• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

first start of the year,..no oil pressure?

bison

Reaction score
I fired up my old 89 today after sitting since nov last year.
Check oil and coolant,..all good.
Turned the key to turn her over without using the glows to get some oil flowing to the bearings and fully expecting "click..click" cause of dead batts but instead she fired up right away and purred like a kitten happy to be alive again.
But no oil pressure showing on the gauge , i have a mechanical gauge under the hood, so i checked there,..no pressure there either.:skep:
I shut her down, looked underneath for a blown line or filter,..all good no leaks.:nonod:
Fired her up again,counted to 15,..nope, still no oil pressure.:???:

Everything was okie dokie when I shut her down last fall :agreed:

Any idea's

700k km's, the dirty pig finally let you down.:hihi:

Maybe a bypass valve stuck open?

I can't see 2 gauges both being wrong. Is there any knocking?

I had a 74 Nova with a 350, at idle the oil light was on, with rpm's the pressure spiked when checked with a gauge, It was a broken spring in the oil pump.

Lost the prime in the oil pump? Drop oil filter and spin the pump with a priming tool to see what happens.

Change oil and filter?

Lost the prime in the oil pump? Drop oil filter and spin the pump with a priming tool to see what happens.

Change oil and filter?

My thought to, drop the filter, disconnect the pump so it won't start, and turn it over for a few seconds and see if you get oil come out. If you do put the filter back on and it should get pressure, if it doesn't it don't look good for the engine.

The oil and filter was changed shortly before i parked for the winter.
I can't see the pump not being able to prime cause the oil level is right up to the gears and i have have this truck sit every winter for the last 6 or so years,..never had a problem before.
I guess as soon as i have some time i pull the oil pump drive and see if i can spin up oil pressure with the drill,.. maybe the hex on the shaft is stripped , which is not impossible with the miles on it.

The oil and filter was changed shortly before i parked for the winter.
I can't see the pump not being able to prime cause the oil level is right up to the gears and i have have this truck sit every winter for the last 6 or so years,..never had a problem before.
I guess as soon as i have some time i pull the oil pump drive and see if i can spin up oil pressure with the drill,.. maybe the hex on the shaft is stripped , which is not impossible with the miles on it.
WTF, I thought those bison looked after themselves? You should have all the time in the world.:hihi:

Some years back I had a 454 do the same thing. I tried priming with a drill and it didn't get it. A friend told me drop the pan, open the plate on oil pump and pack it with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and retry. It worked like a charm. Ran for a couple years till I sold the truck.

WTF, I thought those bison looked after themselves? You should have all the time in the world.:hihi:
OK..ok,...mebbe i shoulda said when i feel like it :D

He's too busy sleeping in. :D

Yep, lovely ain't it ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535

Some years back I had a 454 do the same thing. I tried priming with a drill and it didn't get it. A friend told me drop the pan, open the plate on oil pump and pack it with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and retry. It worked like a charm. Ran for a couple years till I sold the truck.

No way in hell i gonna drop the pan on this old cow :nonod:

Pull the filter off, over fill it with oil by 2 quarts, and gravity will force oil into the pump. Spin it over, and you should have oil.

Gotten lucky before with just a oil pump. Yea it's a pain but better than scraping the motor or the whole truck.

That's too much damn reedin'... I'd rather blame stuff. :D

What brand oil filters do you use generally? (anti drainback thingy inside?)

Back