• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel contamination

That is one of them, yes. Problem is many people don’t get good results in first few uses, and you will go through multiple filters finding out if it works for you.

Basically it is poisonous to the bugs, but there are multiple types of bugs and no one brand does them all. Like weed killer, they all SAY they work but in reality they don’t always

@Will L. I understand what you are saying.. I'm just thinking that I have it, and I don't have the big money to go the other route. And you were saying something about the truck being down for a month and letting the tank sit to kill stuff and such.. if my truck is down for a week we're completely screwed let alone a month. Remember we are not near civilization. There's nothing here but a gas station and a dollar general.
So my thinking is since I have this product that is supposed to help, and I've only got a few gallons of fuel in the tank right now why not run it to just about empty as can be or pump out what is in it into a bucket, and then dump this stuff in and get fresh fuel.. the other problem I'll have doing what you say is that tank has baffles in it so there's no way to get to the center 2sections of the tank. I'm just figuring maybe it will buy me some time. Just a thought

Think of sand in the oil pan. But every 12 hours someone puts a little more in there.
Thats what happens in the fuel. The “sand” is the bugs (wether dead or alive) and they are grinding away the ip, injectors, LP.

Whatever you do, do it sooner rather than later is my suggestion.

If the injectors get wiped and start spraying a stream instead of a mist- truck will run bad for a couple days, then will destroy a piston. Obviously ruined ip is more common

I was figuring on putting about 15 gallons in the tank once it's about empty. And treat it then. Or get the fuel in cans and treat it then add to bone dry tank. That way it's fighting only the bugs on the tank walks.. I already bought new fuel hose to redo everything hose wise. I guess I could get a couple gallons of gas and slosh it around in the tank when it's empty as will said but there's no way to scrub the inside of the tank.. then run gas through the lift pump and change the filter before putting the new lines in. I know @Will L. Said to use alot more gas and then wash out with more diesel and dispose of both gas and fuel . But I don't have that much to waste so just thinking this idea is better than nothing. With the biocide in the fresh fuel I would think as long as I keep adding it every tank for awhile it should help.. I could be wrong.
I'm not sure what else I can do.. if gas kills it I guess I don't understand why all the extra wasted fuels..but I'm assuming there is reason. But that still leaves the lines from the filter to injection pump, the pump, and lines to injectors. If I add whatever other stuff @jrsavoie says to, and however much gas to the new fuel am I just wasting my time and money or will this at least help.

@dbrannon79 it's in the scrap yard.. I took it out because the liner was flaking apart in it.. I kept finding shiny little flakes in the filter when I'd change it. Pulled the sending unit and looked in tank. It was full of them. I think I posted pics of it inside on another thread.

@dbrannon79 it's in the scrap yard.. I took it out because the liner was flaking apart in it.. I kept finding shiny little flakes in the filter when I'd change it. Pulled the sending unit and looked in tank. It was full of them. I think I posted pics of it inside on another thread.
ok that makes sense. next question... lol

your other truck. it still needs a lot including a diff repair to get on the road right? what year is it? what I'm getting at is will the fuel tank be able to mount on your dually and work for a while? allow you to remove and clean the aux tank out while having fresh UN-contaminated fuel in another tank doing this without spending but very little money.

@dbrannon79 that's a good question..I'm not sure..the other truck is a 2000 5.7l gasser.. it seems like someone once said you can't use a gas tank for diesel.. but that may only be cause of the fuel pump in a gasser.. the pump is shot in it so that wouldn't matter since diesel uses the lift pump not in tank pump.. heck I could probably use a couple 5 gallon fuel cans and just run hoses into them.

Goes back to though. What happenes if I clean the tank and change the lines , I don't think cleaning the IP is within my skill set considering how touchy they are.. I'm hoping @jrsavoie will be able to provide info on other biocides to add and how much gas per gallon when I refill the tank to kill this crap..

