• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farming Thread:

We started it in farm thread on DP, but anyone get new equipment they are excited about? Me I got 2 new pivots and a Bale Bandit. I can't wait until hay season.

We're getting a new 1,800' T-L pivot in a couple months. Looking forward to seeing that dude in action. Looking to get 1-2 more depending on if we can get access to the city's waste water.
I'd like to pull our new air-ride Timpte trailer but for some reason I keep getting stuck with the old spring axle tractor and trailer :prrr:

a bale bandit...

when i get to baling more than 20K small squares i'm getting a bale bandit. those things are awesome.

We're irrigating now trying to get the beets to come up, it's been so dry. The corn will probably be up before all the beets are.

New equipment, I bought a 1992 JD 9600 combine. Hopefully I get a bunch of custom work to do with it or it will look good on an auction. It's damn nice for it's age though. I've had 4 people ask how I bought a brand new combine. So I guess it looks pretty nice from the road.

A T&L? Uck. We have some valleys that were put in in 1971 and still running. Could use replaced though. The new one we put up couple years ago is a Reinke. It's really nice, has the advanced panel so I can tell it to stop at so many degrees and stuff like that.

We're getting a new 1,800' T-L pivot in a couple months. Looking forward to seeing that dude in action. Looking to get 1-2 more depending on if we can get access to the city's waste water.
I'd like to pull our new air-ride Timpte trailer but for some reason I keep getting stuck with the old spring axle tractor and trailer :prrr:

How many towers is in a 1800' pivot. Ours are like 1300'. We run all Valleys. I have looked at the t-l's and I like the constant drive, but my Valley dealer is the best so I have a hard time trying anything else.

a bale bandit...

when i get to baling more than 20K small squares i'm getting a bale bandit. those things are awesome.

I can't wait to bale with it. I found this one with a Hesston 4590 baler for less the $40 k. Both units had less than 4000 bales through them.

We're irrigating now trying to get the beets to come up, it's been so dry. The corn will probably be up before all the beets are.

New equipment, I bought a 1992 JD 9600 combine. Hopefully I get a bunch of custom work to do with it or it will look good on an auction. It's damn nice for it's age though. I've had 4 people ask how I bought a brand new combine. So I guess it looks pretty nice from the road.

A T&L? Uck. We have some valleys that were put in in 1971 and still running. Could use replaced though. The new one we put up couple years ago is a Reinke. It's really nice, has the advanced panel so I can tell it to stop at so many degrees and stuff like that.

We had a Valley pivot that ran for 35 years before it fell down. We are going to repipe 4 towers and put it back up between two other pivots.

Ours have been down a couple times. One got knocked down by lightning even. They still run but they are getting thin. Hoping to replace them with new Reinke's in the next few years. I really like that one. Not that the new Valley is bad either, but the nearest Reinke dealer is 120 miles away and still gets machines put up in a few days where the local Valley guy takes months. The Reinke guy wants me to be the dealer for here. We put one up already for him. Took us 5 days total, 3 people most of the time. Not bad for our first one ever, next time we'll know where all that stuff goes and it will be quicker. Still beat the Valley guy doing one across the road for 2 months.

Ours have been down a couple times. One got knocked down by lightning even. They still run but they are getting thin. Hoping to replace them with new Reinke's in the next few years. I really like that one. Not that the new Valley is bad either, but the nearest Reinke dealer is 120 miles away and still gets machines put up in a few days where the local Valley guy takes months. The Reinke guy wants me to be the dealer for here. We put one up already for him. Took us 5 days total, 3 people most of the time. Not bad for our first one ever, next time we'll know where all that stuff goes and it will be quicker. Still beat the Valley guy doing one across the road for 2 months.

Yes the dealer is EVERYTHING. My 35 year old one fell down on a Monday and we had a new pivot to water with on Saturday. That includes shipping it from Nebraska and building it. The guy that builds our pivots can build a whole pivot in one day if things go well. It's amazing to see to say the least. Where in Wyoming are you NAr?

Wheatland. Southeastern corner. The guy that put up our Reinke when we got it a couple years ago did it in a day with 4 guys. Then another guy did the final wiring and startup. I think right now after having done one we could do it in 2-3 with 3 people. I was using my 8100 with loader with a boom thing I hung off it. They have a sweet boom truck that can move in directions the loader can't without unchaining and moving the tractor. If I was putting up a few I would try to find a boom truck. Actually already found one, might have to buy it. His truck has a nice hose reel for the impact and bins all along the side that have all the bolts sorted so it goes really quick. I'd copy his if I got one.

Small world. My uncle and his wife lived there for a long time along with her kids. Randy and Betty Marble. Her kids are Brent and Brad Wilson. Ring a bell?

what does a center pivot cost to put up??

Depends... many many factors. New machine with new pump station, new mainline and wire, new incoming power...for 120 acres, used to be in the neighborhood of $80k. You step up to a Valley Precision Corner system (THE ONLY WAY TO GO, IMHO) with the CAMS2 panel, it's spendy. That panel is a work of art though. You can write programs in it for irrigation patterns, say the field is composed of different crops with different watering req's, you can have it slow down or speed up as necessary, it'll even control fertilizer packages (on/off) at varying positions. I worked for an irrigation company for 2 years, they sold Valleys, mostly Cornell Pumps, when steel was skyrocketing they offset the cost a bit by switching to Goulds for a while. I grew up on a farm in Eastern Washington, it was rill irrigated for many years with miles of concrete ditches, checks, & siphon tubes. My dad put 5 Valley track and roller corner systems on it, and within 5 years upgraded them to the Precision Corner systems with remote panels (pivot panels at pump station so you don't have to go through all the wet and muck to the pivot.

The 2 pivots we put in this year were ~$77,000 just for the pivot. All the other stuff just added alot of money. The one pivot had over 3/4 mile of 10 inch pvc mainline and that cost a pretty penny.

Yeah, I figured I was a little low by today's market. I forgot that pretty much everything went up, PVC after Katrina, copper, steel...

The 2 pivots we put in this year were ~$77,000 just for the pivot. All the other stuff just added alot of money. The one pivot had over 3/4 mile of 10 inch pvc mainline and that cost a pretty penny.

how many acres will that 3/4 mile long pivot cover? 500+??

Nemesis you get the star student for that math. :sifone: Most the pivots I run are 1/4 mile machines that will cover ~140 acres.

Back