• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frustrated 1997 6.5 owner looking for some advice/ answers

Going from memory; Glow was probably lit a little longer- unlike my memory.

Truck is at shop, so I can’t verify.
GP’s are cheapo’s -threw them in while it was still running. Tested them individually and they all worked.
PMD was functional, but was a generic version.

Thanks for the input!

Mike

No way to test PMD for continuity that I know. I did see a website a long time ago that talked about looking at the output on an oscilloscope and checking its waveform. But I don't know procedure or pin or what the waveform looks like. Sorta a test you have to know its injecting fuel to think the PMD is good but that is not a conclusive test I don't think. Hence most replace with a known good one and eliminate it as the cause.

Don't think any of them are significantly different on reliability all else being equal. The heat sink and location is the key.

A PMD failure (or related harness) is one of the few things that will allow the engine to cut off as if a key turned it off then crank no start. You could check the harness continuity to make sure something did not break corrode or come loose etc.

Good thought- I have the Current PMD remote mounted behind front grill on a long harness. This truck is turning my hair grayer! Need to check for continuity. I can’t seem to let it go, but it’s killing me slowly....

Good thought- I have the Current PMD remote mounted behind front grill on a long harness. This truck is turning my hair grayer! Need to check for continuity. I can’t seem to let it go, but it’s killing me slowly....

These trucks seem to do that to the owner. It’s like one of our kids. It gives us fits and we get angry but we can’t help but to love these old rigs.

Have you checked for a fuel leak? I just put my 6.5 in the shop today because of a fuel leak. It just shut off when it was running.

It cranks, but repeated try’s to start has taken a toll on the batteries. I have had batteries on charger several times before I gave up and sent it to repair. They are not breaking any news quickly other than what’s been posted previously.

Have truck with a mechanic currently, latest update in previous post.

Thanks for replies; look forward to input that will get me running again!

Mike

Spec somewhere on minimum RPM when cranking or "Forget IT!" IT AIN'T GOING TO FIRE, PERIOD. Load test batteries, and check for minimum cranking RPM cold. Starter and battery cables suspect if batteries OK. A starter can loose 1 of 4 brushes and spin slow. Too slow to start though. Yes, it takes two good battries to spin fast enough.

And the origonal problem may still exist.

Means that the engine is running ? LOL
Welcome to thetruckstop.
I didn't mean to say something stupid. I don't know a lot about diesels, I always thought smoke coming out the tail pipe was bad. That's why I joined this site to learn. I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions! Thanks for the welcome.

I didn't mean to say something stupid. I don't know a lot about diesels, I always thought smoke coming out the tail pipe was bad. That's why I joined this site to learn. I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions! Thanks for the welcome.
Might be sometimes I should back up and think, what might be funny to Me may not be so funny to others. I was being a smart ass and do apologize for that. Yes, My K3500 it belches out a fairly big cloud of a bit of a mix, white and black and sometimes just white and other times just black. it is a normal thing for these old diesels to lay out a bit of a smoke screen until the cylinders get warmed a little and the ignition rattle sounds quiets down a little.

Some of the older diesels such as the 71 series and older cummins, when it is getting real cold, like winter conditions, they will lay out a cloud of smoke You swear will never clear up. Over at the DOT We would fire one of them old rigs up and it looked like half the town was burning down. LOL

Might be sometimes I should back up and think, what might be funny to Me may not be so funny to others. I was being a smart ass and do apologize for that. Yes, My K3500 it belches out a fairly big cloud of a bit of a mix, white and black and sometimes just white and other times just black. it is a normal thing for these old diesels to lay out a bit of a smoke screen until the cylinders get warmed a little and the ignition rattle sounds quiets down a little.
Yeah, I understand. When people ask about things that to you seem common sense or simple, it can be frustrating. Thanks for tolerating me and thanks for the info.

If you do a video of it and record outside temperature, post it on YouTube and a link to it here - we can see if it is normal.

Making sure you following is correct- crank speed, glow
Plugs working, no air in fuel via clear ip return line and you covered the most common issues.

Color of smoke and volume (size) description could help if you cant do video

No bad questions here - ask away.
He wasn’t trying to troll you or anything- just a quick joke that once you get used to your diesel you will make yourself. More than one 6.5 was named Puff the magic dragon or cloud maker.

If you do a video of it and record outside temperature, post it on YouTube and a link to it here - we can see if it is normal.

Making sure you following is correct- crank speed, glow
Plugs working, no air in fuel via clear ip return line and you covered the most common issues.

Color of smoke and volume (size) description could help if you cant do video

No bad questions here - ask away.
He wasn’t trying to troll you or anything- just a quick joke that once you get used to your diesel you will make yourself. More than one 6.5 was named Puff the magic dragon or cloud maker.
It's in the shop right now so I can't do a video. The smoke has been pretty black and there's been a pretty good amount, but it has been sitting up awhile. When it was being driven more there was not as much smoke. Yeah I understand that now. I guess I just need to learn how to take a joke.

@Will L. "Smog machine", "mosquito fogger", "Put out the lights" (Put out headlights behind you...)

Back