• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel contamination

@Will L. The other truck does me no good ..it's a single cab with bucket seats and won't pass a inspection without a lot of work.. I need to have a crew cab I have a kid in a car seat and wife has tons of appointments constantly. And we have nobody EVER to watch the baby. So no, the other truck will not do.. we have not had one minute of one day in 14 months that the kid wasn't with us.
I get that im chasing a lot of problems. Honestly I don't care about the brakes. I care about going not stopping. (But I can stop the truck just fine ) back drum brakes barley ever do any work anyway.
And actually I'm not chasing a lot of problems.. here are the problems.
1)bad fuel system
2) no back brakes.
3) SOMETHING caused the truck to feel like it's dragging intermittently.
I don't know if it's from a electrical issue, if it's a abs issue, if it's a tranny issue. If it's a fueling issue..
I just don't know! So I'm always brainstorming different thoughts of things that could possibly cause it. I don't have scanners, or guages or temp guns or anything.. I have a 350 piece craftsman tool set and other assorted hand tools I've picked up. I don't know how to use electrical stuff I don't know how to check ohms and line pressures etc. I don't have the education you do. I know how to build stuff the 1800s way without gadgets. Hell I honestly don't know how to use a timing gun...
I don't know what else to do but keep trying stuff till something works

That would be nice. But I can't move till my mom dies. Which will be awhile. And I can't get enough out of this place to pay moving expenses and pay cash for another house. I couldn't get a mortgage if my life depended on it.
Just my lot in life

That would be nice. But I can't move till my mom dies. Which will be awhile. And I can't get enough out of this place to pay moving expenses and pay cash for another house. I couldn't get a mortgage if my life depended on it.
Just my lot in life
Just my lot in life
We're trying to get our house livable. Gotta a quote yesterday of about $500,000

I think that was a, we don't want to do it, but if you'll pay this much, we'll buck up

500,000 to get it livable? I want to make sure I understand you right you're saying that that is just the cost of fixing a house you already own I'm not sure I want to know how much you paid for it. Our house is assessed at 32,000... When they do the reassessment it will probably go back up to around $80,000 because we have made the outside look really pretty.
I could never get that out of it right now. Half the floor joists in the basement are rotted, when you walk through the dining room the floor bounces under you because all that's holding it together is the multiple layers of plywood that are all screwed together... one of the foundation walls is buckled right in. But they don't take that stuff into consideration on an assessment they just go by what the outside looks like and how much square footage..

500,000 to get it livable? I want to make sure I understand you right you're saying that that is just the cost of fixing a house you already own I'm not sure I want to know how much you paid for it. Our house is assessed at 32,000... When they do the reassessment it will probably go back up to around $80,000 because we have made the outside look really pretty.
I could never get that out of it right now. Half the floor joists in the basement are rotted, when you walk through the dining room the floor bounces under you because all that's holding it together is the multiple layers of plywood that are all screwed together... one of the foundation walls is buckled right in. But they don't take that stuff into consideration on an assessment they just go by what the outside looks like and how much square footage..
It's only a 1300 sq ft house with a 30 x 32 garage foundation.

The last guy quoted us $300,000 to tear down and rebuild.

Should have bought the neighbors house a couple years ago for $200,000 when interest rates were low

Should have brought

So I dumped the little bit of fuel out of the tank today I was supposed to have a boat tank delivered by 2 so figured I'd get the big tank out.. drained it fuel was really welrd cloudy but not like slimy cloudy.. just looks dark.. this may sound like dumb question but are the diesel bugs brown? I then was told the boat tank would be coming till Monday so had to put the tank back in the truck.. I put fresh fuel in it. No tranny fluid or anything.. just some of that diesel tank kleen ... Which is clear so won't effect color.. I siphoned out the filter housing multiple times. Kept refilling it with fresh diesel then resiphoning it.. every time I dumped fuel it ,it stirred up crap off the bottom..so I kept getting more and more crap out.. mostly brown crud ( possibly rust) and little silver flakes, which is problem from the original tanks liner that disintegrated.. filter was dirty and a little gritty, but not slimy or anything. Obviously I put a fresh filter in it..

