• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fan / Clutch Upgrade

ELK!!! Haha! I somehow knew that was coming! Scared the sleeping dogs making me laugh that loud at quarter passed midnight.

Yeah, I can see a slight constant restriction to make clean up easy. And while I dont have near the bugs or Elk you guys do.
But I have two to throw in the mix: cross some water deep enough to cover your radiator. Surprisingly most of the silt goes right through. But dozens of sticks the size of pencil leads about twice as long and partly decomposed leaves by the handfull plug things up pretty good and are annoying enough to take away alot of the fun. But what is worse? This:
41869DFB-0EED-4335-BBDA-35556C7B8BBE.jpeg

Adding: Small furry things like cats, Coyotes, tumbleweeds, tire debris, small cars, road gravel esp in snow country, Elk...
I was only considering insects and flying bugs, not critters, but you forgot pheasant and the occasional chicken!

ELK!!! Haha! I somehow knew that was coming! Scared the sleeping dogs making me laugh that loud at quarter passed midnight.

Yeah, I can see a slight constant restriction to make clean up easy. And while I dont have near the bugs or Elk you guys do.
But I have two to throw in the mix: cross some water deep enough to cover your radiator. Surprisingly most of the silt goes right through. But dozens of sticks the size of pencil leads about twice as long and partly decomposed leaves by the handfull plug things up pretty good and are annoying enough to take away alot of the fun. But what is worse? This:
View attachment 52027

And in Will's case... How does the screen hold up for keeping brick wall debris out of the radiator? :p

This is my 3rd version of coolant protection, and have bounced a bird or two without any damage. I dry brush the bugs off the screen easily as necessary, and then hose it off from the top down to prevent squirting bug parts into the 'stack'.

We have towed heavy from San Diego, CA to Austin, TX in summer, and frequent trips down Baja to Cabo. The screen did not prevent good cooling even with the dual A/C running in 110 plus heat.
The clutch spring mod, 9 blade plastic fan, 180 deg t-stat, air dam, clean 'stack', and reverse flushed cooling system filled with (mostly) Evans coolant, all work great together.

The large air dam helps cooling by directing more air up into the radiator instead of under the truck, and creating more of a low pressure area behind it to draw more air out of the radiator.

And with that, I am wondering before ordering, if the restricted bypass hose fitting that Leroy sells would help the 2000 year engines ?
In the end I had the bypass and used the medium duty fan clutch because it has 112% more viscus clutch area over the stock 6.5td fan clutch. However; my Burb was busy under the hood w/dual gen/alt, and IC/CAC piping blocking airflow to passenger side of the 6.5 then there was the issue of exhaust temps in that area too.

ALL v belt waterpumps are ok, no panic there.
Serpentine belt 4 bolt waterpump were 97 gpm. Then GM made the H.O. waterpump which was 127gpm (often called 130 gpm as rounded figure) and is still 4 bolt water pump. This still flows 75% driverside, 25% pass side.

Then GM corrected the problem with a balanced flow waterpump that also does 127 gpm but is identifiable by the single large nut that mounts fanclutch to pump- this is the "spin on".

If you choose to run the 4 bolt pump, add a secondary temp gauge reading the passanger side head, and know that the coolant against cylinder #8 is 10-15 degrees hotter on a silver dollar sized location due to flow issue. just be careful. 1 advantage to the H.O. 4 bolt pump is easy use of hmmwv 100% lockup clutch that is rebuildable every 100,000 miles-ish for $50 from ebay parts kit. about $130 new from dealer.

Also- NEVER buy reman waterpumps for these. I will use reman waterpumps on rigs, I don't care. But the remans FREQUENTLY put on wrong impeller size, direction, etc because there were so many options made, so avoid them on this engine.

The thing that made it easy and cheap for so many was when peninsular diesel used to sell the take off new pumps for $20, so it was the cheapest part. (boats use different water pumps), but peninsular is now closed, sorry all.

So as noted on the electric fan post I ordered a spin on water pump, but it was pointed out I order the wrong one. So I assume there are two different spin on pumps as well. put this out for clarification .
Thanks

Back