• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FB find

Now that is a thing of beauty, and, for 2500 bucks, be worth a try to make it fit in place of a 6.2 in a truck.
I wonder, without looking it up if it is a 6 cylinder ?

I even found an old thread where you guys on here were talking about one.

YUP, it sure definetely is a six, pretty good rating on the ft lbs of torque too.
I wonder if the 4L80 trans would be enough to handle the load ?

Here is one on Ebay for a bunch more money...

I thought they both engines might be the same one, I looked, one on FB has white tape over the ports, this one has blue tape over its ports, could not possibly be both the same. L O L

Parts availability must be wonderful for those that like a challenge. Loose a starter or try to find that harness or ecm somewhere-
The only reason GEP sells anything to the public is because they have to on the 6.5 platform. Look up sourcing from the original company. Try calling them up and ask price for some parts on that engine. You’ll be quickly turn a blind eye to the name styr. You’ll have better luck getting parts to a studebaker.

Edit- or rather additional thought-
My looking into parts for styr was some years ago. It could be they are much more available now. I shouldn’t discourage anyone from this, but would say look into availability of parts/ support before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
Did some checking and STEYR list's this engine, so maybe you can get major parts for it direct from them. They have a pretty good rep in the marine industry for not giving much trouble. It appears they're now electronically controlled unit injection now. There is finally an affordable aftermarket diesel controller available that could run it if you wanted more power or had an ECM failure.

If I was in the market for a diesel in this size/power range for a half ton truck, I would be looking at a MERCEDES OM648. It was only used for 2 years in the states, but is rock solid, and with the new aftermarket controller the average person could afford one. You can take the bellhousing and converter from the trans that comes behind them and drop them into the heavier NAG2(?) 5 speed trans, and have one heck of a combo you can get parts for. As you can see I've put some thought into using one for a swap. But with the cost of diesel and the EPA regs that started over the last year, diesel has fallen out of favor in my view.

Did some checking and STEYR list's this engine, so maybe you can get major parts for it direct from them. They have a pretty good rep in the marine industry for not giving much trouble. It appears they're now electronically controlled unit injection now. There is finally an affordable aftermarket diesel controller available that could run it if you wanted more power or had an ECM failure.

If I was in the market for a diesel in this size/power range for a half ton truck, I would be looking at a MERCEDES OM648. It was only used for 2 years in the states, but is rock solid, and with the new aftermarket controller the average person could afford one. You can take the bellhousing and converter from the trans that comes behind them and drop them into the heavier NAG2(?) 5 speed trans, and have one heck of a combo you can get parts for. As you can see I've put some thought into using one for a swap. But with the cost of diesel and the EPA regs that started over the last year, diesel has fallen out of favor in my view.
I see there is lots of support and aftermarket for that Benz too........

I see there is lots of support and aftermarket for that Benz too........
There's a bit. Overseas there hasn't been alot of development on them because of the factory ECM and how hard it's been to crack. Blacksmokeracing has managed to be competitive in drift racing with one running an aftermarket controller(NIRA IIRC). Until recently the most affordable aftermarket common rail controller has been in the $2500+ price range, but a DIY has one out now for $1200 that can fully replace the factory controller with unlimited tuning possibilities, or run most any 8 cylinder diesel that uses a solenoid injector(he doesn't have PIEZO out, yet). He's the same one who built a controller for the BOSCH M pump used on the OM60X series of engines.

Back