• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frustrated 1997 6.5 owner looking for some advice/ answers

Mmleone

Reaction score
Truck in solid shape, looks great, just will not run. Getting fuel to pump but not past it. New pump or injectors? All advice welcome!

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome to the forum.

Yep fuel in doesn't guarantee fuel out of IP.

Look over the diagnostic checklist posted on here for ideas and all the stuff we need to know to give targeted ideas.

Broadly RPM, temperature, fuel are key but details needed including introductions etc.

According to mechanic, fuel is getting to pump, but not beyond.
I had a WVO system put on around 10 years ago, but have not used it for at least 7. Supply and straining oil made it not worth the effort. Had a toggle switch to go from D2 to wvo.
I have 3 VW diesels, but not quite as familiar with the 6.5. I love the truck, still rust free, but it does not start.
Should I be looking for a new pump?
Thanks for the replies and advice!

Mike

So was this an occasional driver and has been parked for too long (a season) and just doesn't want to start up and run but cranks over fast. Or was this all of a sudden running fine driven regularly but turned into a no start situation in last couple of weeks?

So was this an occasional driver and has been parked for too long (a season) and just doesn't want to start up and run but cranks over fast. Or was this all of a sudden running fine driven regularly but turned into a no start situation in last couple of weeks?
It was used when needed (wood, plowing neighbor’s driveways, moving bulky objects). Had a power steering issue resolved in July, then used it to pick up a washing machine, about a 90 mi round trip. Ran great, no hiccups. Someone upstairs was looking after me, because as I crested the hill on my driveway, it shut off like I turned off the key (only I didn’t). Has not fired up since.
I guess I should have shared that detail.
It cranks, but repeated try’s to start has taken a toll on the batteries. I have had batteries on charger several times before I gave up and sent it to repair. They are not breaking any news quickly other than what’s been posted previously.

Have truck with a mechanic currently, latest update in previous post.

Thanks for replies; look forward to input that will get me running again!

Mike

Yep, PMD/FSD - pump mounted driver or fuel solenoid driver is a prime suspect. It was a weak link on these trucks. They failed in a number of ways with many doing just that engine stalls or dies like you cut the key switch off then IP won't send any fuel to the injectors. No OBD codes are set. The engine cranks over like normal. Fuel is delivered to IP and it recirculates like IP is working but doesn't inject fuel into cylinders.

There is no good way to test a PMD. It was early tech of electronically controlled injection events so operates in the milli-microsecond range of switching. Most people replace with a known good one (if it turns out not to be PMD/FSD you keep the old one for a roadside fix when the new one fails or use the old one and keep new one for a roadside fix). The best solution was to add a longer harness and mount it between the bumper nostrils or outside of engine compartment heat. They will still sometimes fail but usually, live a longer better more reliable life on a good heatsink mount & location. Check out the forum vendors for FSD's, heat sinks, and harness extensions.

Yep, PMD/FSD - pump mounted driver or fuel solenoid driver is a prime suspect. It was a weak link on these trucks. They failed in a number of ways with many doing just that engine stalls or dies like you cut the key switch off then IP won't send any fuel to the injectors. No OBD codes are set. The engine cranks over like normal. Fuel is delivered to IP and it recirculates like IP is working but doesn't inject fuel into cylinders.

There is no good way to test a PMD. It was early tech of electronically controlled injection events so operates in the milli-microsecond range of switching. Most people replace with a known good one (if it turns out not to be PMD/FSD you keep the old one for a roadside fix when the new one fails or use the old one and keep new one for a roadside fix). The best solution was to add a longer harness and mount it between the bumper nostrils or outside of engine compartment heat. They will still sometimes fail but usually, live a longer better more reliable life on a good heatsink mount & location. Check out the forum vendors for FSD's, heat sinks, and harness extensions.

I keep an extra in truck. I have had the pmd mounted behind the grill. I thought the same thing you said initially. Is there a way to test the PMD for continuity?
Is there brand that has a reliable product?

Thank you for the reply,

Mike

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: ___1997___
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) ____k2500_____
- Automatic
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) ____app__130k___
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) ______pmd_____
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? ______________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) ________NE Ohio weather__
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) _____D2, wvo but not for years____
- What fuel additives are you using? ___________
- Where are you located? ____NE Ohio_________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter ____good_____
- Fuel filter ___recent______
- CDR Valve? _______?__
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at _______?______
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at _____reg; ~ 1 year not used much with conditions______
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at ______depleted from fruitless cranking_______
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): ________?______
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? ____not many, truck has been idle_____ What type? ______?_______
- Injectors - last changed at ______not known_________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? ___mid July___picked up a washing machine, 80 mi round trip. Died in my driveway, hasn’t run since________
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? ____did not get driven much_________
- Has this problem ever happened before? _______not to degree of not starting________________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. ______________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) __n__ And? ________

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? ____no_____
1b] Does the engine crank over? _____yes___
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? ___most likely, no______
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? ____yes____
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? ___Y, 3-4 sec______
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? ___yes______ For how long? ____4-5 sec_____
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? ________
1h] Does the Service Engine Light Glow during Start/bulb check? ________

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? ____yes________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? ______?___
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? _____?______
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? ____?_____
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? _____yes______

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) ____remote_______
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? ______vendor___
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. ____?_____
3d] PMD Make: ______?_____
3e] PMD Age: _____< 1yr________

4] Stalling Issues
4a] Do you experience stalling only when hot? ____________
4b] Does it stall under particular circumstances? (ie hit bump, or on accel) ______
4c] Does pouring cool water over the IP seem to help with restarting? ___no______
4d] Is stalling momentary (engine recovers)? _________
4e] Does SES light come on when engine hiccups? _________
4f] Does cruise control quit working when engine hiccups? _____?______
4g] Does re-starting seem to reset engine, restoring cruise and power? ____no_____
4h] Changes to dash lights or instruments during stalling events? ____no_______

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? _____?__
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? ____?___
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? ______no____
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? ____no_____
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? ____no______

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges (boost, EGT) ? ____no_______
6b] Maximum boost under load? _______?_____
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? ______________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? ______no__________
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum (OEM)? _____oem_________

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? ____?_______
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? _____no____
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? _____no_______
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? ____no____
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? ____new, ?______
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? _____no______

List and describe any other factors which are not addressed in this checklist. We can’t see, hear, smell, or touch your truck, so the more descriptive information you can give, the more likely it is that somebody can assist you.

On question 1 the glow time seems a tad short. Also you need to verify what brand glows you have. There are some pretty crappy ones out there.
On question 2 you need to answer ALL of them

Back