• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel contamination

Here is the drawing I have for the relay mod on the OPS. I didn't draw it, got it online. the only difference that I did was the orange wire supplying power to pin 87 I used a hot from my fuse box to pin 87. you only cut the grey wire on the ops plug and splice into the two ends for the relay.

OPS relay mod.jpg

HVAC rated copper tubing from the hardware store? just thinking outside the box here, but it's easy to bend and shape, resists heat, and will hold the pressure from the LP easily. won't rust out ether. others may chime in on this, but I think considering the cost of a 25' roll of diesel rated fuel hose it's probably about the same price and will last longer! you'll only need hose and clamps at the connections. keep a short piece of the factory steel line that has the fitting on it to connect to the lift pump connecting it with a short section of hose and clamps!
THATS A BIG NEGATIVE.
NO copper, brass, any red metals with diesel or gas containing any bio fuels or alcohol fuels. The short version is chemical reaction is no bueno.

Ok tonight is case in point. Never drove the truck today until 25 minutes ago..we drove here to my mom's house so she can see the grandbaby.. the truck ran like a champ the whole way here through stop and go city traffic and doing 60-65 on the highway.. it ran great, never dragged a bit . Now the ONLY things I did under the hood today was dran the t valve again( no sludge and very little rust, just tiny bit of rust dust in bottle) .
Other thing I did was unplug that 3wirevplug I took pic of next to ffm earlier.. I unplugged it and twisted it around a couple times to unwind it a little.. it goes down under the ffm but not sure where it goes to..
Could be coincidence that truck decided to behave great tonight and not drag, or MAYBE that plug goes to something important that would effect it.. I don't know.. when we leave here the truck might run great again, or might drag the whole way home.. have to wait and see

Is the rubber ring still on the connector? If missing they can leave the connector loose and possibly have a bad connection Just by moving it around its now making good contact?

Just got home and the truck ran like a dream the whole way except one time taking off from a light it felt sluggish..
This probably won't make sense but when it's sluggish ,the throttle pedal feels like it's harder to push ,than it feels when it's not sluggish..
Can anyone tell me what the wire goes to? Is that to the ops? It has 3 wires and goes down under the ffm area, BUT. If it's to the ops then That would mean that the wires from ops to the main harness have a plug on both ends like a pmd extension cable.. is that right? Or does that go to something other than the ops.?

Never mind I actually just got up in the engine compartment and handle looked down in there between the intake and the FFM to see the doubt does in fact go to the ops... On the end near the harness on the firewall there is not one of the little squishy ring things between the two plugs so I guess tomorrow I'm going to start investigating right there

I agree with you @Will L. But I don't have much choice. Aside from I have to go to work for the weekend, I literally don't have the 100+ dollars your talking about running through it in gasoline, treatment, and fresh fuel.. I literally don't have it. And there's a hundred and ten dollars worth of fuel in that tank .. I know I've said it before but I'll say it again.. we're poor.. and I mean dirt floor poor... What little I make leaves us all of about 20 bucks left at the end of the week. I'm not exaggerating, I'm not complaining, or anything like that.. I'm making you understand.. I don't have any money to spend like that.. if I did my brakes would have been fixed a long time ago.. it sucks but it is what it is.. when I find some extra work that's worth doing and pays enough to make it worth it I'll get this stuff done.. I don't live where I can get to anything without the truck. Yes I realize eventually the truck is going to completely die because of neglect and I'll have to scrap it. Life is what it is and there ain't shit I can do about it.. blame the government and all the assholes that insisted covid was a reason to shut down our country.. .
They destroyed my life, cost me my business, and took everything I worked for .. chances are I'll never get back what I had. And that's just how it is..
I'm sorry I'm ranting but I'm trying to explain... I bought this house with every penny we had literally. And they shut everything down the same week.. the only good thing is that we own it out right and can't be evicted .
I'm not in a area where there's tons of places hiring that will actually hire you.. they all say there hiring but never hire anybody.

Yeah I learned about vacuum suction a couple weeks ago when I changed the lift pump.. got soaked in diesel.. still can't get the smell of diesel out of my cloths
Get a piece of stainless steel and rub hands with that. The smell will somehow be gone.
Laugh but try it. A guy where I used to work had the smell of rotten old gasoline on his hands and was complaining. I told him go out to the steel rack, rub Your hands on a piece of stainless steel. He laughed and told me i was selling him some snake oil. Told him before You start calling me a POS go out and try it.
He left, came back in with this look of bewilderment on bis face. I got to laugh. He said I dont know how ITF that works but it sure does.
I told him You can buy stainless steel bars, like a bar of soap for just such occur aces.
Will it work on fabric 🤷‍♂️ Give it a try.