@dbrannon79 that's a good question..I'm not sure..the other truck is a 2000 5.7l gasser.. it seems like someone once said you can't use a gas tank for diesel.. but that may only be cause of the fuel pump in a gasser.. the pump is shot in it so that wouldn't matter since diesel uses the lift pump not in tank pump.. heck I could probably use a couple 5 gallon fuel cans and just run hoses into them.
Securely Strap them down.

Goes back to though. What happenes if I clean the tank and change the lines , I don't think cleaning the IP is within my skill set considering how touchy they are.. I'm hoping @jrsavoie will be able to provide info on other biocides to add and how much gas per gallon when I refill the tank to kill this crap..
For biocide,
I have used whatever I stumble across. I use biocide for maintenance.
I'm not positive it's a good idea. Just something I have done.

The Kleen is usually found everywhere. The last, other bug killer I used was from John Deere.

I added alcohol free 89 octane gas - it's what we had delivered to the house - at a rate of 1 gallon of gas to 500 gallons of diesel. Along with a gallon of ashless 2 stroke oil.

If'n I was in your shoes. I'd either sell to an informed buyer or add the biocide, gas, maybe some Hotshots and run it.

I would not worry bout the lines unless they're bad.

I would pump the tank dry, clean things up some. Add a fuel pressure gauge and run.
I'd also be looking for a cheap dependable runner.

It's never good to have just one vehicle.
I've had a lot of good runners, that got good mpgs.

2 - 1988 Chevy Spectrums,
1982 Chevy diesel Chevette.
1981 Datsun 510.
2001 & 2005 Nissan Sentras.
2009 Nissan Versa.

Stay away from timing belts.
Unless they're a long way from needing serviced and they have proof of service

I've bought vehicles for as low as. 6 pack and run them for years. The most expensive above was $3400

Last edited:
you can use the tank from your gasser truck only check the sending unit fitting but they should have the same fitting thread as the lines on your truck, otherwise slip some diesel hose over the lines pushing the fittings back and clamp it. also remove the sending unit and pull the pump off. attach a short piece of diesel rated hose to where the pump connected to reach the bottom of the tank to serv as a pickup tube securing it to the lower part of the sending unit so it stays at the bottom. no screen needed if you have a filter before the lift pump. use the straps from the gasser truck if the tank is a different size, it all should fit and be able to strap in place like it was from factory. as for the fuel gauge, iirc the sender should have the same ohm reading where you would need to finagle a bridge to connect. I don't think the connectors will be the same since it "had" an internal pump. you can test the level sender before you install the tank moving it up and down while someone in the cab watches the gauge.

remember this is a temproairy fix for a tank on the cheap until you can afford to splurg on a tank and sender for your truck :)

this should get you a clean and bug free tank to use on the cheap. in the meantime add the treatment to the fresh diesel and run it. after a couple of tanks I would think that the engine would have burned through anything "growing" in the lines or the IP.

when you go to add diesel to the newly installed tank, take you a 5 gal jug to the station and fill a small amount in there making sure the fuel is rather clear. if it's not. go get fuel from another station.

oh and if the tank had a little rust in it, this is where the fun part comes in lol... make sure you have access to a shop vac, but dry out the tank and add in some small pebble rocks. you and your wife can shake the beegee's out if it then vacuum out the tank though the sender hole then wash and rinse out with a little fresh clean diesel :)

this won't remove the rust but will break free anything loose in there so it won't get into the filter or lines.

oh and if the tank had a little rust in it, this is where the fun part comes in lol... make sure you have access to a shop vac, but dry out the tank and add in some small pebble rocks. you and your wife can shake the beegee's out if it then vacuum out the tank though the sender hole then wash and rinse out with a little fresh clean diesel :)

this won't remove the rust but will break free anything loose in there so it won't get into the filter or lines.
There are companies that have tank coatings. Not sure how to use them or how they work. If you do have rust in the tank, it might be worth looking into.

I would find another tank to use rather than mess with the gas tank.
The junk yard might work for that.

Back