Pics

Attachments

• KIMG5140.JPG
    KIMG5140.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG5138.JPG
    KIMG5138.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG5135.JPG
    KIMG5135.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG5134.JPG
    KIMG5134.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG5137.JPG
    KIMG5137.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG5139.JPG
    KIMG5139.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG5136.JPG
    KIMG5136.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1
Those are each 16oz water bottles.. I siphoned fuel out of the filter housing and put it in a bottle.. filled the housing with more fresh fuel and repeated multiple times that's why so many bottles.. you can see the worst ones were the first I siphoned.. but the pics are not in order . Got less crud each time.

Been watching this thread, sorry for the luck Stoney. Your luck is just like mine!

Question for @Will L. - I make "poor man's biodiesel" for my TDI that is literally just 4 parts waste veggie oil filtered down to 5 microns and 1 part high octane ethanol free gas. So 80% veggie and 20% gas. I've also run this in previous 6.5s I've owned with zero issues. Don't run it in the P400 since I tow regularly and the homemade fuel just doesn't flow enough or have the oomph that the dino fuel does.

Question is, if I hooked Stoney up with some of this fuel, would it help kill the bugs while also keeping him on the road? It could be run straight or mixed with diesel 50/50, just don't know if it's enough percentage gas to kill the bugs on its own or diluted.

@DieselAmateur . Where I'm kinda confused right now with the guys is how do I clean the injection pump and ffm? After getting all that crap out of the ffm today it makes me wonder if any of that got past the filters and to the pump... That's A LOT OF CRUD. especially since I'm not sure if it's rust or bugs or what . I'm putting in all new fuel lines (rubber) from ffm to the tank once I get the boat tank. To eliminate any possiblity of rust in the future .. I thought about new metal lines but can't find them local and probably extremely expensive anyhow.. I figure rubber can be changed easy and if contaminated in future can just roll it up and put it in a bucket of gas overnight..
I've never taken the engine apart down to the pump. But I was thinking there's a filter right where the line goes into the pump from what someone said.. but I'm wondering if there's crud down in there to..

The day my truck originally got screwed up we changed the fuel filter and didn't realize we threw out the little plastic filter under it. So there wasn't one in there for well over a year.. Even then that day there were the little silver flakes in the ffm. From the tank liner disintegrating... We just didn't catch it. I've wondered if possibly when we pulled the filter (and the little screen) if possibly some of those flakes went down the line to the pump since the screen was gone so it could easily get in there.. in which case the little screen in the pump would the last defense trying to stop it.. I took the garbage tank out almost a year ago I think.. and even today I was still getting metal flakes out of the FFM.. so there's no telling how much of it got sucked through the system... I've actually considered that could possibly cause my intermittent lack of acceleration and dragging feeling... The feeling always happens either right after I've stopped the truck or got on the brakes and then go to accelerate again... So there could be flakes down in there and when you let off the throttle the pump pressure lets off and releases them then you get back on the accelerator again and start sucking harder and it could be pulling them down the right way to plug something... Just a working theory.. one day I've got to figure out how to get in there to open that up.

That looks like sand and a little rust particles. are you able to pull the FFM off the engine to wash it out with some gas or carb cleaner? I know you will probably have to pull the intake to do it. if not you can rig up a 5 gallon bucket and attach a house hold vacuum to it's lid. then put a 3/8" fuel line or clear flexible tube through the lid to the lower part of the bucket so that when you run the vacuum cleaner it draws only air and not fuel. use the small tubing to suck all the stuff from the inside of the FFM. DO NOT use any carb cleaner or gas with this vacuum setup as the fumes can get into the motor area and go boom!!

all you can safely do to clean the IP out is after the FFM is clean, install a new filter and have fresh clean diesel flowing out of the filter housing. disconnect the return line from the IP and attach a long hose and drop it into a bucket. turn on the LP and let it run a bit till the fuel coming from the IP return line is clear. afterwards you can start it up and again let it run till the fuel coming from the IP into the bucket is clear. when you start it up, keep an eye on the return line you disconnected from the IP on the engine because there will be some fuel, not a lot, but some will push out of there from the injectors.

after everything is nice and clear, reconnect the truck's return line to the IP and you should now have a fresh clean supply of diesel to the IP and back to the tank.

@Will L. @WarWagon correct me if I missed something here.

Back