@jrsavoie I agree but the problem comes and goes.. it will run great one minute and then like shit the next.. that do testing it might show fine at that moment but 10 seconds later it's shitty again.. I can turn the key on and get under the truck and feel the lift pump running. And most of the time I can hear it from in the cab before I start the truck. Because it runs for 8 or 10 seconds while the glow plugs are warming up. .. honestly at this point it's seriously a matter of addition firing the parts cannon at it constantly until I happen to get it right
If the lift pump is running I wouldn't fire the lift pump relay upgrade canon unless it's 1995 or older. If it's 1995 or older I would definitely do the relay upgrade

Otherwise I would spend that money on a fuel pressure gauge.

Have you run a gallon or so out the T drain into a jar?

You can pay attention to surging and view the quality of your fuel.

Could also be the fuel cap.

I get it Stoney- why I added ABSOLUTELY NEEDED in there.
I been homeless and all I had was a carwith no papers. Vegas sux, honestly. But there is work here so I stay.

On the truck, I just give what the ideal thing is and you have to modify it to however you can do best. Maybe value of pickups are different there than here. But here any running truck is worth more than a running car. Ya might be better off selling it before it dies and get a car that is less money to run, IDK.

Having another good ds4 to drop on makes the rules change. Run this one till it dies and hopefully it is a while.

Dig up a 5 gallon jerry can and do it like your transfer tank and once you Use up that fuel You can have the transfer tank on the ground and let it be dry a couple weeks. The dead bugs are much easier to clean. More so you stop them from growing so fast.

Pull that fuel filter every couple days and a pint of gasoline to scrub the housing and tooth brush clean the filter.

Time spent with elbow grease can be used in place of $ for a lot of gas.

On the job front- best thing I ever did to get out of my situation was part time at fast food then a regular restaurant. Free take home some nights and once a week got some free fryer grease for fuel.
I Just filtered it best I could by t-shirt, then cut with gasoline (cheaper now anyways)
And that was a few gallons of fuel. Mixed that in with my diesel. IDK if you tried that route of work or not. Out here- records don’t matter, neither does being illegal alien for that industry- it never pays much but makes a little more adding in the free chow.

@Will L. Around here honestly I don't even think it's my record that is mattering.. my sister-in-law has applied to 100 places and I mean that literally and has not gotten one call back. And she's applying to places that have help wanted signs all over the place and they have no new people there ever. I heard a rumor and I don't know for a fact that this is true. But it definitely would make sense.
I heard that the government is either paying large companies or mandating them or something to have X number of jobs listed. Even though they don't want / need anybody. Normally I would think that was crazy but it actually makes sense Biden wants to say that the job market is huge and if you want a job you can have a job that's part of his way of saying the economy is booming.. if I remember right those statistics are based on job opportunities Nationwide..
I have put an applications at even AutoZone carquest advanced Auto supermarket factories places I'm well more than qualified to work in. My one neighbor actually applied to every place I applied to one week cuz we did it together neither of us have gotten called back from anywhere.
Around here the restaurants sell their fryer grease now they figured out that it's worth money.
@dbrannon79 yes it is a 1997. The lift pump comes on when you turn the ignition on to prime the system if I understand right that is different than the older ones. I'm going to suck out the fuel housing later today at the car wash and put another clean filter in it.. before I do that I will run a gallon of gas out of the TV I never ran that much out of it I usually only ran like a water bottle worth out as I've shown in the pictures I didn't know if it would make that much of a difference.. but I can try it.

Nah, I know too many people that own business and some of them large.

My b.i.l. Is the exec chef of a major restaurant on the strip. Anyone that watches those cooking shows probably has seen him on tv a couple times.

Trying to hire knowledgeable cooks is a pain. He goes through 100 applications to find one guy that knows how to tell medium steak from medium rare without cutting it open.
The grunt of a commercial kitchen is the dish washer- he hires guys that 90% of them quit in one or two shifts. Pay isn’t amazing but not bad either.
But they all quit and say “i can work easier at McDonalds and make over half this amount. They just don’t wanna work their way up through the ranks.

I have a friend that owns a pool cleaning business, which is year round work here. He pays $20 an hour and guys quit because the heat sucks. He finally just gave up and only works the pools he can himself. Used to be people would fight for that amount.

California is paying homeless- Seriously look into it. Those places, no way people will work. But their whole system is about to collapse.

If there is legit no work there and you don’t see it turning around soon- you need to pack up that truck and find a new place.
Go into your nearest fast food joint that is understaffed and ask to talk to manager. Out here it is on the spot interviews. Some Wendy’s stores offer pay at the end of each shift! They are trying to hire. Pay sux because of inflation but do what I did- work two full time jobs to get enough cash to go get into something that pays better.

Move over to here. Lots of construction jobs.
The roofing jobs is plentyful too and they knock off when the temps gets to XX.X degrees, go back before dark after it cools off some.
The Montana DOT cant find truck drivers and the pay there is mighty fine. Be sanding and plowing winters and hauling whatever in the summers. Also be stepping up to be an equipment operator which pays more too.

Back