• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

first start of the year,..no oil pressure?

Mike I have 4 spare hasting oil filters for the D-max ,they came with the truck. I should be good for a couple years ;)

But what is wrong with fram :???:,..been using them forever and never ever had a problem with them.

Cut one open, Simon. Cut open an ACDelco off the same truck.

I haven't used a FRAM filter since I did that, about 20 yrs ago. Maybe they're better now, but somebody else can find that out.

Drama not the cheapest anymore. Don't think the from quality has gone up just cheaper filters being made.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

Cut one open, Simon. Cut open an ACDelco off the same truck.

I haven't used a FRAM filter since I did that, about 20 yrs ago. Maybe they're better now, but somebody else can find that out.
Jim i took your advice and cut one open.
I did not have an AC delco but i had a used hasting from the D max so i cut that one open as well for comparison

The filter media and steel insert on both was identical but the Hasting had a spring loaded bypass valve in the cartridge and is a little sturdier than the Fram
Actually the Fram has also a means to bypass as it has a flexible rubber ring in the top that allows the filter cartridge to lift of the seat in the bottom.
Both filters were not that dirty and the paper cartridges were intact.The fram was replaced at 8 k km,..don't really know about the D-max as it was overdue as well
Based on what i have noticed i have no problem using fram filters on the 6.5's,..i have an whole box full new ones on the shelf anyway.

Jim i took your advice and cut one open.
I did not have an AC delco but i had a used hasting from the D max so i cut that one open as well for comparison

The filter media and steel insert on both was identical but the Hasting had a spring loaded bypass valve in the cartridge and is a little sturdier than the Fram
Actually the Fram has also a means to bypass as it has a flexible rubber ring in the top that allows the filter cartridge to lift of the seat in the bottom.
Both filters were not that dirty and the paper cartridges were intact.The fram was replaced at 8 k km,..don't really know about the D-max as it was overdue as well
Based on what i have noticed i have no problem using fram filters on the 6.5's,..i have an whole box full new ones on the shelf anyway.

Filter media was significantly different when I cut them apart, Simon... about half the surface area (folds) in the Fram. (at that time). I've picked up new filters in the store, one in each hand, and been amazed at the weight difference between a china filter and a napa or purolator, for instance. Does it make a huge difference? I dunno, but for the price, I'd go for the better one.

Neat that the spring bypass is different; I can't remember if I noticed that back then, or not. Maybe mine didn't have one; it was for a 302 Mustang.

Its my understanding the Dmax does not have a bypass valve in the block therefore its in the filter itself. The 6.5 has a filter bypass valve in the oil passage of the block not the filter.

Pay attention to how the ends of the element are sealed and how the end cap / base is manufactured or joined. That is another critical area. And I don't know if it matters but I like to look at the quality of the base or head metal and the threads.

Fram element is sealed with a steel press formed seat in the bottom and a rubber cup in the top. No drain back prevention valve found
Hastings element is sealed with a hard plastic spacer and spring in the bottom against the bypass valve, the spring loaded valve fits inside the element.
At the top is a hard plastic spacer ring and a rubber washer separating incoming oil from outgoing oil.
The end caps with the treads are identical on both and similar to any other screw on filter brand i know.
The bowls are coke can material,..did not look at the joint to close, appears rolled and crimped

Back