• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Sump

I remember someone showing how they did theirs on here a few back. But can’t remember who it was. Give some time and hopefully they pop back in and see this.

A fuel sump is when you cut a hole into the low spot of the fuel tank, add the sump which is a cup like device that has hose ports in it. So all the fuel comes out the bottom of the tank rather than getting sucked up a tube.

I remember someone showing how they did theirs on here a few back. But can’t remember who it was. Give some time and hopefully they pop back in and see this.

A fuel sump is when you cut a hole into the low spot of the fuel tank, add the sump which is a cup like device that has hose ports in it. So all the fuel comes out the bottom of the tank rather than getting sucked up a tube.
I don't feel the need to drop the tank and install a new FSU with big pipes. Mine is new three years ago and works fine. The inside of the tank looked brand new at that point. I have an old tank (junk) so I can measure where Not to drill (so I avoid the box GM installed to prevent loss of prime at low fuel conditions). I have time- just looking for tips!

I like the idea of a sump as the last 5 gallons in my truck always results in a stall. But I chose a slightly different direction as I didn't like how the sump isn't really protected being mounted on the bottom of the tank

Was going to do a separate thread or include in my build thread, but here's a few pics of my future setup. I also have a Raptor 150 sitting on the shelf and am going to run 1/2" line from tank to IP. I purchased the AirDog draw straw kit for going from the tank with 1/2" line. Does involve dropping the tank, but I had to swap out tanks last fall as mine was leaking. Minimal work required, drill one hole for the draw straw and go. I opted for mounting behind the GM location as fuel goes to the back of the tank under acceleration, and I wanted every last bit of help when running low on fuel going uphill. Plus my driveway slopes uphill and I've had the truck run out of fuel when warming it up in the morning even if there's still some in the tank

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

Has anybody here installed a fuel sump in a gmt400? Which one did you use, where did you drill, and did it ever leak? As soon as my s10 is back on the road I'm going to do one, as I have 1/2" line from before the Airdog to right before the ip.

Just curious, you mentioned getting your S10 back on the the road. What year is it and is it a project you have been working on. I have owned a few of them over the years and still drive a 2002 model as my daily beater.

Back on topic, good luck on your fuel sump project....:)

I like the idea of a sump as the last 5 gallons in my truck always results in a stall. But I chose a slightly different direction as I didn't like how the sump isn't really protected being mounted on the bottom of the tank

Was going to do a separate thread or include in my build thread, but here's a few pics of my future setup. I also have a Raptor 150 sitting on the shelf and am going to run 1/2" line from tank to IP. I purchased the AirDog draw straw kit for going from the tank with 1/2" line. Does involve dropping the tank, but I had to swap out tanks last fall as mine was leaking. Minimal work required, drill one hole for the draw straw and go. I opted for mounting behind the GM location as fuel goes to the back of the tank under acceleration, and I wanted every last bit of help when running low on fuel going uphill. Plus my driveway slopes uphill and I've had the truck run out of fuel when warming it up in the morning even if there's still some in the tank

View attachment 75005

View attachment 75006

View attachment 75007
Where does the straw and that adaptor collar come from ? Parts store item or is it with the Air Dog ?

Just curious, you mentioned getting your S10 back on the the road. What year is it and is it a project you have been working on. I have owned a few of them over the years and still drive a 2002 model as my daily beater.

Back on topic, good luck on your fuel sump project....:)
IMG_20220530_084547902_HDR.jpgIMG_20220530_084729947_HDR.jpgIMG_20220530_084641132_HDR.jpg
2000 zr2
Needs a left bed side (it's waiting in the barn), and it has holes in the front of both rockers.
IMG_20220530_085341890.jpg
It's waiting on me to finish my shop (almost there)!

Thinking of mounting this gadget right here. Since an AirDog requires them to be run on the "return to tank" line, I have a problem. I don't want to run a boost referenced line all the way to the back of the cab. I certainly don't want the regulator and sending unit exposed to all the road grime. I also don't want to run 25' of return line from the AirDog to the engine, and back to the tank. I am shooting for 22-25psi at the IP at wot.
SOOOOO.......
I am going to run a 30psi spring in the pump and plumb the regulator in on the pressure side of the pump. I will then have two return lines- one from the regulator and one from the AirDog which I will join together with a 1/2" barbed Y from Fleece. Then I will still have just one return line to the tank. Tech at Thoroughbred thinks it will work.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20221224_100250288.jpg
    IMG_20221224_100250288.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 5
Back