• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AM GENERAL OPTIMIZER 3200 6 CYL DIESEL 'BAD SS DOWN TO THE CRANK'

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
Well, I just saw the spec sheet for AM GENERAL OPTIMIZER 3200 I'm impressed and hope it will become available for us civilians. At just over 500+ lbs, 300 hp max and 550 lbs tq w/mechanical injection it looks to be the great 6.5 replacement as it adapts to many transmissions too.................I WANT ONE!

Looks like a overhead cam chain or belt mess.

Frankly I already have one rated like that in the 2003 Dodge with the 5.9. At 305hp and 555 ft lbs it's enough power for me.

I bet it will eat transmissions like crazy as a 6.5 replacement.

4L80e transmission can be built to easily handle the HP/TQ of this 3200 for much less than a transmission conversion like an Eaton road ranger, Allison etc..

Did some digging, and this is a steyr engine(Austrian made). Steyr is known for making lower cost diesels for marine use that are small, lightweight, but very powerful. This particuliar engine was actually designed back on the early 2000s for the Spanish military for one of its small combat vehicles, but due to budget cuts they opted for a 4 cylinder. So it was designed for military use from day one. It is backed by the 6 speed allison for military use, but is also set up to be a nearly drop in replacement for the 6.5l utilizing the same cooling system and etc. From what i could dig up, the military has been using it since 2009, and has no plans of selling it to the general public like the p400. From everything I could find, it appears to be quite a piece of engineering using ohc, twin turbos, monoblock design, and all forged steel internals. A few have gotten ahold of them for H1 swaps, but not much else about them.

Did some digging, and this is a steyr engine(Austrian made). Steyr is known for making lower cost diesels for marine use that are small, lightweight, but very powerful. This particuliar engine was actually designed back on the early 2000s for the Spanish military for one of its small combat vehicles, but due to budget cuts they opted for a 4 cylinder. So it was designed for military use from day one. It is backed by the 6 speed allison for military use, but is also set up to be a nearly drop in replacement for the 6.5l utilizing the same cooling system and etc. From what i could dig up, the military has been using it since 2009, and has no plans of selling it to the general public like the p400. From everything I could find, it appears to be quite a piece of engineering using ohc, twin turbos, monoblock design, and all forged steel internals. A few have gotten ahold of them for H1 swaps, but not much else about them.
Public can't buy one yet, oh well I liked the fact it is a small package and weighs so little for a diesel.

Back