Over the years, I've been a benefactor / guinea pig for many a tune. 21 to date and all with the old IP. The last few (eight or so) I received and tested were received after the smoky start issue was beginning to manifest itself. and all of them induced excessive smoke, poor idle, no acceleration etc. Truck couldn't get out of its own way. Sometimes the truck wouldn't even start. Another time, I had to remove and replace with my old PCM just to get home as I'm at the top of a 7% grade. All of the 'fails' were unique to my truck though. All of them worked in other trucks when their owners tried them. Very frustrating to be 'that guy.'

@Paveltolz ok, go back a minute please.
The valves that had the unusual wear- was this with the roller rockers?
- remember it was found early on that there was an issue with them and they were locking up a little on a couple engines?
iirc they had to be reshimmed and @n8in8or ended up with a set that had rounded tops for intake and square tops for exhaust or something similar.

I am wondering if the rockers could have created some kind of side load and pressed the valves to wear oddly.

The reverse is possible too- they just fit the valves wrong which wore poorly and caused all the other mess or if the valves are just junk material.

@Paveltolz ok, go back a minute please.
The valves that had the unusual wear- was this with the roller rockers?
- remember it was found early on that there was an issue with them and they were locking up a little on a couple engines?
iirc they had to be reshimmed and @n8in8or ended up with a set that had rounded tops for intake and square tops for exhaust or something similar.

I am wondering if the rockers could have created some kind of side load and pressed the valves to wear oddly.

The reverse is possible too- they just fit the valves wrong which wore poorly and caused all the other mess or if the valves are just junk material.
No, I don't and never have had roller rockers. Good info though as I hadn't heard of that issue. 18-Rockers Close Up.JPG

Back