• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine install thread, opinions welcome

Its my old man's shop, had nearly everything I guy could want /need.
The starter is only a month or two old. Started the truck maybe 5 times before the piston cracked.

Holy heart attack! For a minute I thought you were saying you just now cracked a piston after it started 5 times after install. Then it hit me cracked piston so now the install...

My wife is all looking at me funny from me yelling at my phone "OH NO HIS NEW ENGINE!!!" I was explaining to her what I thought happened, then it hit me.

Ready to see that blue ride on the road- and man your video style could make a 0-60 time about 0.8 seconds!

Holy heart attack! For a minute I thought you were saying you just now cracked a piston after it started 5 times after install. Then it hit me cracked piston so now the install...

My wife is all looking at me funny from me yelling at my phone "OH NO HIS NEW ENGINE!!!" I was explaining to her what I thought happened, then it hit me.

Ready to see that blue ride on the road- and man your video style could make a 0-60 time about 0.8 seconds!

I have a special camera, use it at work too.

I had a small stroke yesterday when I thought it was leaking coolant from the starter... Turns out it was fuel coming from the manager, bad seal on the filter.

I laughed about it after.

I have a special camera, use it at work too.

I had a small stroke yesterday when I thought it was leaking coolant from the starter... Turns out it was fuel coming from the manager, bad seal on the filter.

I laughed about it after.
Coolant leaking from the starter? Now THAT would be one serious #8 cylinder wall failure!

That sucker does scream- what is that?

20161006_185216_zpsopddg0m6.jpg

that's the quickest install i've ever seen!
nice shop.
i was afraid the starter was going to give out.

Give him credit for only 30 second bursts look like.

The (hair dryer) blower + turbo mod should be popular. Will the 1/4 mile extension cord slow it down on the track? :D

Not sure, might need a shim.

The "NO Shim" cast on the starter is on it for a reason. Look on the drive end solenoid level. 6.2's and 6.5's do a couple of things differently and apparently it's important enough to mark the starters...

So if you feel the need to shim it something else is very wrong!

Obtain two new "special" starter bolts from GM. Make sure the rear starter bracket is on. (GM would be the place to get the proper bolts with the least risk of counterfeit parts. You do GM only because you are tracking down a starter issue.)

Then if the starter does anything funny, stupid, or even gives you a bad feeling what-so-ever remove it in the nice shop and obtain a good starter elsewhere. Not fun changing them in the snow. It's worse when they hang in spinning till you pull the batteries. It's a simple damned motor and solenoid, but, truth is stranger than fiction of the number of ways a rebuild can be screwed up.

Give him credit for only 30 second bursts look like.

The (hair dryer) blower + turbo mod should be popular. Will the 1/4 mile extension cord slow it down on the track? :D

Everyone in there own life has someone that they deal with, daily, that knows everything.

For me, that guy is my someone, happens to be my father.

Rather than argue, I left him do his stupid $hit, only thing is this time it was captured on video

The "NO Shim" cast on the starter is on it for a reason. Look on the drive end solenoid level. 6.2's and 6.5's do a couple of things differently and apparently it's important enough to mark the starters...

So if you feel the need to shim it something else is very wrong!

Obtain two new "special" starter bolts from GM. Make sure the rear starter bracket is on. (GM would be the place to get the proper bolts with the least risk of counterfeit parts. You do GM only because you are tracking down a starter issue.)

Then if the starter does anything funny, stupid, or even gives you a bad feeling what-so-ever remove it in the nice shop and obtain a good starter elsewhere. Not fun changing them in the snow. It's worse when they hang in spinning till you pull the batteries. It's a simple damned motor and solenoid, but, truth is stranger than fiction of the number of ways a rebuild can be screwed up.

20170114_140121_zpsdkswci4o.jpg

These are a spare set of what I used. I have a lot of spares now. Are they "special" enough?

Also made sure I had the starter bracket, first I've ever seen/used. My old #141 never had one.

Everyone in there own life has someone that they deal with, daily, that knows everything.

For me, that guy is my someone, happens to be my father.

Rather than argue, I left him do his stupid $hit, only thing is this time it was captured on video

:facepalm:
So do you have him change the starter out? That and power steering pumps I hate doing and be #1 and #2 on the $hit list. Check out the meltdown my project truck had from the prior owners. Probably should change it...
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/1992-6-5td-rescue.44332/#post-502826

20170114_140121_zpsdkswci4o.jpg

These are a spare set of what I used. I have a lot of spares now. Are they "special" enough?

Also made sure I had the starter bracket, first I've ever seen/used. My old #141 never had one.

Sorry it's hard to convey why I suggested "New". Bent, slightly worn from being loose, and who knows what else used bolts may hide. Simply suggesting shims need to be avoided on these 6.x engines and ways to tackle the problem rather than hide the symptom. (Shims are standard practice on other engines, sure.)

I have a busted starter mount ruining a otherwise perfect block in my garage at this very moment. I obtained it very cheap just for the heads. So forgive us if we are very overbearing about the bracket GM used on the now antique 6.x instead of more metal in the area or a diesel industry proven 3 bolt starter mount.

You will find your attitude better suited to the other site.

Back