• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fan Clutch?

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Hate to make all these threads, but it makes searching things in the future infinitely easier. RockAuto shows Hayden, Four Seasons and AC Delco for fan clutches, the Hayden being $75 and the AC Delco being $119. Is the AC Delco going to be $50 better? I don't want to replace it again for a while (doing it for PM as it is), and if it's worth it, then I'll do it.

FWIW, I bought some "BOSH" glow plugs, they were in pretty BOSCH box, in the box was ACDelco glow plugs clearly etched "ADelco Made in Germany", so, nowadays with parts you never know what's in the box...

Got the Fan Clutch in. 2 notes: whatever jackass at GM decided to use those push-pins to hold the fan-shroud together needs to be shot, and no parts store carries the proper fan-clutch tool, so I had to make one with the holes in it work with a couple custom ground bolts, lol. The fan clutch was the easy part of the weekend though, lol.

Those push pins aren't that bad, once you figure out how the buggers work.

It's just the angle that you can't get at them at, and the fact that they were welded together after 10 years of heat and abuse. I ended up punching one of them out with a hammer and screwdriver. I bought new ones at the parts store, which I fully intend to have to destroy again in the future...

Here is a tip, when taking off threaded fan clutches use a air hammer and a long chisel bit. Knock the clutch in the direction to spin it off. Takes seconds to get them off.

Reactions: NVW
Here is a tip, when taking off threaded fan clutches use a air hammer and a long chisel bit. Knock the clutch in the direction to spin it off. Takes seconds to get them off.
Yyep, I've never used a wrench to take one off. The air hammer just works.

Actually it spun right off with the wrench I also borrowed from O'Reilly's, lol. Just holding the pulley was the hard part. I saw the Air Hammer tip elsewhere, but didn't need it.

On the lower clips the hold the upper and lower shrowd together I replace with zip ties. Otherwise the top ones aren't bad.

I built a spanner wrench thing too. Mine have never been too hard once I got the spanner wrench thing built.

I should have, but I needed a couple other things anyways, so I just made the rental work. It's our last vehicle with a mechanical fan, so I only need it for that, lol. Everything else is electric fans...

Back